Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 01-21-2021, 10:05 PM   #1
Scottds

Help with weight limit

My wife and I have been looking at 5th wheel trailers. We don’t have any experience with them and I have been trying to figure out what trailer shipping weight + carry capacity “range” I should be looking at and not going over. We like the Cougar line from what we have looked at so far.
If you could help me out, I would appreciate it, I watched YouTube videos but just need some help with the numbers.
My truck is a 2000 Ford F-250 Super Duty 7.3 diesel 4x4 club cab
I have a door sticker and build sheet but no yellow sticker on my door jamb.
Here is what I got.

Scottds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 03:49 AM   #2
jasin1

Your gonna be looking at the 1/2 ton fifth wheel line with that setup. And with the low gvwr of 8800 lbs you may be pushing it with that as well.
I can’t imagine you have much more the 1500 lbs of payload capacity. That truck may be better suited for a travel trailer.
Others on the forum are more knowledgeable.If you have the capacity to stay engaged and have a dialogue with an open mind then you can get all the info here that you need to make a good and safe decision.
Many have come before you with the same problem of “too little truck” and too big of fifth wheel”..( myself included). This is a phrase often repeated on the forum.
Your first reaction will probably be a defensive one...try to push past that and be open to suggestions from different people with different levels of tact.
It’s kinda like you wouldn’t want to have a giant rv diesel pusher with a Toyota 4 cylinder instead of a Diesel engine,it would be the wrong combination. Your truck and a fifth wheel would also probably be the wrong combination when it was brand new,now the suspension is 21 years old.
Newer Ford 2500 series have a higher gvwr but you still would be relegated to a 1/2 ton fifth wheel if you choose a Diesel engine ( diesels weigh lot more and that is subtracted from your available payload)
You have enough truck to pull but not “carry” the pin weight of a fifth wheel directly in the bed.
Look for a 2500 gas or a 3500 diesel and you will be good I would think but pay attention to payload sticker on newer trucks and ask around this forum and you can find a perfect combination that you can safely tow.
1/2 ton towable does not mean you can use a 1/2 ton pickup ,it’s a meaningless advertisement
And last but not least ,ignore your neighbor or friend of a friend that says “you’ll be fine,don’t listen to them!” .....you won’t be and you’ll be glad you did listen.
Old 01-22-2021, 04:17 AM   #3
jasin1

One positive note ,your truck has the 7.3 diesel...if the truck is in decent shape then it can bring a premium price. That’s a sought after engine
Old 01-22-2021, 05:31 AM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
You need to go right to the bottom line. That’s the white label in your pictures. Build sheets are nice reference material but are not certified.

In your case, start with the 5200# and add all cargo carried. That includes passengers, fuel and anything carried regularly in the bed. Don’t forget the hitch or any options installed by the dealer or you. Once you get the results from adding all those weights you deduct the remainder from the GVWR to get your maximum load capacity.

The big deal breaker will be the trailers actual tongue weight once it's loaded for a trip.

The real bottom line for towing 5th wheel trailers is going to be keeping the tow vehicle under its GVWR once the trailer is connected.
5,200 lb is the GFAW not the payload rating.load
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 05:51 AM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

His GVWR is 8800 pounds, Typical for that era.

OP: what you need to do is put everything in the truck you would carry if you were headed to the campground including fill all fuel tanks. Go to the scales and get weights. Subtract your total weight from the 8800 and that’s how much you can put IN the truck.

Then start looking at the fiver you want, note the pin weight and subtract that from what’s left over. Hitch will reduce your number more depending on which one you get. A more accurate pin weight would be to take the trailer GVWR and use 23% of that.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 05:56 AM   #6
rhagfo

Well 2000 will not have a yellow payload sticker, they were not required until 2006. Well the first thing to do is get a base weight for your truck. Head to a nearby scale CAT scales at a truck stop, scales at local gravel yard and get weights for front and rear axles.
Once you have those, add together and subtract from your 8,800# GVWR, and that is what you have to work with for wet pin weight, hitch, and anything else you add to the truck.

Personal experience with a 2001 Ram 2500 Diesel and 8,800# GVWR, think small and lite. You will likely only have about 1,500# of payload available.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 05:58 AM   #7
flybouy
Site Team

Scottds welcome to the forum. The yellow and white payload sticker wasn't in use until several years after your truck was manufactured. The limiting factor will be your GVWR of 8,800 lbs. Newer 3/4 ton trucks are typically 10,000 lbs.

The best advice I can give you is to visit a scale and weight your truck loaded as if you were going camping, i.e. all passengers, pets, ice chest, snacks, firewood and anything else that you would load in the truck. Take that weight slip, then add about 120 lbs for a good weight distributing hitch for a travel trailer or 200 lbs for a fifth wheel hitch. Then take that 8,800 lb from the sticker and subtract the scale + hitch weight. That will be the remaining payload.

3/4 ton diesel trucks, especially older models, are great trucks for pulling a load not carrying a load. They were designed primarily as work trucks and used to haul trailers with relatively light tongue weights. Some examples would be flatbed trailers with a small excavator or a dump trailer like a roofer or a landscaper would use . That type trailer has the load primarily supported by the trailer axles and may have a pintle instead of a ball hitch.

The Cat scales at most truck stops charge a very little for weighing and will give you all the info you need. Their web site https://catscale.com/ has the scale locations as well as how to weight your vehicle. After you compute your load capacity do not use the published tongue or pin weights from the trailer manufacturers. Those weights are not "real world numbers" but are based on a "delivered weight" which does not account for the battery, LP tanks, spare tire, or any of the stuff that you would put inside. A closer number would be to use the trailer's GVW as you will be closer to that when set up for use.

To calculate a fifth wheel pin weight take the GVWR of the trailer and figure about 23% will be pin weight. So for example if the fifth wheel GVWR is 10,000 lbs the the pin weight can be estimated as 10,000 X .23 = 2,300. It could be less or more but use that as an ESTIMATE. Travel trailers are typically about 13% pog GVWR as the tongue weight so for our comparison a 10,000 lb trailer will have about 1,300 lbs of tongue weight. This is why people are recommending searching for a travel trailer with your truck.

If you are considering a different truck to carry a larger fifth wheel then look to a 1 ton truck. A 350 or 3500 series (1 ton). You may need dual rear wheels if you want diesel power maintain a large payload capacity or upsize further to 450, 4500 series truck.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-22-2021, 06:00 AM   #8
rhagfo

Quote:
You need to go right to the bottom line. That’s the white label in your pictures. Build sheets are nice reference material but are not certified.

In your case, start with the 5200# and add all cargo carried. That includes passengers, fuel and anything carried regularly in the bed. Don’t forget the hitch or any options installed by the dealer or you. Once you get the results from adding all those weights you deduct the remainder from the GVWR to get your maximum load capacity.

The big deal breaker will be the trailers actual tongue weight once it's loaded for a trip.

The real bottom line for towing 5th wheel trailers is going to be keeping the tow vehicle under its GVWR once the trailer is connected.
CW, you should have filled the coffee cup in your Avatar and had several sips before responding. You are way better than taking Front GAWR for payload!
Old 01-22-2021, 06:23 AM   #9
Scottds

I appreciate all the knowledge here, thank you!
I have had two different dealers tell me my truck is fine with trailers in the 11,500 dry weight area.
I have a feeling there are a lot of over weighted rigs on the road!
Loading my truck up and weighing it sounds like a great idea!
I have a feeling the old truck could pull most anything all day, just not carry it.
Old 01-22-2021, 06:32 AM   #10
Scottds

Thanks Flybouy, the link to the scales is very helpful and also your post simplified the calculations for me also��
At least the old 7.3 is in excellent condition, I would hate to see it go though.
Old 01-22-2021, 06:40 AM   #11
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottds View Post
I have had two different dealers tell me my truck is fine with trailers in the 11,500 dry weight area.
I have a feeling the old truck could pull most anything all day, just not carry it.
That’s the biggest mistake (con) that RV salespeople use the dry or shipping weight. I guess they figure nobody puts food, clothes or dishes in the RV

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 06:43 AM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Dealers usually have "one motive" and that is selling you a trailer. If they were "realistic with statements" they would reduce their profit margin and likely go out of business.....

That said, there is some truth to what you're being told. Your truck is probably "fine with trailers in the 11,500 weight range" (but that's conventional travel trailers, not fifth wheel trailers) and it's "WET WEIGHT (fully loaded) not "DRY WEIGHT" which is "empty" and none of us will ever go camping with an empty trailer....

So, learning to "speak salesmanese" will help cut through the crap of separating you from your money and help you make wise choices...

All travel trailers (bumper pull type) have a tongue weight in the 10-15% of total weight. A 11.5K trailer will have a tongue weight of 1150-1725 pounds. To that add the weight of the hitch and that's what you're putting on the truck payload.

All fifth wheels have a pin weight in the 20-25% range. That same 11,500 pound trailer will have a pin weight of 2300-2875 pounds. Add 150-250 pounds for the hitch and you're at roughly 2500-3000 pounds on the truck payload.

As you can see, the "KIND OF TRAILER" you're talking about can easily mean a difference of half a ton (or more) between different types, so the "blanket statement" that you're good with an empty trailer in the 11,500 range is "pure baloney" (or bologna if it's lunchtime)....

Why bologna? Because they're feeding you BS and it's not lunchtime yet......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 06:58 AM   #13
sourdough
Site Team

Scottds sorry I'm a little late but looks like the process for estimating what is going to be loaded "on" your truck has been covered. I applaud you for taking the time to investigate and look into this with an open mind. It's hard to do sometimes. It will however go a long way to keep you and your family safe.

As has been mentioned several times you will have a low payload and 5th wheels are going to be a stretch for your truck - any of them. I had a 14 3/4 ton gas, payload 3190, and would not buy a Cougar (315RLS) until I went to a 1 ton (in signature). Too much trailer - and that payload is probably close to double what you will have. Keep your mind open to all options; either new truck or a bumper pull trailer. The truck is now 21 years old, the entire suspension needs to be gone through if you are going to max it out on weight carrying capacity. Good luck on your search.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 07:31 AM   #14
LewisB

Quote:
Exactly! Congratulations, you have captured the basic understanding, are asking the right questions, doing the right things. Continue with this course of action and you will make knowledgeable decisions.

You are absolutely correct regarding the number of overweight rigs on the road. The RVSEF (RV Safety Education Foundation) says that based on their years of testing, 60% of all RV tow vehicles exceed at least one of the required weight capacities while many exceed ALL required capacities. For the towed trailer, 51% and 55% for fifth wheels exceed at least one required weight capacity.

That means that every second RV you meet on your trip does not adhere to safe and legal weight capacities.

Keep doing the right thing!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Presentation1.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	31576
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 08:34 AM   #15
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisB View Post
Exactly! Congratulations, you have captured the basic understanding, are asking the right questions, doing the right things. Continue with this course of action and you will make knowledgeable decisions.

You are absolutely correct regarding the number of overweight rigs on the road. The RVSEF (RV Safety Education Foundation) says that based on their years of testing, 60% of all RV tow vehicles exceed at least one of the required weight capacities while many exceed ALL required capacities. For the towed trailer, 51% and 55% for fifth wheels exceed at least one required weight capacity.

That means that every second RV you meet on your trip does not adhere to safe and legal weight capacities.

Keep doing the right thing!

Attachment 31576
And the driver of that "2nd rv" will argue til the cows come that it "tows like a dream cause I put LT tires on it & airbags" all while towing grossly overloaded.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 08:49 AM   #16
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
And the driver of that "2nd rv" will argue til the cows come that it "tows like a dream cause I put LT tires on it & airbags" all while towing grossly overloaded.
It's like when I step on the scale at the doctor's office. He says I'm overweight, I say "yes, but I'm big boned, just look at my 15 EEEE shoes!". He then says that doesn't change the fact that are overweight for your height.

Curse those damned scales and weight charts, at 6'2" I just need to grow another foot or two, or...
Old 01-22-2021, 09:07 AM   #17
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
5,200 lb is the GFAW not the payload rating.load
OOPS! your right. It was just to early in the morning to be trusting my eyes...or brain LOL!

I'll rewrite when all my facts are better aligned.

Name:   truck-5th-wheel-trailer-27456564.jpg
Views: 948
Size:  7.7 KB
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 09:13 AM   #18
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
OOPS! your right. It was just to early in the morning to be trusting my eyes...or brain LOL!

I'll rewrite when all my facts are better aligned.
Happens to me frequently. Add the age to numb hands from all the cervical spine surgeries and I'm "numb and dumb" more often these days.
Old 01-22-2021, 01:59 PM   #19
Sarge2

Quote:
Ouch!!! Wonder who's quote that is?? LOL...
Sarge2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 06:12 AM   #20
rhagfo

Quote:
Well as I have stated in the past, one of a 5er's best feature is also one it's biggest drawbacks!

That feature is their inherent stability while towing.

Keystone Forum Weight Police bear with me on this.

The fact is that a 3/4 ton, can/ and will be just as capable as a one ton SRW, with air bags and the correct tires has been debated for a long time. I was a Bad Boy on this forum for several years. I never recommend others to do as I was doing, BUT encouraged to get the correct TV for the 5er they were towing. It wasn't about safety, but possible legal issues if in a crash your fault or not.
It is documented several times in owners manuals and manufacture towing guides that is unsafe to tow over any of the weights stated on the VIN tag or Vehicle Certification Label.

One can be found at fault even if NOT cited for a traffic violation in civil court.

I towed for years between 1,200# and 1,700# over my TV's GVWR. The TV was a 2001 Ram 2500 Diesel 5 speed manual with 3.55 gears, Camper Package and factory optional larger tires, GVWR 8,800#. The difference in overage was going from weekend camping to full time Camp Hosting.
The last time I scaled it the TV weighed 10,500#, with just under 6,000# on the rear axle rated at 6,084#.

Yes, it towed fine, never a white knuckle moment, it was being 1,700# over GVWR, the pin on the 5er was at about 2,700#. I never needed air bags due to the camper package, and you can't always determine overweight by looks, just look at the attached pictures of before and after.

We started looking at newer more capable TV, my math concerned me as if I went to a 3500 SRW with 12,300# GVWR and a payload of about 4,200# I would still be close. We chose to get a 2016 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW with a sticker payload of 5,411#. This tows and feels VERY stable, and I still have about 1,300# of excess payload with the 5er connected. Just an FYI we lost 1,411# of payload to us, our dog, hitch, and in bed tool box, this is the stuff many don't think about when looking at the Yellow Payload sticker on vehicles after 2006.

While I felt relaxed towing with the old TV, the experience with the new TV is heads and shoulders above the experience with the old TV, and now safely within "The Numbers"

Is it safe to crawl out from under the chair now?