Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-04-2021, 09:32 AM   #1
Heavy_Chevy
Gone Traveling

Microwave outlet not working

Per the title, I've already completed step 1 of troubleshooting by taking microwave out and testing on another outlet and it works. No tripped breakers, no blown fuses at the fuse panel under the fridge, but outlet isn't getting power. I've checked the wire connections behind the outlet but I can't get it out far enough to unhook. Any ideas? Inline fuse somewhere I don't know about?
Heavy_Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 09:35 AM   #2
Camping family

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy_Chevy View Post
Per the title, I've already completed step 1 of troubleshooting by taking microwave out and testing on another outlet and it works. No tripped breakers, no blown fuses at the fuse panel under the fridge, but outlet isn't getting power. I've checked the wire connections behind the outlet but I can't get it out far enough to unhook. Any ideas? Inline fuse somewhere I don't know about?
I would think it might be connected to a gfi. If you haven’t already check all of your gfi plugs one of them might need to be reset.
2021 3761 fl Montana 5th wheel
Pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Retired LEO after 35 years just enjoying life now.
Camping family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 09:46 AM   #3
Heavy_Chevy
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camping family View Post
I would think it might be connected to a gfi. If you haven’t already check all of your gfi plugs one of them might need to be reset.
Checked all GFIs and the fuse for that circuit too.
Old 06-04-2021, 10:10 AM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Won’t be a fuse. Fuses are only 12VDC. Use a plug checker at the outlet. If still nothing then go to the breaker panel. Microwave is probably on its own 15 or 20A breaker. Turn that breaker off then back on. Still nothing, then take the cover off the breaker panel and using a volt meter test for 120VAC at the breaker.

Meter set to AC volts, positive lead to the black wire attached to the bottom of the breaker and negative lead to the ground bar. If you read voltage but still nothing at the outlet then you’ll need to take the outlet apart and look for a loose wire. TURN OFF the power first.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 10:17 AM   #5
Heavy_Chevy
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Won’t be a fuse. Fuses are only 12VDC. Use a plug checker at the outlet. If still nothing then go to the breaker panel. Microwave is probably on its own 15 or 20A breaker. Turn that breaker off then back on. Still nothing, then take the cover off the breaker panel and using a volt meter test for 120VAC at the breaker.

Meter set to AC volts, positive lead to the black wire attached to the bottom of the breaker and negative lead to the ground bar. If you read voltage but still nothing at the outlet then you’ll need to take the outlet apart and look for a loose wire. TURN OFF the power first.
Yes it is on its own 20A and I have reset it and the AC breaker just to be sure it wasn't mislabeled. Ok I'll start testing.
Old 06-04-2021, 11:26 AM   #6
Heavy_Chevy
Gone Traveling

120 at the panel, 2.7 at the end of the wire. Break in the wire or bad breaker?
Old 06-04-2021, 11:42 AM   #7
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
120 at the panel, 2.7 at the end of the wire. Break in the wire or bad breaker?
What end of the wire? bAre you talking about coming out of the breaker or in the outlet?
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 11:54 AM   #8
Heavy_Chevy
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
What end of the wire? bAre you talking about coming out of the breaker or in the outlet?
120 coming out of the breaker and 2.7 at the end of bare wire that went to the outlet (took the outlet box off already).
Old 06-04-2021, 12:33 PM   #9
Heavy_Chevy
Gone Traveling

Swapped breakers too. It's not the breaker. Great. Now I'm chasing wires.
Old 06-04-2021, 12:43 PM   #10
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
120 coming out of the breaker and 2.7 at the end of bare wire that went to the outlet (took the outlet box off already).
Is the outlet the type of outlet where the wire is "pushed into" fingers mounted in the base? They are notorious for causing issues.
Old 06-04-2021, 01:03 PM   #11
Heavy_Chevy
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Is the outlet the type of outlet where the wire is "pushed into" fingers mounted in the base? They are notorious for causing issues.
Yes it is. So for now the wires are capped, breaker is off, and I'm filing a warranty claim. It has to be the wire. I've eliminated everything else. If warranty says take it in, no can do. It is home for another 3 weeks. I may just cut the wire and run a new strand down the inside of the cabinet, but that'd be last resort. Microwave cord is long enough to reach gfci plug on kitchen wall even in its hood vent hole home so we're not microwave-less. Oh the joys!
Old 06-04-2021, 01:31 PM   #12
flybouy
Site Team

I've read where folks have found the wires pinched off, cut, and stapled thru. You never know.
Old 06-04-2021, 01:47 PM   #13
travelin texans

Are all the other outlets working on that side of the rv? If not it sounds like a GFCI somewhere has tripped, you probably have more than one. That's an easy quick check with your meter before running another wire.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 02:02 PM   #14
Heavy_Chevy
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Are all the other outlets working on that side of the rv? If not it sounds like a GFCI somewhere has tripped, you probably have more than one. That's an easy quick check with your meter before running another wire.
Not on a GFCI circuit. This is a dedicated, hard wired 20A outlet for the microwave. But believe me I checked that first!

Warranty says mobile repair would be covered but the recommendation must come from a licensed electrician. He'll be here Monday. I moonlight as a mechanic, carpenter, plumber, electrician, and handyman. But they didn't like that answer. Details, details...