Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-30-2020, 06:43 PM   #1
TripleDigitRide

King bed option?

We are in the market for our first travel trailer. We LOVED the floorplan of the 291RLS Keystone Bullet Ultra Lite, except for the queen bed. My wife and I are tall and plumper than average, so we'd really love a king bed. Is it possible to purchase this model with a king bed, or maybe another model with the same floorplan and a king bed?

Thank you in advance for any assistance you can offer.
TripleDigitRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 06:51 PM   #2
chunker

#1 be careful with the "king" In an RV especially lower end the king is an RV king. It can be just about any dimension, have slants and curved ends and also typically an RV mattress is junk. If you are heavier than normal you'll find that quicker. If there was any standard to an RV king it would be 72 or 76" long. Real queen is 80" long. Beyond that you need to physically measure what's in the trailer.

My suggestion is find an RV with a residential queen mattress, 60x80, and get a real mattress from a mattress store or even Sam's/Costco
2019 Harley Davidson Heritage Classic 114 (the toy)
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 06:57 PM   #3
Wyldfire

Look at the Cougar line of Keystone they have King beds.
Wyldfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 07:28 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

Understand that "king" beds vary in an RV. Some are not much more than a short, wider queen; some are actual kings and some are somewhere in between. Whatever it is prepare to throw the original out and get a real mattress.

This trailer came with a king mattress; full size. I knew the mattress, no matter how good they said it was, would be inadequate. Had it removed, the platform cut down and a nice residential mattress installed. You need to think about movement around the bed if you are plumper. Making the bed, removing the coverings etc. can be excruciatingly difficult with a king bed stuck in a queen bed slot...but optioned out.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 11:07 PM   #5
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleDigitRide View Post
Is it possible to purchase this model with a king bed, or maybe another model with the same floorplan and a king bed?
DW and I looked at a lot of rigs last time we went shopping. A king was one of our requirements. There were a lot of rigs that were "queen, optional upgrade to king," but on every one of them you sacrificed at least one bedtable (usually the one on my side, which was a nonstarter, since I'm the one with the CPAP).

Then I visited an online forum (not this one) and asked who made trailers with real king bedrooms, and someone recommended the Keystone Cougar line. They were right -- the design included both bedtables, and a functional layout without skimping on storage. The rest is history.

Yes, it's "only" an "RV king," but it was the width that was important to DW's bad knee... I'm used to my shins hanging off the bed since I went off to college, I literally don't even notice it anymore.

Tags
bed