Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-15-2021, 07:56 PM   #1
malcod

rear jack height/ noisy pump

New cougar 30rls - Two observations
1:Rear jacks when fully retracted is about 6 inches off ground when camper is level. I believe camper is fairly level when hitched up. There is 2.50 " clearance above jack head. see any problem raising jack about 1.5-1.75". There are times when i fear the jack will bottom out.

2:The water pump seems noisy. \Definitely noticeable when operating. Very hard to explain on here the noise level and maybe i'm just picky. I suppose when passing by a dealer I could have them observe.
malcod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 08:24 PM   #2
bobbecky

Quite a while back, I replaced the pump in our rig with a Shurflo 4048 pump and also installed a Shurflo Silencing Kit, https://www.amazon.com/SHURFLO-94-59.../dp/B000WN5F96
This made a huge difference in reducing the noise from the pump. Actually, the pumps do not make that much noise, but the vibration in the plumbing while the pump is running is the majority of the noise. You need to make sure the pump is isolated from the hard PEX piping by installing the silencing kit, and to make sure vibration is not transferred to the plumbing, you might have to shorten the PEX going to and away from the pump so the flexible kit parts can really isolate the pump vibration.
I find, a little noise from the pump is good, so you know when it's running and also when it's not and you want it to be running.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 07:25 AM   #3
LewisB

I'd also suggest a pressure accumulator used in conjunction with Bob's silencing kit. These are relatively inexpensive little "bladder tanks" that will reduce the cycling of your pump and also help with the quieting issue. Such as: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
The tank is divided by a bladder with air on one side. The amount of pressure can be varied with the shrader valve as necessary. I set mine at install and have never had to subsequently adjust - true for multiple trailers over the years. When you first open a water outlet, the air pressure on the bladder forces water to flow until the pump finally senses low pressure and comes on line. So, you will find that your pump cycles less and thus there is less noise.
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 05:50 PM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisB View Post
I'd also suggest a pressure accumulator used in conjunction with Bob's silencing kit. These are relatively inexpensive little "bladder tanks" that will reduce the cycling of your pump and also help with the quieting issue. Such as: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
The tank is divided by a bladder with air on one side. The amount of pressure can be varied with the shrader valve as necessary. I set mine at install and have never had to subsequently adjust - true for multiple trailers over the years. When you first open a water outlet, the air pressure on the bladder forces water to flow until the pump finally senses low pressure and comes on line. So, you will find that your pump cycles less and thus there is less noise.
This and that air bladder acts as “dampener” to absorb the pulsating from the pump. Most place refugee a similar set up on residential water heaters to accumulate expansion of the hot water.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote