Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 01-26-2017, 04:26 PM   #1
JBauern

Grey tank

Good day. 2015/16 Bullet 269RSL. Living full time, and newbie. We were informed, to leave the gray tank valve open. The kitchen sink is a one basin style large sink. When the sink is half full of water, then drained, I can hear it thump and rattle the pipes, and a few times, stuff came up thru the shower drain. If I took off one of the "vacuum" valves by the sink, it would drain normally. I was then informed to keep the gray tank closed, and drain it when it gets full, so as to prevent stuff from building up, and to allow it to go down. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
JBauern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 04:43 PM   #2
Javi

In my experience it is better to keep the valves closed and dump only when full. Also a good idea to not put solids in the grey tanks like coffee grounds or food particles.

Javi
Old 01-26-2017, 04:49 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Leave the drains closed and drain when full. You will get the feel for normal draining once you've done it a bit. I've tried both and leaving the valves open causes a number of problems; things don't fully flush from the tanks, ie; any tiny bits of solid anything, scum builds up all over the place and it is difficult to get out. After leaving ours open for 1 1/2 months on a trip (first/last time doing it) the sewer hose was very heavy even when drained...it was full of scum and I had to power wash it to clean it....it split on the next use. It's also hard to control the smell because of the build up.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 04:54 PM   #4
Murphsmom

We leave both valves closed until time to dump. Food scraps are wiped off of plates with paper towels. We also use plastic tubs in the sinks when washing dishes. If there is a grey water dump station at the park (we mostly use state park facilities), then we dispose of the wash water there. If not, we flush it down the black tank. It never hurts to have extra water in the black tank. When dumping, open the black first. When that is flushed out well, open the grey to rinse the stinky slinky.
Murphsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 04:55 PM   #5
66joej

Agree. Leave them closed until full. You will get to know the system after a while.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 05:18 PM   #6
JBauern

Hi. Tanks. The only solids that go down , are the ones when rinsing the sink out. The plates are cleaned before washing. No coffee, etc.
JBauern is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank