Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 05-04-2016, 05:20 AM   #1
Blackrock

New tire and TPMS

Put some new tires on our new truck this week. Upgraded the factory P tires to a set of LT's for a little more carrying capacity. With our new fifth wheel I am right at gvw with a good load on the rear axle. Truck only had 3400 miles on it so I asked the tire manager if he could give me a little on the take offs. He took them for $50 each so a $200 credit against an almost $800 bill came out pretty good.

Didn't know how the TPMS would react to the new air pressure setting (65psi) against the old setting of 44psi but there is no problems at all. In fact the DIC when toggled to the TPMS screen shows all tires at 65. This new generation of TPMS system is a great improvement over the one of a few years ago.

Bob n Judy n Nanook n Biscuit n Elsa
2016 Ram 1500 - 2016 Laredo 265SRK
Running on the ragged edge of respectability
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 12:15 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

When does the low pressure warning come on? If your tire runs at 65psi you may want it to warn you before it comes on at 40psi or lower.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 02:10 PM   #3
Blackrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
When does the low pressure warning come on? If your tire runs at 65psi you may want it to warn you before it comes on at 40psi or lower.
That's a good question, I really don't know for sure. Even for tires at 44psi I'm not sure.

Old 05-04-2016, 03:37 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

The TPMS on my Ram would show the yellow warning (P rated 44 psi tires) when the pressure was somewhere in the upper 30s if I recall (freezing weather). If you are running tires with 65psi and a load that corresponds to that pressure you might be in a situation if you don't know you have a low tire until it hits 35-40 psi.

The dealership might be able to recalibrate to the 65 psi tires; I know they can do some things but they could not recalibrate my 2014 2500 from 80 psi to 65 psi. Something to think about.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 04:16 PM   #5
Blackrock

Time to rely on input from the seat of the pants plus listen for a singing tire like the old days. That and a good walk around inspection in the morning and at rest stops can prevent a lot of problems.

Old 05-09-2016, 09:22 PM   #6
Big Boy w/ Big Toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackrock View Post
Time to rely on input from the seat of the pants plus listen for a singing tire like the old days. That and a good walk around inspection in the morning and at rest stops can prevent a lot of problems.

All in with Blackrock on this. Checking with a TP gauge would be your best option. There is nothing better then a good walk around to include checking all your lights are functioning as required.

Next option would be a system that you can see actual tire pressure and temperature which it sounds like your system is pretty close. What sucks is many tire dealers will not install tires unless the factory system is functioning properly which can be an issue for those that do frequent tire swaps.
Big Boy w/ Big Toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 04:27 AM   #7
slow

An option to consider is installing TPMS on your FW and add another 4 sensors to your TV. Depending on the system you install, not only will you be able to set the lower pressure alarm point, but also monitor the tire temperature.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 06:46 AM   #8
Hansel

I don't have any of the new fancy truck's with TPMS or on my camper, but I do a visual inspection before every trip, and make sure the pressure's are set. The way I can tell if tire pressure are getting low is by poor handling, and the camper feels like it weighs a lot more than it is.
2003 F-350 CCDRW 2X4 7.3L Powerstroke
Hansel is offline   Reply With Quote