Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-08-2019, 06:40 AM   #1
ptpick

50 Amp issues, long explanation.

So here is the issue. A couple weeks ago we hooked up to site, connected everything. We have 50 amp on our 5er. After about an hour we noticed that lights were dimming, fridge not cooling and no hot water. Checked all connections at the power tree and the 5er, all good. Switched everything to gas, then decided for the heck to try the 30 amp service at the power tree. It worked fine. Spoke to the park and they admitted they were having issues with the 50 amp at some sites. Problem solved?? Fast forward to this weekend. Different campground, same issue. Problem no 30 amp at the tree. Switched to gas. Was disconnecting from power and packing the cord up, the camp host thought he had an adapter, while he was getting those adapters I reconnected everything, and guess what everything worked and now have 50 amp. After all this explanation, my question. Do I have a issue with the power cord or with the outlet connection on the side of my 5er? How can I test these?
ptpick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 07:47 AM   #2
travelin texans

First recommendation is if you don't have a 50 amp surge protector/ems, either portable or hardwired, GET ONE ASAP! Use it EVERY TIME EVERYWHERE you plug in. Yes you can still use the 30 to 50 adapter & still use it at 30 amp pedestals.
This will protect you from bad wiring, crossed up wiring, power surges & low/high voltage issues. They are pricey, but cheap compared to replacing all the electronic equipment in your rv.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 07:53 AM   #3
Fishsizzle

^Great advise ^ got one and it is piece of mind. So many parks are “older” and maintained by handymen. I can’t risk my trailer that I’m still making payments on! Or my families lives
2020 F350 Crew DRW 6.7, 4x4, 10 sod auto, 4:10 gears
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 08:31 AM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

Agree with the above. If you've invested in a 50A trailer you need/must invest in the EMS. Most of the questions you are asking would be answered by just looking at the readout on the EMS.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 01:11 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

To respond to your question: "Does this mean that I have a problem with the power cord?"

Short answer: It does look like there's a good possibility that there's a broken wire in the plug, probably where it connects to the park outlet. At least that's where I'd first do my "snooping". If it all looks good, then I'd look at the trailer end of the power cord. As for the "wire" my guess would be that it's OK from end to end, but there's always a chance it might be bad, so don't completely ignore the wire. My suspicions: Power plug end of the shore cable, trailer end of the shore cable, actual cable (between the plugs). In that order.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote