Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 05-05-2016, 09:35 PM   #21
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverpilot View Post
Nice. Good stuff on the air filter.

As far as the warmup goes, I either just drive it -- or I can cheat and pull the exhaust brake, one benefit to having a manual one. Loads up the engine pretty well at idle and it'll warm right up on a cold morning. Noisy though, so not campground friendly, but that's true of the thing just idling let alone whistling along with the exhaust brake running.

I should probably look into upgrading to a Smarty.
The exhaust brake sees more warmup time than the 3-cylinder high idle as it never gets that cold parked inside to actuate the high idle. The few times the high idle has actuated was due to being parked outside during really cold weather and it worked really well. Its also much quieter than the using the exhaust brake even though idling @ 1200 RPM. The computer alone makes the decision to utilize high idle or not.

My '94 12V had a block heater, and seemed to like warmer starts more than the '01. I attribute that to mechanical injection on the '94 vs electronic injection on the '01.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 10:59 PM   #22
denverpilot

I changed the engine fuel filter today, mostly out of curiosity, since the AirDog filter is in front of it. Perfectly clean. Replaced with my usual Baldwin PF7977.

Interestingly I looked at the old filter and noticed it had a CarQuest part number on it, and it appears to be IDENTICAL to the Baldwin. (Filter was last replaced by my Cummins guy and I know he does not use junk filters... It appears that he figured out that the CarQuest part is a direct cross and looks to be made by the same folks as the Baldwin. Even the printing of th part number is in the same place and by what appears to be the same machine.)

So, if the CarQuest part number is cheaper... There's a couple of bucks for y'all if your changing out the fuel filter... Same number of pleats, same filter material...

But... A quick Google search of that part number didn't come up with anything. Hmm.
Old 05-06-2016, 07:04 AM   #23
Desert185

I currently use a Napa (Wix) fuel filter. A Cummins Fleetguard was my choice but I had a leak at the o-ring. On closer inspection, the o-ring was pretty small compared to the one removed, which I found to be extremely odd considering it was directly from Cummins.

Staying with the Fleetguard Stratapore oil filter, though...
Old 05-07-2016, 11:53 PM   #24
denverpilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert185 View Post
I currently use a Napa (Wix) fuel filter. A Cummins Fleetguard was my choice but I had a leak at the o-ring. On closer inspection, the o-ring was pretty small compared to the one removed, which I found to be extremely odd considering it was directly from Cummins.

Staying with the Fleetguard Stratapore oil filter, though...

I'm with ya on the Fleetguard for the oil filter, but the Fleetguard fuel filter is rated at 7 microns, and the one I'm using at 5, so I use it.

I was just surprised to find that my diesel guy also apparently uses the same filter I do (I never checked it, I trust him - he has to fix them if he messes up, and he's way too busy to be making work for himself! Haha!) but with that CarQuest part number printed on it at the factory.

I really should have shot a photo of them side by side. The printing and everything about them are identical.

I may have to call him and ask him what the real p/n is so I can see if there's any real price difference. Not like these things are all that much money anyway, but it's just fun to find out.

I know if I call him though, he's going to ask if I want to do that computer upgrade, and ask how the clutch is doing and whether I want him to just upgrade it now, and ... Haha. It will turn into an expensive conversation.

It's an illness playing with these trucks. They're so "playable". Heh. I can spent a lot of money playing around and upgrading this thing for the difference in a new one!
Old 05-08-2016, 09:18 AM   #25
Desert185

Southbend clutch? I wonder what he recommends for replacement of the stock rotors and pads besides MOPAR (which isn't a bad option)?

I had Dodge upgrade the stock software prior to the Smarty tuner for the latest stock SW reference. Two versions newer and less smoke.

Mine is running so good I'm almost worried.
Old 05-08-2016, 09:30 AM   #26
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by talley View Post
I am a new member. Tow a Bullet 220 rbi with a GVW of about 6500 lbs. I tow with a 2001 Dodge diesel Cummins 24 valve with 118,000 miles on it. I am the original owner and have kept up the maintenance and never had a problem. Some people have told me I should get rid of it before I start having problems. Others tell me the truck is just broken in and good for another 100,000 miles. Any advice regarding the truck would be appreciated.
Now is the time to decide who you would like to leave the truck to in your will. My son is waiting for my 04 ....... the landscaper I sold my '94 says it is still going strong although a tear comes to my eye every time I see the the condition of the body on the old girl.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 09:44 AM   #27
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
Now is the time to decide who you would like to leave the truck to in your will. My son is waiting for my 04 ....... the landscaper I sold my '94 says it is still going strong although a tear comes to my eye every time I see the the condition of the body on the old girl.
My son thought about taking my '94 12 valve, but he bought a Tundra for more money and is getting less mileage. It is quieter, has four doors and more properly matches his metrosexual lifestyle...so I understand...and the wifey wanted it to go to her brother, anyway. Still in the family.
Old 05-22-2016, 06:18 PM   #28
Txmasterplumber

I had a 2001 2500, 5.9 CTD, HO with a 6 sp manual. It had a little over 430,000 on it when I sold it. I had to replace the injector pump multiple times, and the lift pump as well. The head gasket was leaking, and had it replaced. I told the mechanic to check the valves over, might as well do a rebuild if necessary, but he told me that it looked like it just had been rebuilt. Replaced the clutch at around 245,000 miles with a Southbend, and was going strong when was sold. The only reason that I bought a new truck, was my DW kept bugging the crap out of me to get a new one......... and you know you don't argue with the boss.
Txmasterplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 07:04 PM   #29
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert185 View Post

I have an '01 Laramie SLT with a 6-speed manual with 310,000 miles. No rust or other issues. Just maintain it and it will do the job. Can't endorse the auto transmission, though. I had a '94 that I changed to a Suncoast. The original 47RH in that one only lasted 98,000 miles.

If you beef up the tranny, a Smarty tuner is the way to go, but the importance of A-pillar gauges to monitor lift pump fuel pressure, boost and especially EGT can't be emphasized enough.

PM me if you need more info.
Well Desert185 has about 17,000 more miles than me, but we still both tow about the same weight. I also have a manual trans.
My neighbor in the storage yard has a 12 valve with over 500,000 miles.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 09:00 PM   #30
Desert185

Bilstein 5100's