Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-28-2019, 07:59 AM   #1
RMC

Batteries not charging

Took the new 2019 Passport 220RBWE for our first dry camping experience this past week-end. We were surprised early the first morning when the battery alarm went off and soon after they were totally dead. I guess I should not have been surprised, the battery LED was at "E" when I checked it after setting up. I assumed that it was a defect with the LED because our previous trip was 5 days with full hookups. The batteries should have been recharged to full. We then parked it for 10 days with the negative lead disconnected and then drove for 2 hours to the campsite.

So it looks like the batteries are not charging from shore power or from the truck. I know the batteries are capable of charging because I jumped them from the truck to get the slide and awning in. In that 5 minutes they took a small charge, enough to operate the power hitch for a few seconds.

The RV dealer had a look and noted that the battery terminals connections were loose and that would prevent them from charging. Somehow I do not think that that is the full story.

I'm going to go over one night this week to see if tightening the terminal leads makes a difference. What else can I check? Is there a fuse involved that may have blown?
RMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 08:33 AM   #2
Logan X

Did you check your battery disconnect switch if you have one?
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 09:22 AM   #3
Carrottop

This maybe a longshot but Ford does not always install the Fuse that charges your trailer battery. Mine was sitting in the glove box with the brake controller wire adapter I had to install the fuse to charge the battery.
2015 Nissan Armada 5.6
2021 Keystone Residence 40FLFT
Carrottop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 09:40 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Lots of potential explanations and possibilities to check.

First, you say that you camped (with hookups) for several days without problems, so that would indicate that the converter is functional.

Second, you say that you stored the trailer with the negative battery cable disconnected until the recent trip. There are two reverse polarity fuses on the converter/power center faceplate. They're the red fuses, just to the left of the vertical stack of fuses (the 12VDC distribution bar). It's possible that one or both of those reverse polarity fuses has blown. That will stop the converter/charger from recharging the battery bank.

Third, if your batteries have been completely discharged and remained that way for a period of time, you may have damaged them beyond their ability to hold a charge. Typically, when in that condition, they will accept a small charge, but it's not enough to consider the batteries as serviceable. There's no "fix" for batteries that have been damaged in this way, replacement is the only "fix" and it doesn't matter if the batteries are 1 month old or 10 years old, once the plates have sulfated, the battery is toast.

Fourth, your truck will likely have a fuse to protect the charge circuit in the vehicle wiring. That fuse is usually in the "high voltage distribution box" located under the hood. Remember that the charge line from the truck's DC distribution system is not a "heavy duty wire". It's usually a 12 ga or 14 ga wire, capable of carrying 4 or 5 amps, enough to "boost a battery" but not sufficient, in a 1-3 hour tow, to recharge a dead battery. It would take roughly 36-48 hours at that charge rate, to recharge a "known good battery" but not much can "help a sulfated battery" to recover. So, relying on your truck to recharge a "totally dead battery" is, at best, futile and non-productive.

I'd suggest having the batteries function checked at an auto parts store, check the reverse polarity fuses and the output of the converter/charger at the battery cables. Do that by completely disconnecting the batteries, plug the trailer into shore power and use a voltmeter to measure the voltage available "AT THE BATTERY CABLE ENDS".... It should be 13.6 VDC. If it's not, then troubleshoot the converter/charger. If it is 13.6 VDC, then your batteries are not accepting the charge from the converter/charger.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 12:54 PM   #5
Customer1

Did you mean that you traveled with the ground cable disconnected?

If so;
1. the battery will not charge from the tow vehicle
2. in an emergency situation the breakaway braking system will not work which is illegal and very dangerous

Loose cables can certainly cause your symptoms.
Old 05-28-2019, 01:35 PM   #6
RMC

Stored with battery cable disconnected

The battery cable was only disconnected during the 10 days that it was stored. We do not have any power at the storage yard so we disconnect to prevent battery drain. I connected it back before towing.
Old 05-29-2019, 06:12 AM   #7
RMC

Reverse polarity fuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Lots of potential explanations and possibilities to check.

First, you say that you camped (with hookups) for several days without problems, so that would indicate that the converter is functional.

Second, you say that you stored the trailer with the negative battery cable disconnected until the recent trip. There are two reverse polarity fuses on the converter/power center faceplate. They're the red fuses, just to the left of the vertical stack of fuses (the 12VDC distribution bar). It's possible that one or both of those reverse polarity fuses has blown. That will stop the converter/charger from recharging the battery bank.

Third, if your batteries have been completely discharged and remained that way for a period of time, you may have damaged them beyond their ability to hold a charge. Typically, when in that condition, they will accept a small charge, but it's not enough to consider the batteries as serviceable. There's no "fix" for batteries that have been damaged in this way, replacement is the only "fix" and it doesn't matter if the batteries are 1 month old or 10 years old, once the plates have sulfated, the battery is toast.

Fourth, your truck will likely have a fuse to protect the charge circuit in the vehicle wiring. That fuse is usually in the "high voltage distribution box" located under the hood. Remember that the charge line from the truck's DC distribution system is not a "heavy duty wire". It's usually a 12 ga or 14 ga wire, capable of carrying 4 or 5 amps, enough to "boost a battery" but not sufficient, in a 1-3 hour tow, to recharge a dead battery. It would take roughly 36-48 hours at that charge rate, to recharge a "known good battery" but not much can "help a sulfated battery" to recover. So, relying on your truck to recharge a "totally dead battery" is, at best, futile and non-productive.

I'd suggest having the batteries function checked at an auto parts store, check the reverse polarity fuses and the output of the converter/charger at the battery cables. Do that by completely disconnecting the batteries, plug the trailer into shore power and use a voltmeter to measure the voltage available "AT THE BATTERY CABLE ENDS".... It should be 13.6 VDC. If it's not, then troubleshoot the converter/charger. If it is 13.6 VDC, then your batteries are not accepting the charge from the converter/charger.
You were bang on with your analysis John. The two reverse polarity fuses were blown. We initially had an issue on our first trip because I had hooked up the batteries backwards after taking them out of winter storage. Once I swapped them back to the proper positions everything seemed to be fine.

I've now got the batteries at home. I will take them down to get tested this weekend. In the mean time I've got them hooked up to a battery charger at 2 AMP setting. The voltage has come up to 12.6 but the charge status remains at LO (<50%). So they may be toast.

The fuses in the trailer have been replaced but I was not able to replace the truck fuse. It is a 2015 RAM 1500 and the fuse that I suspect to be the trailer power (F40) is not available at the local hardware store. It is a 30A cartridge style.
Old 05-29-2019, 06:58 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

That's great news. Now, depending on the results of the battery load tests, once you've got a "known good DC system" it's back to camping and enjoying your trailer !!!! Keep us posted

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote