Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 09-09-2020, 07:57 PM   #1
CU Tigers

Electrical Help!

Hello fellow Keystone owners. Reaching out to owners trying to find some answers. My new to me 5th has me stumped. Had a wire that shorted out and burnt something up with the Lippert 5 output multifunction output(Board 13504) I know this is the old version and not the updated board. Was able to find a new board just like the old one with new remote. Was able to sync old remote and new remote. Remotes work everything flawlessly, but I'm getting no power to external switches(awning, slide, front jacks) no power noted on wires to board or back of switch . I have checked every fuse I can find, tested switches, converter, change reset fuses in front storage and all outlets with volt meter. Everything checks out. If I take the battery wires off board and hook to switch side of board the jacks and awning work with battery wires (Didn't test slide switch will do that tomorrow). I have reached out to Keystone but no help was really given except take it to the dealer. Also spoke to tech support at LCI and really no help. Am I missing something? Slide controller or another breaker somewhere. Anyone know where slide controller is located? Any help is greatly appreciated. Something just seems to be blocking power. 2011 Keystone Cougar 276RLS
CU Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 08:04 PM   #2
wiredgeorge

First, go to the UserCP at the top left (on black bar) of each page and add a signature to your posts. I suggest this so folks won't have to ask a bunch what trailer, etc. Put in your year/make/model as well as the same info for your tow vehicle. Then explain what component you removed this board from. I suspect no one will be familiar with a board number. Component, model, etc. would help. Good luck and keep in mind we have a bunch of very qualified techs who post regularly to tech questions. Since I have no idea what you are talking about, that is about the best I can do. Good luck!
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 04:49 AM   #3
CU Tigers

Pics of board

Red circle is pic of wires with no power. That board was replaced and the thermal auto reset breakers were replaced.
Old 09-10-2020, 04:53 AM   #4
CU Tigers

Pics of board

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200910_083024.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	180.4 KB
ID:	29698

Name:	20200910_083104.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	29699

Here's some pics hope this uploads.
Lippert 5 output multifunction board part number 13504.
Old 09-10-2020, 04:53 AM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tigers View Post
Red circle is pic of wires with no power. That board was replaced and the thermal auto reset breakers were replaced.
Picture didn't post.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 04:53 AM   #6
CU Tigers

Man that was a task
B&W Patriot slider hitch
Old 09-10-2020, 09:04 AM   #7
CU Tigers

No idea's anyone? This is driving me bananas �� I feel it just something so simple.
B&W Patriot slider hitch
Old 09-10-2020, 09:51 AM   #8
wiredgeorge

Quote:
No idea's anyone? This is driving me bananas �� I feel it just something so simple.

Robby, since you didn't take my advice regarding the signature or the make/model or function of the gizmo you are trying to troubleshoot, I suspect perhaps there are others besides myself who have no idea what you took a picture of or what system it is associated with or even if it is a Keystone trailer component. Good luck; there are folks a lot smarter than me on this board and I am sure they will be able to help without having any contextural information.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 10:00 AM   #9
CU Tigers

I did put my make and model on profile. Are you talking about somewhere else? I figured with post stating I contacted LCI which is part of Lipperts and pics I thought it would be seen that its the multifunction board. Do I need to add somewhere else?
B&W Patriot slider hitch
Old 09-10-2020, 10:14 AM   #10
CU Tigers

No power to external switches!

Hello fellow Keystone owners. Reaching out to owners trying to find some answers. My new to me 5th has me stumped. Had a wire that shorted out and burnt something up with the Lippert 5 output multifunction output(Board 13504) I know this is the old version and not the updated board. Was able to find a new board just like the old one with new remote. Was able to sync old remote and new remote. Remotes work everything flawlessly, but I'm getting no power to external switches(awning, slide, front jacks) no power noted on wires to board or back of switch . I have checked every fuse I can find, tested switches, converter, change reset fuses in front storage and all outlets with volt meter. Everything checks out. If I take the battery wires off board and hook to switch side of board the jacks and awning work with battery wires (Didn't test slide switch will do that tomorrow). I have reached out to Keystone but no help was really given except take it to the dealer. Also spoke to tech support at LCI and really no help. Am I missing something? Slide controller or another breaker somewhere. Anyone know where slide controller is located? Any help is greatly appreciated. Something just seems to be blocking power. 2011 Keystone Cougar 276RLS
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20200910_083024.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	180.4 KB
ID:	29713   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200910_083104.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	29714  
B&W Patriot slider hitch
Old 09-10-2020, 10:50 AM   #11
ChuckS

Im wondering if you have the switches programmed correctly.... sounds like no command is being sent to activate the relay for the circuit

Take a look at this link.... quite an in depth article that may provide some help for your issue

http://www.rv-project.com/projects/linc2.php

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 11:10 AM   #12
CU Tigers

That's what is so confusing. When exchange yo new board I removed all power and exchanged wires 1 by 1. This board is the older version and not the upgraded 1. Im not sure how the remote can be programmed cause its preset. Its seems like a relay or something is not opening up. Maybe the new board is bad. Im just wondering if power is aways running to external switches or does it change once switched. Or if somethung needs reset some how. Thanks for the info I'm going to look it over.
B&W Patriot slider hitch
Old 09-10-2020, 11:20 AM   #13
Javi

Quote:
That's what is so confusing. When exchange yo new board I removed all power and exchanged wires 1 by 1. This board is the older version and not the upgraded 1. Im not sure how the remote can be programmed cause its preset. Its seems like a relay or something is not opening up. Maybe the new board is bad. Im just wondering if power is always running to external switches or does it change once switched. Or if something needs reset some how. Thanks for the info I'm going to look it over.
In the old days.. if you used the remote to turn something on... then you had to use the remote to turn it off...
Old 09-10-2020, 11:21 AM   #14
ChuckS

ID also try removing the ground from the box and going directly to frame with the ground

https://lci-support-doc.s3.amazonaws...cd_0001950.pdf

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 11:22 AM   #15
Carl n Susan

This is the solution many have used on another forum. I don't know why a new board didn't fix the problem.

Apparently there is a "failsafe" circuit to keep the user from using the remote switches and the manual switches at the same time. The failsafe will not provide a ground to the manual switches when the remote system is energized and will sometimes get "locked" in that position.

Remove the ground for the manual switches from the remote receiver and ground it to the chassis.

In extreme cases some have had to also remove the 12V positive line and connect it to a separate power source.
Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 11:58 AM   #16
CU Tigers

Thats what I'm feeling like in in the failsafe mode for some reason. On other old board the relay or fuse was fried due to grounding issue. Im just wondering if it's still locked in the old remote somehow.
B&W Patriot slider hitch
Old 09-10-2020, 12:19 PM   #17
JRTJH
Site Team

Check out this thread: https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...ghlight=remote Particularly post #9. I had the same issues as you several years ago. Keystone (Lippert) built in a "safety function" to prevent damage to the trailer equipment should anyone be using the remote and someone else might activate the manual switches... What you're facing is a "failed safety relay" on the remote control board.

You can "rewire to eliminate the safety function" but you'll have to be "double darned sure" that nobody pushes the manual switches while you're using the remote hand-held device.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 12:36 PM   #18
CU Tigers

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Check out this thread: https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...ghlight=remote Particularly post #9. I had the same issues as you several years ago. Keystone (Lippert) built in a "safety function" to prevent damage to the trailer equipment should anyone be using the remote and someone else might activate the manual switches... What you're facing is a "failed safety relay" on the remote control board.

You can "rewire to eliminate the safety function" but you'll have to be "double darned sure" that nobody pushes the manual switches while you're using the remote hand-held device.
Hey John. Only problem is I actually replaced that board cause I knew that something was destroyed when it had shorted out. Only thing I can figure is this board also is damaged since it was old stock. Will know soon cause new board is coming as a replacement. Any idea where slide controller is located?
B&W Patriot slider hitch
Old 09-10-2020, 12:41 PM   #19
JRTJH
Site Team

By slide controller, do you mean the "reverse polarity switch" mounted on the wall or the "contact relay set" mounted on the motor (under the trailer floor, at the end of the slide ram) ???

The older slides didn't have a "fancy electronic slide controller". They had "direct wired contacts from a manual switch or a direct wire link from the remote control unit"...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 12:52 PM   #20
CU Tigers

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
By slide controller, do you mean the "reverse polarity switch" mounted on the wall or the "contact relay set" mounted on the motor (under the trailer floor, at the end of the slide ram) ???

The older slides didn't have a "fancy electronic slide controller". They had "direct wired contacts from a manual switch or a direct wire link from the remote control unit"...
I'm not exactly sure. I know my slide motor only has a black and red wire. Has 2 sets of wire that are white and white with black stripe that hook to motor wire. Maybe mine doesn't have a controller ��
B&W Patriot slider hitch

Tags
electrical, power