Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 12-11-2020, 02:03 PM   #1
kim griffith

Laredo fresh water capacity

We purchased a new 2020 Laredo 255srl a few months ago. We discovered after 2 days and running out of water that this 5th wheel has a 26 gallon fresh water tank. Specs show that it is supposed to have a 43 gallon capacity and even allowing for the hot water tank it should still carry 37 gallons of usable water.

We are 40-year RV users and reasonably careful with our water consumption.

16 of Laredo's travel trailer and 5th wheel product line also shows the same 43 gallon spec.

I know it's 26 gallons because I leveled the trailer when I got home, filled the fresh water tank until it couldn't take any more, then used a 3 gallon pail to measure the output.

26 gallons of fresh water is simply not sufficient. Being short 11 gallons doesn't sound like a lot but 26 "real" gallons does not cut it.

I talked to Keystone several times and was basically told that "that's the way it is" and "that's how they're designed".
kim griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 02:15 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

How are you determining that the FW tank is full??? Or that it is emptying completely ???

It may be that the tank was installed with a bulkhead or a reinforcement strap in the way and the tank can't expand properly. Or, it may be that the overflow/vent fitting is in the wrong place and the tank vent "spits water" before the tank is completely filled... A third possibility is that the suction tube that goes to the pump inlet is too short, or too long. If too short, it won't reach the bottom of the tank, if too long, it may curl up away from the bottom of the tank. Either would prevent the suction tube open end from being "under water until the tank is empty" which would limit the ability to use the last several gallons.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 02:31 PM   #3
kim griffith

Thanks for your response JRTJH!

1. If there is a strap, bulkhead, frame or other reason that the tank cannot fully fill then that is a manufacturing problem

2. If the vent tube spits water too early because it's installed too low then again that is a manufacturing problem

3. The suction tube length should not be an issue because I drained the fresh water tank from its low point drain multiple times into a 3 gallon pail to measure the capacity

I think it would still remain as a manufacturing or product line issue? Whatever the reasons might be, at the end of the day I only get 26 gallons.
Old 12-11-2020, 02:49 PM   #4
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by kim griffith View Post
Thanks for your response JRTJH!

1. If there is a strap, bulkhead, frame or other reason that the tank cannot fully fill then that is a manufacturing problem

2. If the vent tube spits water too early because it's installed too low then again that is a manufacturing problem

3. The suction tube length should not be an issue because I drained the fresh water tank from its low point drain multiple times into a 3 gallon pail to measure the capacity

I think it would still remain as a manufacturing or product line issue? Whatever the reasons might be, at the end of the day I only get 26 gallons.
Try raising the opposite side of the rv from the fw drain & see you get a few more gallons.
In the past I've drained the tank til absolutely nothing came out, drove a couple miles & the drain began to run again for several miles/several gallons.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 03:14 PM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

It appears the OP is complaining and not seeking help or solutions.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 03:15 PM   #6
Frank G

Until you open the underbelly, measure the tank, do your slide rule thing, you will never know. If it is small, you might have a case for a replacement. It appears Keystone dropped the Laredo line earlier this year, maybe they were using up excess non conforming inventory. Doesn't make it right.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 04:03 PM   #7
kim griffith

Yes, it's probably more of a warning and headsup to others and a complaint as well. I don't think there is an easy or inexpensive solution. Keystone won't authorize an inspection or offer a solution so we are going to probably just put up with it.

We don't do a lot of dry camping or boondocking anyway and if we do I will take a couple 5 gallon water bags and pump it in until we reach our destination.

PITA, and as Frank says it's not right.

Thanks, everyone
Old 12-11-2020, 04:58 PM   #8
flybouy
Site Team

Unfortunately Keystone has a disclaimer about the capacities (pretty much disclaimers on everything) so if the dealer or Keystone won't do anything there's not much else you can do. There's good advice already divin if you choose to do something about it yourself.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 05:56 PM   #9
GaryUT

We have a 2019 255SRL with the same problem.

The tank is not very deep, the overflow line and pickup are attached to the end of the tank, so it never gets completely full and the pump cant completely drain it.

Water will also run out the overflow while you are driving. We were arriving at our campsite with 1/3 to 1/2 of the tank gone.

The best way I have found is to have the trailer sloped away from the overflow and fill the tank slowly when water starts to come out.

I have hard rubber stopper that fits in the overflow vent, fill the tank up all the way and plug the overflow. Take it out when you start using the water.

I carry two 5 gallon jugs of water in the truck and pump them into the tank when it gets low. This will get us through 4-5 days of dry camping.

2019 Laredo 255SRL
2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab
GaryUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 06:25 PM   #10
kim griffith

You know, after 40 years of RV'ing I have gone through a tent, El Camino bed, a camper, a travel trailer and 3 fifth wheel trailers. My last 5th wheel was a Forest River Wildcat and I found their forum to be very informative. This is my first Keystone product and I have to say that this forum is just as good as the Forest River one.

The quick and excellent responses are to be commended.

Gary UT: Your information has been extremely interesting. You have the exact same 5th wheel and confirm my observations.

Thank you, your suggestions will be used when I next break out the Laredo in the spring.

As a side note to Gary UT: Take a good look at the black trim cover that goes around the sides and back of your unit where the rubber roof meets the sidewalls. All 3 sides of mine have shrunk and exposed the channel and screws it is supposed to cover as much as 6". This will allow water to rust the screws and possibly enter the trailer. I had one side done last week and noticed the other two sides being bad yesterday. Still under warranty so the warranty appointment has been made for April. Must have used a product that expands/shrinks in temperature.

Once again, thanks everyone!
Old 12-12-2020, 12:54 PM   #11
chuckster57
Site Team

The insert molding used by pretty much all the manufacturers is cheap plastic, and they will stretch it to save an inch on each unit.

Good quality vinyl insert molding will last much longer and is well worth it IMO.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 03:11 PM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
The insert molding used by pretty much all the manufacturers is cheap plastic, and they will stretch it to save an inch on each unit.

Good quality vinyl insert molding will last much longer and is well worth it IMO.

Chuck makes an excellent point that all new RV buyers should be aware of and check. My last trailer ('14) had an issue with the side moldings shrinking and I replaced them with better material. Now, on this new one, I was driving down the highway outside of Monroe LA and looked in my rear view mirror to see something flopping, like a big U, from the under edge of the bottom of the front of the 5th wheel bedroom all the way down to the bottom edge of the trailer. That cheap "plastic" just pulled away from the curve transitioning from the underside of the bedroom to where it was attached at the bottom with a screw. Cause? That strip of plastic molding had been stretched almost like a fiddle string causing it to pop out of the inside cure the first wind that hit it. A couple of #14 wood screws and it ain't going nowhere.....now that was a joke! I'll have the dealer replace it under warranty when I get back.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 04:03 PM   #13
GaryUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post

The trim under the front of the fifth wheel has shrunk to the point it wont stay in the channel and needs to be replaced. What brand do you recommend?

Gary

2019 Laredo 255SRL
2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab
GaryUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 09:47 AM   #14
Bandit12

Our 2021 Cougar is listed at 60 gallons of fresh water capacity. I figure that includes the 6 gallons in the water heater. Before our last trip in early October, I bought one of these gizmos. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Instead of hooking it up at the hose bib on the house, I put a brass shut off valve on the end of the hose that I put in the FW tank opening then added the gauge and finally the short adapter hose for our outside water filter. I then turn on the water at the house, walked back to the trailer and opened the shutoff valve and added 20 gallons to the fresh water tank. Shut off the valve, went inside the trailer and turned on the water pump. I made sure the water heater tank was full by opening the kitchen sink tap until no more air came out and I had a steady stream of water flowing. I then repeated this step in the bathroom at the sink and shower. I went back to my hose, reset my gauge, and turned it back on. When the tank started spitting back at my, my gauge read 35 gallons. The initial 20, plus 6, plus 35 equals 61. I figure the additional gallon was filling lines and excess that went down the drains. I bought a second one to use with my black tank flush. I keep them on separate sides of my storage compartment in separate totes so I don't mix them up. I also have a second shutoff valve and a 90 degree adapter for my black tank flush. This makes it convenient as my black tank flush is located on the opposite side of the trailer from the drain valves.
Bandit12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 11:05 AM   #15
Mikelff

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Chuck makes an excellent point that all new RV buyers should be aware of and check. My last trailer ('14) had an issue with the side moldings shrinking and I replaced them with better material. Now, on this new one, I was driving down the highway outside of Monroe LA and looked in my rear view mirror to see something flopping, like a big U, from the under edge of the bottom of the front of the 5th wheel bedroom all the way down to the bottom edge of the trailer. That cheap "plastic" just pulled away from the curve transitioning from the underside of the bedroom to where it was attached at the bottom with a screw. Cause? That strip of plastic molding had been stretched almost like a fiddle string causing it to pop out of the inside cure the first wind that hit it. A couple of #14 wood screws and it ain't going nowhere.....now that was a joke! I'll have the dealer replace it under warranty when I get back.
Same thing happened to me. They will try to replace it with the same thing. I used some marine silicone to basically “glue” it back in the channel. Hasn’t moved or come out since. If need be, i can pull it out and silicone can be removed but the wind won’t take it out. I use clear marine silicone because it is way tougher than what the factory uses.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 11:37 AM   #16
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelff View Post
Same thing happened to me. They will try to replace it with the same thing. I used some marine silicone to basically “glue” it back in the channel. Hasn’t moved or come out since. If need be, i can pull it out and silicone can be removed but the wind won’t take it out. I use clear marine silicone because it is way tougher than what the factory uses.

Yes, my temp fix was 2 small strips of silicone right in the middle of the curve to hold it in place until I get back to TX. Should be very easy to remove and replace. If all they are going to do it put the cheap plastic back on I'm going to try to find a molding that is better made.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 04:45 PM   #17
Folkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit12 View Post
Our 2021 Cougar is listed at 60 gallons of fresh water capacity. I figure that includes the 6 gallons in the water heater. Before our last trip in early October, I bought one of these gizmos. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Instead of hooking it up at the hose bib on the house, I put a brass shut off valve on the end of the hose that I put in the FW tank opening then added the gauge and finally the short adapter hose for our outside water filter. I then turn on the water at the house, walked back to the trailer and opened the shutoff valve and added 20 gallons to the fresh water tank. Shut off the valve, went inside the trailer and turned on the water pump. I made sure the water heater tank was full by opening the kitchen sink tap until no more air came out and I had a steady stream of water flowing. I then repeated this step in the bathroom at the sink and shower. I went back to my hose, reset my gauge, and turned it back on. When the tank started spitting back at my, my gauge read 35 gallons. The initial 20, plus 6, plus 35 equals 61. I figure the additional gallon was filling lines and excess that went down the drains. I bought a second one to use with my black tank flush. I keep them on separate sides of my storage compartment in separate totes so I don't mix them up. I also have a second shutoff valve and a 90 degree adapter for my black tank flush. This makes it convenient as my black tank flush is located on the opposite side of the trailer from the drain valves.
I bought the same flow meter for my Cougar. After leveling the camper and "burping" the FW tank vent a couple of times I was able to get 52 gals in my 54 gal tank. Last year we traveled with only about 12-14 gals because we were not boon-docking much. The flow meter was helpful getting the desired fill for each trip. I also did calibrated fills for all the tanks to determine how the sensors were installed. Found the sensors to be way off on all the tanks but at least now I know about what I have when the lights turn on/off.
Old 12-21-2020, 07:51 AM   #18
Mikelff

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Yes, my temp fix was 2 small strips of silicone right in the middle of the curve to hold it in place until I get back to TX. Should be very easy to remove and replace. If all they are going to do it put the cheap plastic back on I'm going to try to find a molding that is better made.
I did most of the strip, on both sides. They aren’t coming out unless I take them out. I looked for a better replacement but didn’t find one to fit. Since they are now in there so securely, I figure Im done with it and moving on. They are mostly cosmetic anyway. Let me know if you find something.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
laredo, water