Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 01-01-2017, 10:16 PM   #1
papi

Drw car wash

This might be a stupid question but, I am new to the DRW. How or where do you guys wash your DRW? Especially those of us who live in the cold weather. I want to think car wash are out of the question unless I am wrong. My truck is red an it looks white now because of all the salt on the roads.

2016 Keystone Cougar 339BHS
2017 Dodge Ram 3500 diesel, DWR
papi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 04:40 AM   #2
bsmith0404

There are many car washes that can fit a dually. Mainly the ones touchless ones that don't have the tracks on the floor. I see quite a few that actually put up signs. If all else fails, ask. Touchless car washes aren't always great for removing all of the road grime, but they'll get a lot of the salt off until you have a nice day when you can do a better hand wash.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 06:04 AM   #3
Toy boy

I use a self service or wash it at home, I would not run mine threw a car wash

2012 3500 gmc drw
2015 fuzion 371
Toy boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 06:53 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy boy View Post
I use a self service or wash it at home, I would not run mine threw a car wash

2012 3500 gmc drw
2015 fuzion 371
I did the same when I was in Louisiana. I don't believe my 99 SuperDuty ever saw a car wash. But, living in northern Michigan, if I even attempted to wash the truck at home between December and April, I'd wind up with an ice skating rink in the driveway. Not to mention risking a frozen water faucet on the side of the house. I'd suppose the "luxury of a home wash" is pretty much a "wish for but can't" for many of us that live this far north.

That said, with a SRW, almost any car wash with 7'+ of vertical clearance is "good to go". There's only one place around here and two in Traverse City that I know have clearance for a DRW truck's width. That's out of at least 50 or so car washes. So, it does become a "hunt and find" kind of event. But I'd suppose that anyone with a DRW does that early in their ownership. It's only when travelling that it becomes an issue. Then, the hunt starts again....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 08:21 PM   #5
MattHelm21

Having lived in New Jersey and owning Dually's since 2000, I can tell you there are no traditional automated car washes which will take a dually near me. If they use the tire track system to pull the car through then dually's are out. Touchless systems are next on the list and I'd probably drive 50 miles for a wash in the winter if there was one anywhere near me, but I've been waiting 16 years and so far no luck here. For some reason it doesn't seem to be a viable business in New Jersey.

As was mentioned in an earlier post, hand washing in the driveway is out in the winter due to freezing. Any other season, this is the only method I've used where I've been happy with the results(except for custom detailing). In the winter, I will use the coin operated wash bays. I would recommend waiting for a sunny day above freezing as there is no way to hand dry the truck before the water freezes to the body. Good luck.
Old 04-09-2017, 03:52 PM   #6
hdrolling

Just to add to this older post, yes some auto car washes do fit dually trucks. The width shouldn't matter because the rear doesn't stick out any more than the mirrors.

You can always ask or look up the brand car wash online, here is the link to the brand I use and it specifically says "Including Duallys"

Scroll down in the link to were it says "Vehicle Positioning"
http://www.pdqinc.com/car-wash-equip...autoxpress.asp

There is also youtubes videos showing people running the DRW in the auto car washes. You can look through those and see if any of the same brand washes are in your area.

Retired Army, 22yrs
hdrolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 05:14 PM   #7
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Just became an issue when the young kids in the detail shop changed. When I bought the Dually the salesman said any time I wanted the truck washed to bring it to the detail shop. Which I did say every couple weeks for over three years, the kids, who got to know me, when they knew I was there one of them would drive it through the car wash. it would get air dried on the way home. Never an issue,so never thought of looking at the type of car wash machine. So around mid 2016 I take it up to the detail shop, all new people that I could see. New supervisor begins telling me it will not fit through there, same machine, he then calls manager (new again). same from him will not fit. As I was trying to explain that I have been doing this for 3+ years, here comes one of the original kids. As we are talking he takes my keys as usual and drives it through the car wash as we were standing there. I had enough and decided to just go home thinking this is now solved for the future.

Next time here we go again the last original kid is now gone, but others remember me. They explain that the owner now has stated no more duallys in the car wash ??? apparently one of the new kids drove a regular car thorough the wash and damaged the car . I guess the Management thinking was if they can not drive a car though there, they are not taking a dually through there. You know, I had to agree I would not want them taking mine though there. So they washed it my hand and I left.

Last time there for State inspection, truck was clean so I did not go back to the detail shop, Talking to salesman while waiting, apparently the word was out from the owner "No Duallys in Car Wash" We will see what happens next time

So yes duallys fit in certain car wash, but someone needs to know how to drive it I guess though
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 06:31 PM   #8
RandyandDeb

Most of the car washes around here have a truck bay. Gotta do it yourself, but no big deal. Haven't tried any of the automatic wash bays.
2017 Chevrolet Silverado Crew Cab LB 3500 Duramax HD DRW
RandyandDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 06:35 AM   #9
pawpaw

Guess I'm lucky to be able to wash mine at home year round. Maybe got down in the 30's for 2 nights this winter and mostly in the 70's or 80's in the daytime. I usually buy a light colored truck so they stay clean looking longer.
Old 04-13-2017, 07:05 AM   #10
hdrolling

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawpaw View Post
Guess I'm lucky to be able to wash mine at home year round. Maybe got down in the 30's for 2 nights this winter and mostly in the 70's or 80's in the daytime. I usually buy a light colored truck so they stay clean looking longer.
Kinda the same here, but I'm disabled and can't always do the hand wash.

With all the pollen this time of year it's more convenient to pay $8 and be in and out in a couple minutes. I went yesterday in fact.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8339.JPG
Views:	234
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	12294   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8341.JPG
Views:	207
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	12295   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8342.JPG
Views:	206
Size:	128.7 KB
ID:	12296  

Retired Army, 22yrs
hdrolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 08:48 AM   #11
pawpaw

I usually get my 16 yr old grandson to help...I'll use the Carolina wash and wax concentrate with a designated brush and he'll do the rinsing. Did my chrome and front of the truck real good last week for the upcoming love bug season! I usually let him take it for a spin after helping.
Old 04-13-2017, 01:07 PM   #12
Todd727

Around me, eventually it rains. I take pride in not washing my truck.

No salt though...
Old 04-13-2017, 04:30 PM   #13
MattHelm21

Quote:
it's more convenient to pay $8 and be in and out in a couple minutes. I went yesterday in fact.
Go ahead. Rub it in guys.