Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 05-11-2020, 02:55 PM   #21
Brantlyj

I seasoned mine like any other cast iron cookware. Warm it in a 200 degree oven to open up the pores, Lite coating of cottonseed oil, upside down in a 500 degree oven for an hour. Let cool in oven and repeat twice.

I bought a 17 in and as you can see in the picture it looks like it was made to go in the storage space in the outdoor cook station. Griddle upside down and all the utensils in the plastic bin.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12641DC5-6A1F-4B4A-8791-CAD87EFB2712.jpg
Views:	1690
Size:	316.7 KB
ID:	27245  
Brantlyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 10:10 AM   #22
Steve's 70-5

I have the 22 inch with stand. When I store it, I fold the stand up, set e grill base on it. I then flip the cook top over and it sits on the base nice. Put a couple straps on it to keep everything together. I built a plywood base to hold the stand and put it in the outdoor kitchen.

Joe Walsh
Steve's 70-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 04:09 PM   #23
LewisB

We carry a 17" Blackstone and like the carry bag - goes in the pass through storage. Perfect size cooking for 2-4 people. For some reason, everything just seems to taste better coming off the Blackstone...I used flax seed oil to season the griddle. Coated it with oil then put it inside the large BBQ grill at the house, closed the lid and held it at like 300 degrees for awhile. Best use yet of the BBQ grill...

Love the Blackstone!
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 07:50 AM   #24
Mrchange

Love my 17" grill. After I clean the grill top I lightly oil it and cover it with plastic wrap or press-n-seal. Helps to keep the bag and grill from coming into contact and I know the grill is clean. Next use I remove plastic wrap and fire up the grill.
Mrchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 08:25 AM   #25
Mr Mojo

I have the Tailgater and I bought the bag. It's two bags, one for the foldable legs and stand, and the other holds the grill and griddle. I keep them under the dinette table while travelling.
Mr Mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 09:05 AM   #26
pitman44

We recently bought our 22" Blackstone with the Walmart deal. Picked up a quick disconnect hose for it from Amazon. We were at a local campground for 9 days the last week+ and it was a pretty cool, wet 9 days in upstate NY. Cold enough that our water froze one nite due to my not thinking what 25F might do to our hose.

In any case we cooked all but two meals on the Blackstone and loved it. Smashed burgers were great as was every breakfast and everything in between. Great addition to our camper. I haven't picked up the bag, but plan to.
pitman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 09:15 AM   #27
oldnjrver

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADQ K9 View Post
Danny,
Checked the Blackstone website and the carry bag for my model is sold out I called and they said keep checking back roughly $40 plus shipping not bad to protect the investment IMO. As for the seasoning I liken it to a cast iron pan.
We did get a cleaning kit too and there are aluminium tray inserts for the drip pan.
My Grandparents had an electric griddle they cooked Sourdough(sorry couldn't help it) pancakes on and I have not been able to replicate the taste with grandmas recipe on a non stick griddle/pan one of the reasons I got the Blackstone.
For what its worth, wife and I saw all sorts of covers and cooking gear for the Blackstone grills in Walmart, two days ago..

We love using our 17" griddle and have made breakfasts and dinners for as many as 8 adults and 3 kids... cooking everything from Italian sausage, fish, burgers/dogs, home fries, chicken, steaks, pork chops, eggs, bacon, peppers and onions and on and on..
oldnjrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 12:37 PM   #28
rlh1957

Love ours. We have the folding table to set it on also.
When I got it I set it out on the driveway, coated with film of canola oil and turned burners on high. It smoked and smoked. Then I kept adding a little oil to burn it in and season it. It is about non stick now. If you cook to break it in you will only get the section where you are cooking to season and blacken.
Each meal after cooking I have it at temp I have my water bottle and squirt some on to deglaze and clean it off with my spatula and some paper towels. Paper towels we use in the fire pit and griddle surface is ready for the next meal.

2020 Cougar Half Ton 29RKS Fifth Wheel
2019 F350 4WD Lariat SRW 6.7 Diesel Super Duty
Anderson Ultimate 5th Wheel Hitch - JT Strongarm TST509 TPMS- 2200W(8)Solar Panels - 600AH BattleBorn Lithium Batteries. 3000W Victron MultiPlus Inverter
SoftStartRV on both AC’s - Predator 3500 generator
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 12:58 PM   #29
Camp CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADQ K9 View Post
Finally replaced my little 30+ year old Weber "go anywhere" gas grill with a 22"Blackstone griddle...............How much cooking does one have to do to fully season the griddle? I seasoned it with about 1 TBsp of olive oil 4 times per the owners manual it says you can use any oil of preference, it has a nice dark brown to black color now. Is the optional bag to carry it worth it, and how do you carry yours in your RV?
My wife seasoned it with flaxseed oil at full blast 4 times over a 4 hour period..........to create a non-stick coat that adds flavor to your food and prevents scratching. You probably got it right though.

We clean our grill and put it into the original plastic cover then put into the original box and stow it in the front trailer compartment.

https://www.wikihow.com/Season-a-Blackstone-Griddle
Camp CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 01:39 PM   #30
Hoodlatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp CA View Post
My wife seasoned it with flaxseed oil at full blast 4 times over a 4 hour period..........to create a non-stick coat that adds flavor to your food and prevents scratching. You probably got it right though.

We clean our grill and put it into the original plastic cover then put into the original box and stow it in the front trailer compartment.

https://www.wikihow.com/Season-a-Blackstone-Griddle
We also used flaxseed oil 3 or 4 times on our 22”. This will be the third camping season with it and we eliminated our grill for now. Our Bullet has a small rear outside storage (under bunks) which fit our old bumper mounted bbq grill. The Blackstone fits nicely in its place. No bag, I bought the lid kit and love it.
We cook just about every breakfast and dinner on it, for steaks I have my butcher cut my ribeyes fairly thin. They turn out amazing! The only thing I miss a grill for is chicken pieces and the occasional beer can chicken.

I need to find a small charcoal grill with a high dome lid in the near future
Hoodlatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 03:23 PM   #31
InkedMarie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksupaul View Post
Question for you Blackstone users. Do you still use a grill for some things or have to converted to cooking all your food on the Blackstone?
We have the Blackstone Tailgater, which is half griddle & half grill. They also make a half griddle half charcoal grill.

2021 Keystone Cougar Half Ton 32 rli
InkedMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 03:41 PM   #32
Jim Aitken

I bought the 17" model and wish I had bought the larger 22" version. While the small model is nice to carry and store, it is too small to cook multiple items at the same time.
Old 05-14-2020, 03:54 PM   #33
Mid Life Crisis-SBP

We cook most everything on our 22” Blackstone. Sear the steaks and then put them on a bakers rack that holds them 1/2” off the griddle with steaming cover and cook to preference. Scrape and then wipe down with a little water while still warm after every use, then scrub with scratch pad and water (only) occasionally. DO NOT use cleaner or degreaser! You will ruin your seasoning. We keep it in the pass-through with the top turner upside down, no cover. Good luck, you’ll love it.
Mid Life Crisis-SBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 04:25 PM   #34
Salty25

I got one and carry it in the bag. I got the bag from Wally world so maybe check there. I'd also check wally world online and have it shipped to the store; no shipping for that option.

USN (retired)
Retired Law Enforcement
Salty25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 10:25 AM   #35
msubobcats

We have the Coleman Roadtrek. It is ok to use as a burner but totally stinks as a grill. Besides, cleanup is a JOKE.. Would love the have a Pit Boss Tailgater and the small Blackstone (or the Pit Boss griddle). Just seems to be a better way of grilling, smoking, cooking.
msubobcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 10:48 AM   #36
rlh1957

For a grill we use the Weber Q1200. Did a quick disconnect conversion so I can use on RV outside quick connect gas, do a quick connect so I can use the little bottles and one to hook up my portable 20lb tank.
The heat this thing puts out is amazing. All grease or droppings all go down and into a tray. It's a 2 or 4 person grill. Not a giant feed the clan type of grill. Light and easy to cleanup and stow.
Still love our Blackstone also.

2020 Cougar Half Ton 29RKS Fifth Wheel
2019 F350 4WD Lariat SRW 6.7 Diesel Super Duty
Anderson Ultimate 5th Wheel Hitch - JT Strongarm TST509 TPMS- 2200W(8)Solar Panels - 600AH BattleBorn Lithium Batteries. 3000W Victron MultiPlus Inverter
SoftStartRV on both AC’s - Predator 3500 generator
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 06:29 PM   #37
Brantlyj

Our 17” in action tonight at the campsite. Fresh Iowa beef and Iowa bacon. Tasted so good!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D4B3A9C8-DFB2-4F38-AE7D-E5E69F1CBD9F.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	390.7 KB
ID:	27341  
Brantlyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 12:19 PM   #38
jimborokz

just ordered the Tailgater. We'll use it at the S&B this summer then pack it up in the camper for snowbird time.
jimborokz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 12:34 PM   #39
cavediver

We bought one at Walmart three years ago on sale with the lid and legs. Didn't take it out of the box until the start of the next season. We don't even take the webber anymore.
cavediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 06:51 PM   #40
Bob R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Aitken View Post
I bought the 17" model and wish I had bought the larger 22" version. While the small model is nice to carry and store, it is too small to cook multiple items at the same time.
I have the 17" guy and this last weekend during our trip I made Huevos Rancheros for 6 people.I was doing 8 tortillas at once ( then stacked in the corner to stay warm, a pound of chorizo along with 4 chorizo sausages which I removed to a skillet to stay warm and finished it off with 6 eggs at a time until I did 12 although I could have fit a lot more eggs. I was happily surprised at how well it worked. Between the griddle, a Coleman gas stove and a Smokey Joe from Weber I cook very little in the trailer.

bob