Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-15-2018, 11:03 AM   #21
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSH View Post
Why would you open the gray with the black open? You might get some black tank crap into the gray tank..

With the black tank and main gray tank valves shut, the kitchen gray tank empties as it fills. The tank is about 20 feet away from the black tank and with the dump valve on the black tank shut, not sure how a back up into the gray tank could happen.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 11:09 AM   #22
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappydude View Post
For the life of me I can't figure out why anyone would want to leave the cap off their black tank while traveling. Better yet, I'd REALLY hate to be following someone who had......that "crap" has to go somewhere and I'd hope it's not all over the windshield and/or the front of my rig.
I suppose some people would rather travel without a cap than to face a full pipe behind a cap when they begin to dump.... That said, like you, I'd prefer not to be behind them as they spread their "poo" across the interstate. There's something to be said about "crappy people"

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 11:17 AM   #23
pauls1965

What I've found is that toilet paper can hang up on the black water sensor and give false readings. Never leave your Black Water drain open when attached to a full hook up. Only dump after 2/3 or fuller.

If your trailer is equipped, use a separate, hose (only used for this function for health reasons) to your black water tank flushing nozzles. After you dump the initial contents shut the valve and use the flushing system to bring the tank level back to 1/2 to 2/3rds and dump again. If you will be traveling and have access to dump stations along your route (as in many Rest Areas in Washington state), empty a bag of ice cubes from any convenience store into your toilet between an hour to an hour & a half before dumping. This will loosen up any stuck on materials and should provide you with a more efficient dumping of your black water tank. Make sure to use your flushing system every time you can to ensure the best cleaning possible. Also after dumping, be sure to add 3 to 5 gal of water into the tank with one the enzyme additives available. This helps reduce smells and assists in breaking down solids. Also you may want to purchase a clear pipe section to place between your outfall and hose so you can observe what is passing out of the tanks. I did and it has prove to be very helpful.

As mentioned in the posts, grey water tanks can be or don't have to be open. This is a personal preference. You do want enough water in your grey tank to flush out the dumping hose but I always follow-up any use of the dumping hose with a flush of water from the dump stations water hose.

My trailer has 2 grey tanks, one services the kitchen and bathroom sink and is called Grey Tank and one services the shower and is called the Gallery Tank which is the smaller of the 2. I leave the gallery tank open when hooked up and only dump the grey tank as needed just to help flush out any food or other residue that can settle in the tank.
pauls1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 06:23 PM   #24
pitman44

We have a washer and our Rv is on a seasonal site. I leave that grey tank open. We also have a black tank flush. I leave the black valve closed until ready to dump. Let it fill pretty full in between dumps.
pitman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 06:43 PM   #25
imapackerback

I work at a campground with full hookups and one of the things we say to folks when they are checking in is "Please use chemical in your black tank and leave your valve closed and don't dump until about 2/3rds full"... Most of our guests look at me like "duh... of course, we know that." But I do feel good when we catch a rookie who says "Really? Why?" We then explain how the solids will build up if you let all the liquids run out, not to mention the odors it can cause in their rigs. My best advise to newbies (and how I am STILL learning) is to watch a lot of Youtube videos AND belong to a forum such as this one and ask questions! There are a ton of us out here willing to help when we can
imapackerback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 07:12 PM   #26
Andymil

A kitchen is also known as a galley. A second grey tank for the kitchen sink is called the “galley tank”.
Andymil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 08:04 PM   #27
sourdough
Site Team

I've said this before, but, leaving your valves open just opens you up for problems and the only thing it saves you is maybe 10 minutes a week.

I did it once....only once. At the end of 3 weeks I had to remove and throw away the sewer hose. Why? Nothing moved. All of the water/stuff creeped out. Black tank, just a build up in the bottom because there was not water to flush it out. Gray tanks; soap buildup, stuff from the kitchen built up in the hose ( and who knows where else) completely fouling everything because there was no water to flush it out. Just think about it. There is NO way around that happening if you just open the dump valves and let them dribble away. I don't have issues but I use lots of water and dump appropriately; that will not happen for long if you just leave the valves open - promise.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 08:44 PM   #28
Electric Bill

Just my own advice on tank emptying.

You always want to empty the black tank first then your grey tanks. Its a good idea to have a full tank of fresh water if available without EVER using the hose at a dump facility! What I do is fill up a 5 gallon bucket of water after I've opened the black water valve and flush the toilet while pouring the water down the toilet as fast as it can take the water. This helps clean out the tank. The shower or bathtub faucet works good for filling the bucket. After you've done that a few times and emptied your other tanks, then fill the tanks with some water. Filling the black water tank about 1/3 full works good. Then drive around for bit making turns to slosh the water around then go and empty the tanks again. Afterwards put a few gallons of water and your chemicals in the tanks.
Electric Bill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank