Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 10-18-2015, 06:05 PM   #1
amaziing1

Gassing up!

I pull a 2006 gran surveyor fifth-wheel i'm more than a little apprehensive about pulling into service stations. I estimate my unit to be 12 and a half foot tall. My question is how to determine if there's enough height at the service pump to pull in and fill-up?
amaziing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 06:17 PM   #2
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaziing1 View Post
I pull a 2006 gran surveyor fifth-wheel i'm more than a little apprehensive about pulling into service stations. I estimate my unit to be 12 and a half foot tall. My question is how to determine if there's enough height at the service pump to pull in and fill-up?
Most service stations are designed to handle tractor-trailer rigs which stand higher than our fivers. If you have any doubt, make a habit out of stopping at truck stops and using the truck lanes or the RV lanes.

I have a pretty good eye for estimating dimensions of things like overpasses and gas pump roofs. Most of the stations I've seen all appear to be 16 feet or more. 14 is the magic number anyway because that's the minimum height for all the interstate bridges and overpasses.

Frankly, I'm a lot more worried about overpasses on secondary roads that may be marked as tall enough for my rig, but with a few additional layers of pavement over the years might actually be too short. I drove under one today that was marker 12'2" and I know I'd be ripping off the MaxAir over the bedroom if I tried to take the trailer under it.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 06:21 PM   #3
Alpine

First off

You will find "most" stations post the height of their canopy on the upper edge where you pull under. If in question get out and take a look as you get close! I can probably count on one hand how many times I have fueled up with my 5vr attached to the truck and we full time! At the end of the drive day we unhook at the rv park where we are staying just to be level and solid, so we run into the town grab a bite or shop...and then fill-er-up on the way back.

Jeff & Jan - Retired & Full-timing since 2013
2019 Ram Big Horn 3500 Aisin 4x4
2012 Alpine 3450-RL
Double Coin 235/75R-17.5/16 J rated 125lb
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 03:31 AM   #4
notanlines

Honestly, Amazing, just use the truck lanes. You might have to wait wherever you decide so just make it easy on yourself. The only difference is that in the truck lanes the other drivers will want to know all about the unit you're pulling and you'll want to know where they're from and then the conversation goes from there. In the four wheeler section you'll scowl at the lady with the Ford Explorer in the diesel lane and she'll scowl at you because you blocked the entry.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 03:35 AM   #5
mazboy123

height at a gas station has never been an issue for me....they all are high enough to accomadate a 5th wheel.

but if nervous use the truck lines.
mazboy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 01:08 PM   #6
gearhead

I've used some that were pretty close. Latest being a relatively new WalMart "neighborhood market" in Texarkana TX.
I will say I truly hate truck stops. You wait in line to pump with 5 impatient truck drivers behind you. The pump won't take my credit card. Go inside and prepay. Pump diesel while standing in the spills. Fuel all over the pump handle. Pull forward or try to find a place to park and go back inside to figure out paying for it. All that for fuel that is more expensive than the regular service station. OK, rant is done.
And....are y'alls super WalMarts like most around here....there is no way to get a truck pulling a trailer anywhere near the diesel pumps. Apparently they don't want RV business.
When on the road I look for an exit that has several brands of gas stations. I can usually get in and out of one. I have woke the bride up to get out and watch the clearance.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 04:57 AM   #7
{tpc}

Huh. I don't have a 5th wheel but never been concerned pulling into just about any station. Some are easier to deal with than others, but I have to think fuel tankers sit high enough...higher than me, so I don't worry about it much.

I agree with the overpasses. Its why I try to avoid going off the map, so to speak, as you never know what lies ahead. I have a phone app that will point out low overpasses, but I think thats more normally driven roads than anything else. And of course you have to look through your route on the app ahead of time.
Old 10-22-2015, 11:01 AM   #8
SAABDOCTOR

You can come to my gas station! Our canopy was modified by a 11 foot ryder rental truck driven by by a 20 year old speeding through to do a u turn and raised our 10 foot canopy to infinity! Happy motoring!
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 03:13 PM   #9
rjsurfer

I can't agree more about not using the truck stops for fuel. You pay a premium for fuel and your shoes and hands are covered in diesel by the time your done.

I prefer the car only type stations and after awhile I can figure an entrance and exit strategy as soon as I see a station.

Ron W.
700 watts solar
2000 watt inverter
rjsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 04:32 PM   #10
swanson

Excuse me but, I think most of you have missed the point! Amaziing 1 stated in his question "I estimate my unit to be 12 and a half foot tall."

Amaziing 1: PLEASE MEASURE YOUR UNIT! Don't guess.

{tic}: Your statement on the "fuel tankers" being higher then you. It might be true for your unit, but I wouldn't want to trust my height to theirs.

My opinion only!!!
swanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 09:11 AM   #11
FlyingChief

1. Measure the height of your rig - hooked up and ready to tow. "Estimating" the height is a recipe for something bad to happen.

2. Personally, I've found that many gas stations have the height of the canopy posted. As SAABDOCTOR says, there are many out there that at are much shorter than our RVs. If I can't find a station with the height posted, I will go VERY slowly and ask the copilot to watch for me.
FlyingChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 10:53 AM   #12
C130

About 3 weeks ago I learned a lesson; plan carefully on a Friday afternoon before pulling in to a popular local gas station. Place was crazy busy with a lot of the Hispanic yard crews finishing up their hard work day with their trailers being towed all over the parking lot. Cars everywhere and one of my neighbors was already stuck in the parking lot with his new 5th wheel. It was too late to back out when I turned off the freeway so I blocked the entrance for a good 10 minutes. Finally got pulled up to a pump, filled up, then had to figure out how to maneuver around the parking lot. Luckily, one of the yard crews helped me maneuver around their trailer and then guide me through some other vehicles. Great bunch of hard working guys that helped me out. By the way, I did not mean any disrespect calling them "Hispanic yard crews" but we have tons of guys that do yard work around here. They work their butt off and they are always so willing to help and so respectful.

I'm too cheap to use the truck stops most of the time. I love the convenience but hate the ridiculous prices. I use the Ford sync and travel guide to check the best prices. I figure if the 18 wheelers can get in to deliver gas I can make it around somehow. There have been a couple of times I wished I had paid the extra 20-30 cents per gallon though. It's usually pretty easy to check the height, of course I probably just cursed myself by saying that.
Old 10-26-2015, 01:28 PM   #13
Javi

Y'all must travel different routes than we do, the truck stops I see are at most $.05 more than the mom & pop. And you won't EVER see me buying diesel at a mom & pop, too much risk of bad diesel. I been there, done that and I got a tee shirt and ball cap to prove it.

Truck stops are your best friend if you own a diesel.
Old 10-26-2015, 04:30 PM   #14
buckeyebobhockingcamper

fuel stops

i never do the mom and pop stations,we have the next exit book and have marked all easy in and out truck stops on our run to florida down 77.i installed a 37 gallon auxilliary tank in truck bed for piece of mind having only 26 gallon truck tank.gotta agree on black fuel pump nozzles,how they get that dirty is a mystery
buckeyebobhockingcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 05:50 PM   #15
JRTJH
Site Team

I carry a box of HF Nitrile exam gloves in the truck. One on either hand to handle the dirty nozzle and toss it in the trash when I'm done refueling. So far, I've drawn the line at shoe covers, but it's frustrating to stand in a half gallon of diesel with clean hands LOL

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 06:46 PM   #16
C130

I stopped at a couple of very interesting truck stops coming back from Alabama with our new toy hauler a couple of months ago. Diesel was cheap, about 20 cents cheaper than the Loves across the highway, but they were totally different than the Loves or Pilot truck stops. All the semis were older, junkier looking rigs and were not too nice inside. Let's just say there were some characters there. Everyone was nice but it was very entertaining. One was in Mississippi, not like any truck stop I've ever been to.
Old 10-26-2015, 08:51 PM   #17
amaziing1

excuse me that was estimate... not guesstimate that I stated. should have used my caliper and quite possibly my pro tractor. thanks, jezz!
amaziing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 06:01 AM   #18
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaziing1 View Post
excuse me that was estimate... not guesstimate that I stated. should have used my caliper and quite possibly my pro tractor. thanks, jezz!
No need to get the nickers in a wad. Estimating the height of your fifth wheel is a recipe to being 1" too short (or too tall). That could spell disaster on an overpass that's marked a "tad lower than we estimate," or as baby bear stated, "Just Right".....

Knowing your "HITCHED HEIGHT" is vital. The height of your RV when parked will be different than when hitched, and most of us don't need to worry about how tall it is when sitting in a campground or storage yard. On the other hand, being towed is when it's "vulnerable" to that estimate being "just a tad wrong".... Get a 2x4, a level and a tape measure. Hitch your trailer, find a level spot, crawl on top, level the 2x4 on the highest part of your roof, then make sure it's level and measure from there to the ground. Then you'll know for sure if you'll fit under that obstacle.

Oh, and is your pro tractor a Deere, a Kubota or the new contender, Mahindra??? <wink>

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 05:15 PM   #19
gtsum2

When traveling I always hit travel centers for fuel. Diesel is usually just as cheap or cheaper, I know they go through so much of it the chances of bad fuel are low. And I don't need to stress about fitting in or under things there
Old 10-30-2015, 09:48 AM   #20
SAABDOCTOR

WHEN HE FINDS AN ESTIMATED CANOPY AT 12FT 4 HE WILL FIND OUT HOW GOOD HIS ESITMATE IS!! THE POINT OF my post was that not all canopy's are high enough for all trucks. Ours used to be 10FT. till the ryder truck came sailing through at 40mph!
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote