Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 11-11-2020, 02:21 PM   #21
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjasin1 View Post
Yeah I guess I like the idea of pull through campground spots and minimal setup. Maybe leave the truck connected if it’s close to level. I’m just going to plan things a little better instead of “winging it “ and being able to run the ac is good also without having to use a genny

Using a generator in a Walmart parking lot is uncool. Not sure where you could run off generator power unless in some remote area with no other campers around.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 02:30 PM   #22
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Using a generator in a Walmart parking lot is uncool. Not sure where you could run off generator power unless in some remote area with no other campers around.
Spend a night at any WalMart parking lot and you'll change your mind about "adding to the quiet atmosphere on the lot.

Between the refrigerator trucks, garbage trucks (banging dumpsters to empty them) and the "lot vacuum sweeper trucks", every night at WalMart is filled with enough noise that a generator in the back of a truck or in the front of a fifth wheel would barely be noticed.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 02:52 PM   #23
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Oh I totally agree I’m in the process of installing a 2000 watt xantrex just for coffee and maybe quick warmup in microwave. (Hopefully enough inverter and batteries) I was just saying I couldn’t run ac without a generator. I joined Harvest Hosts and some will allow you to
Use a generator but not all. Believe me I am overly careful about disturbing my neighbors. I grew up in the “Loud Family” so I’m overly conscious about being “that guy “lol
Old 11-11-2020, 03:05 PM   #24
jasin1

[QUOTE=JRTJH;420907]Spend a night at any WalMart parking lot and you'll change your mind about "adding to the quiet atmosphere on the lot.

Between the refrigerator trucks, garbage trucks (banging dumpsters to empty them) and the "lot vacuum sweeper trucks", every night at WalMart is filled with enough noise that a generator in the back of a truck or in the front of a fifth wheel would barely be noticed.[/QUOTE
It’s a predator inverter so it’s pretty quiet. I have to sort out my truck issues first. Started looking at duallys. If I get one I will have the cc to carry everything I want. Plan on putting in a fifth wheel box or small gang box for gen
Old 11-11-2020, 04:32 PM   #25
JRTJH
Site Team

When it comes to camping sites, there's several "categories"... They range from "utility" to "luxury" with several "increasing steps of amenities" as the steps move toward "luxury".... I suppose there are some sites that don't even qualify for "utility" status, but you gotta start somewhere LOL

WalMart lots, at least "my opinion of them" fall in the "utility" category. and most "Biscuit Bucket" (Cracker Barrel) are a step above WalMart for overnight parking. BB's, at least in my experience, limited as it is, are usually much more "restful" than WalMart.... By "restful" I mean that you usually don't get "startled completely out of bed" when the "dumpster alarm" wakes you up at 0 Dark Thirty as the trailer windows rattle in time with the garbage truck.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 06:54 AM   #26
Ken / Claudia

Every Walmart in Oregon that allows overnighters has all to mostly homeless in ruin down RVs. If you watch in the daytime many become beggars holding signs asking for money at the intersections some even walk around the lots bugging shoppers. These are not beggars that fled the dust bowl to seek out a good life somewhere else. Dysfunctional people, Alcoholics and druggies. That's Oregon other areas could be different. Not a place for me or my family.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 11:11 AM   #27
Red14

Me personally I trust nobody haha. Even stopped real quick for a bakery pit stop I moved all my mountain bikes out from the bed of the truck to the trailer and patched up the generator real good and gasoline tank. I’m more of a guilty until proven innocent type hahaha
Red14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 12:52 PM   #28
notanlines

Our experience over the last ten years has been different than Ken’s. Yes, we have seen first hand the damage pot laws have done to Colorado and to Oregon, particularly in Colorado larger metro areas and beach areas in Oregon. But in traveling the country we see very few homeless camped out
at Walmarts, almost none.
The noise is not uncommon, and very, very few BB’s will allow for any RV of size.
Everyone has their own opinions. Probably less than one out of 100 of you would move all your gear in your truck for the reward of one sweet roll (well, I might for a Boston creme from Timmy’s). But all in all, travel is relatively safe in Walmarts and associated places. Use your usual cautions, and have an adventure.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 11:15 PM   #29
Big1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Don't overthink it....you sound like me. But, I carry multiple ways to keep my worries at bay. First and foremost is puppy....after so many years she is on top of anything she thinks might be an issue long before it could be..and then I have her back.

Looking out while parked, if in the RV, is usually more of "something to do" vs a real deterrent; I like go sleep. I am a light sleeper; I hear most anything...even with the AC and a big fan running by me.

All that said I do not, and will not, park overnight at a Walmart/truck stop etc. I have no use for sitting in an asphalt parking lot with droning semis and who knows what going on keeping me on edge and awake all night - DW says we can do better than that (for us).

The DW don't like Wal-Mart and all the other places like them we always make sure we are at a campground at the end of the day but that's me.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 08:13 AM   #30
WDPatterson

Quote:
All good responses. Thanks! I may rethink my itinerary and just stay overnight at a campground. I used to drive straight through from baltimore to the keys when I was younger because i just wanted to get to my destination fast. I need to take a lesson from sailboaters I guess. They are happy just sailing without a place they need to be. I have powerboats but throughout the years I’ve had a few different sailboats that I tried getting the hang of and it just wasn’t my preference. I need to just slow down and enjoy the journey and not be so concerned with making good time
While it may cost a few bucks, it's always a good idea to get online and see what kind of campgrounds are along your route. $30 a night is peace of mind.
WDPatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 08:19 AM   #31
rjniles

"It's illegal to sleep overnight at rest stops in Florida, not that authorities would recommend doing so. In other nearby states, it may not necessarily be illegal to park overnight at a rest area, but many have signs warning against it.
Old 11-15-2020, 08:35 AM   #32
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
All good responses. Thanks! I may rethink my itinerary and just stay overnight at a campground. I used to drive straight through from baltimore to the keys when I was younger because i just wanted to get to my destination fast. I need to take a lesson from sailboaters I guess. They are happy just sailing without a place they need to be. I have powerboats but throughout the years I’ve had a few different sailboats that I tried getting the hang of and it just wasn’t my preference. I need to just slow down and enjoy the journey and not be so concerned with making good time
I don't know about you but I have a couple of things that have shortened my drive time from "when I was young".

Hopefully I've gained some common sense with age and realize that driving that fatigued is dangerous.

The DW doesn't tolerate long trips and neither do I. A lot of that is age and a lot of that is injuries. I crushed 3 vertebrae in my lower spine when I was young and age hasn't helped that situation.

Towing a large trailer requires more concentration and therefore fatigues you faster than setting back and relaxing in a nice riding car. The higher the "white knuckle" factor (wether it's from a poor setup, weather conditions, traffic, opr whatever the stress) the faster the fatigue sets in.

As for sleeping in a Walmart or Truck Stop, well that's not for me. If I have to be concerned about someone stealing my stuff or sleep with a gun in my hand because I'm concerned about some A hole breaking in than I'm not resting. I'm not going to worry about someone stealing a $2K generator to save a couple of bucks If I can't afford to stay in a campground than I'm not going, period..

These are MY views, obviously everyone has their own preferences.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 08:54 AM   #33
Mikelff

Have stayed in a couple rest stops while traveling by myself for some sleep and rest. Biggest issue is the noise from the big rigs running all night next to me and then the brakes releasing air pressure. In other words, not much sleep. Like most here, I find a KOA or Good Sam park and get some real rest. Nice to have electric and water in the AM for hot shower, coffee, a hot breakfast and a rested start to the day. The DW wouldn’t even think about staying anywhere else. In hot weather my AC is a must so its the RV park for me. I may not unhook from TV for late arrival and early departure but at least I’m rested and comfortable.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 09:38 AM   #34
randmshoats

Nice quandary, or not!

Quote:
I am planning on heading south in a couple of weeks. Was thinking about how secure my TV will be in Walmart parking lot or rest stop if I try and get some sleep. I was planning on harvest host at first but really want to just get as far south as I can quickly. Going to make sure bikes and things in bed of truck are chained up but wondering about others experience with this.
Security is the foundation of our actions so I applaud you for considering where you stop off. The answers I reflect on is “why did you join Rving”! To see more and create memories, right? No disrespect to Walmart. I’m not sure you can succeed in capturing some great memories at a Walmart, Truckstop or Rest stop parking, overnight.

Additionally, the trek down to FL, there are a lot of RV Campgrounds and Resorts to choose from. That sounds like a huge amount of memories to create.

Enjoy the drive!
randmshoats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 11:44 AM   #35
RogerE

Security

I frequently stay "off the beaten track". I fitted some 12 volt motion sensor flood lights to the camper. One at the front to illuminate the tow vehicle, one under the awning that covers the door, and one on the slideout that shines into the living area.

I adapted them so that they plug in, and sit on a bracket so they can be removed in seconds.

Apparently machine-gun towers are not suitable for RVs.
RogerE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 12:07 PM   #36
rs1718

I have never had a problem but Walmart is becoming less Rv friendly. I prefer a rest area or gander mountain for a quick rest.
rs1718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 01:08 PM   #37
DWBinRI

Place where I stop

Point South KOA in Yemasse, SC is a good place to overnight
DWBinRI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 02:16 PM   #38
CrazyCain

The one and only time we stayed over night at the Wal Mart, ( Gaylord, Mi) my wife said in the morning that Semi's zinging by woke her up several times. I didn't hear a thing, actually was one of my best nights of sleeping..

2011 Chevy Silverado
1500, HD Tow Package
2017 Keystone Hideout 177LHS Carlisle Radial HDs
:
CrazyCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 02:17 PM   #39
blubuckaroo
Gone Traveling

Walmart or not, I'm always concerned about our security as well as that of my equipment.
I've rigged my trailer with these motion sensors. They turn on some small porch lights outside as well as a small beeper inside the trailer. I just turn on the switch before we turn in.
https://www.amazon.com/Security-Dete...58895977&psc=1
blubuckaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 04:10 PM   #40
Lil Joe

We have been going from Niagara Falls to Phoenix for the last five years. We have always stayed at Walmart or rest areas and Cracker Barrel since most campgrounds are closed in winter. Never had an issue. Always parked beside other rigs or campers. Always walked our German Shepherd for a bit in case anyone was eyeing us up.
Lil Joe is offline   Reply With Quote