Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-22-2021, 09:16 AM   #1
Big 417

Wall framing at opening

Hi guys n gals. I've been keeping an eye on this section of wall on our Fuzion 417. It's up front, bottom left corner of wardrobe slide. It's appears like there is a bend in the aluminum wall framing, or possibly at a welded joint. It hasn't gotten any worse than this. I intend to stick my bore scope in there at some point to see if I can see anything. It's right at that "weak" point where the outer wall has the pre cut joint under the slide.

Maybe the weight of the slide? Or just where things wanted to settle. It's out about 3/16" over 5".

Anyone seen or experience something similar. There doesn't appear to be any damage to the units main frame.

Sorry, only have the one picture at this time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210618_211108695.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	200.5 KB
ID:	34220  
Big 417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 09:31 AM   #2
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big 417 View Post
Hi guys n gals. I've been keeping an eye on this section of wall on our Fuzion 417. It's up front, bottom left corner of wardrobe slide. It's appears like there is a bend in the aluminum wall framing, or possibly at a welded joint. It hasn't gotten any worse than this. I intend to stick my bore scope in there at some point to see if I can see anything. It's right at that "weak" point where the outer wall has the pre cut joint under the slide.

Maybe the weight of the slide? Or just where things wanted to settle. It's out about 3/16" over 5".

Anyone seen or experience something similar. There doesn't appear to be any damage to the units main frame.

Sorry, only have the one picture at this time.
I saw something on the forum in the past..search “broken welds” or “sidewall crack”. Might have something to do with service bulletin and first stages of welds failing on sidewall
Old 06-22-2021, 10:51 AM   #3
Big 417

Yeah, I've seen those. Although my Filion isn't cracked in the same manner, I suspect it is a failed joint in the aluminum framing. Suppose the wall framing takes up some of the frame flex from the pin, and somethings eventually gotta let go.
Old 06-23-2021, 05:54 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

If your trailer was purchased with the 3 year structural warranty that Keystone started around 2018 (yours may or may not have the warranty) then I'd contact your dealership to file a repair claim. They can advise you best on how to proceed.

Yes, it does appear that there is an issue with the sidewall structure which is laminated filon/luan/foam/luan with the welded aluminum frame "sandwiched" between the luan layers.

While you could have a "aluminum frame or weld failure" you could just as easily have either a adhesive failure between the FILON and the luan layers or damage to the foam core of the wall structure... Someone needs to look at it and make that determination.

Depending on the warranty situation, if it's covered, I'd advise you to get it fixed by Keystone. If the warranty has expired or if your trailer was purchased before Keystone started that program, it is not covered under the 3 year warranty, then depending on the extent of the damage and how it's progressing, you might want to spend the "big bucks" to repair it, contact your RV insurance company to see if they will cover the repair costs or if it's not progressing (getting worse) you might simply want to "watch it for now".

The repair costs will likely "not be cheap".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 06:14 AM   #5
Big 417

I got in there with my bore scope. You can see where the aluminum stud has separated from the interior luan panel. I can't see far enough down to where the weld is. And I don't want to open it up any further till I hear back from the dealer. It almost looks like it could have been pushed out from the slide cable attachment. As in the weight of the slide forcing the wall out.

I have contacted the dealer, I believe my unit is prior to the 3 year warranty. See what they say. I wouldn't be scared to tackle the repair myself. I'm a finish carpenter with access to some good fabricators.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210622_19_53_45~2.png
Views:	51
Size:	771.6 KB
ID:	34252