Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 09-14-2020, 07:44 AM   #1
Camping family

Smile Hook up at house and or generator

Waiting for 50 amp service to be installed for the new camper. Till then I want to plug into the house just to keep batteries charged up and have some lights so I can start putting things in. I have the dog bones to go from 50 to 30 and 30 to 20 amp. Do I just then plug into the house outlet or is there something else I need to. Any worries when doing this.

I also have a champion generator that has a 30 and 50 amp outlet for campers if I use it do I have to ground the generator with a grounding rod to use it?

Thanks to all the experts for the help with this rookie.
Everyone has been great.
2021 3761 fl Montana 5th wheel
Pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Retired LEO after 35 years just enjoying life now.
Camping family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 08:09 AM   #2
fjr vfr

Just plug in. As long as you're not pulling over 20 amps you won't trip the circuit breaker in the house. Charging the batteries and using lights will be well under 20 amps...no problem.

I've used my generator many times and never grounded it...to what? I don't remember seeing anyone use a ground rod for their generator? Maybe I'm not very observant?
fjr vfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 08:10 AM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

You can plug in just fine to use the lights and converter to charge the batteries. High amp stuff like the AC/microwave etc. should be avoided if possible.

I noticed that you mention 50>30 then 30>20 adapters. Those will work but I use a 50>20 so I only have one connection. I don't particularly like having lots of plugs laying out. Another thing to keep in mind; if you do decide to run any of those high amp devices watch that extension cord for heat buildup. I use a 12ga. 25' cord and have never had a problem - even running the AC in years past. This year however, with a new trailer, and although the cord never got hot, I found evidence of arcing and heat buildup where the extension cord plugged in. Never happened before but something changed. Our 50A ped is supposed to installed in the next day or 2.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 09:18 AM   #4
Camping family

No need for extension cord my camper cord is plenty long enough. Thank you for the response. You guys n gals on here are great. One day I will be able to help someone out.
2021 3761 fl Montana 5th wheel
Pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Retired LEO after 35 years just enjoying life now.
Camping family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 09:25 AM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camping family View Post
No need for extension cord my camper cord is plenty long enough. Thank you for the response. You guys n gals on here are great. One day I will be able to help someone out.
Your asking the question likely helped someone out. Often times some folks feel their questions may be "stupid" or are for what ever reason hesitant to ask a question. So by asking a question you may be asking the question they had or may have triggered a thought and a question that they never realized they should have asked.

Questions are very helpful in my opinion. I would urge anyone and everyone to ask questions.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator