Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 07-22-2018, 04:37 PM   #1
captcolour

Propane Usage -- Fridge only

I know it depends on ambient temperature, but with 2 30 lb tanks, and assuming 90 outside during the day, about how many days/weeks can I expect from the two tanks running the refrigerator on propane only, 24/7? I just ran out after 4 weeks. I have no idea if this is about "normal" or not. Thanks.
captcolour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 04:46 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Dometic 6 cubic foot, hooked up to a 7 gal bottle went 30 days in our test.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 05:11 PM   #3
captcolour

I went all last year without filling tanks -- probably a total of 8 weeks. Granted it is hotter this year. I had the tanks filled when the unit was in for preventive maintenance in April before our first trip this year. Perhaps they didn't fill them even though I was charged, or only filled one and the other was empty.
Old 07-23-2018, 12:32 AM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by captcolour View Post
I went all last year without filling tanks -- probably a total of 8 weeks. Granted it is hotter this year. I had the tanks filled when the unit was in for preventive maintenance in April before our first trip this year. Perhaps they didn't fill them even though I was charged, or only filled one and the other was empty.
There's an unknown, or unconfirmed. I would personally remove both tanks and weigh them so you know what you have. You can mark the tank with the date filled using color chalk so you know the correct date. Just curious why you would have the refer running 8 weeks without using it? I wouldn't want to eat anything in the fridge after that long and if it's frozen your pushing poultry and pork in my opinion. YMMV
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 03:03 AM   #5
Harleydodge

They run pretty much 1lb/day give or take.
We run one at our cabin from June until October.
The reason we leave it running is to have a cold fridge when we or other Family arrive and also, I find the unit burns way cleaner if we leave it on as opposed to lighting it every time.
I clean it annually and since we started to run it all season (about 10 years ago) it has been much cleaner.

Also, and more inline with your question, did/do you leave anything else on, such as the water heater or furnace? in cooler weather, you certainly could use 2 30lb tanks in a month.

2013 Raptor 310ts Toy Hauler
2017 Dodge Ram 6.7l CTD DRW Laramie Longhorn
2008 FLHTC Harley.

Harleydodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 04:41 AM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleydodge View Post
They run pretty much 1lb/day give or take.
We run one at our cabin from June until October.
The reason we leave it running is to have a cold fridge when we or other Family arrive and also, I find the unit burns way cleaner if we leave it on as opposed to lighting it every time.
I clean it annually and since we started to run it all season (about 10 years ago) it has been much cleaner.

Also, and more inline with your question, did/do you leave anything else on, such as the water heater or furnace? in cooler weather, you certainly could use 2 30lb tanks in a month.
Then I would think that you and the OP must have solar panels to supply the dc that long.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 05:42 AM   #7
captcolour

My 4 or 8 weeks haven't been contiguous. This year, just about 4 weeks worth of use since our first trip early May. About 2 weeks in May. 10 days in June, and about a week so far in July. No furnace and no hot water heater used. Just fridge. Had many 95+ days during those weeks of use. I let the dealer fill the tanks in April since it was in for service. They charged me a specific amount based on amount filled. From now on, I will take the tanks for filling myself.

I was surprised to come back to the unit late yesterday to find it out of propane and the fridge at 59. Fortunately I carry a filled 20 lb bottle for the grill so installed that and back up and running.
Old 07-23-2018, 06:37 AM   #8
Harleydodge

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Then I would think that you and the OP must have solar panels to supply the dc that long.

I had stated my use was at a cabin, and although we do have a small solar system for lights, the fridge itself up there has no DC side (no fan needed, as the back is not enclosed like it is in an RV).

I just used the example for the amount of Propane we use to only run the fridge.

2013 Raptor 310ts Toy Hauler
2017 Dodge Ram 6.7l CTD DRW Laramie Longhorn
2008 FLHTC Harley.

Harleydodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 04:55 PM   #9
captcolour

Just had the 2 30 lb tanks filled at Tractor Supply. An empty 30 lb tank takes about 6.3 gallons of LP.

Tags
fridge, propane