Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 09-22-2015, 04:35 PM   #1
wldwilliam

will hooking up Inverter and Generator thru y-cable to shore plug cause damage?

I want to hook up my generator and inverter in such a way that I don't have to exit the trailer to switch between the two. I'll do my best to paint the picture...

Using a Y-cable, I will split the shore-plug into a 30amp male plug that goes to the generator output and a 15amp male plug that goes to the inverter output.

RUNNING ON GEN - With the inverter OFF and the generator ON (converter also ON), will I do any damage to the inverter by feeding it 110v from the generator, thru the y-cable, to the output side?

RUNNING ON INVERTER - With the generator OFF (converter also OFF) and the inverter ON, will I do any damage to the generator by feeding it 110v from the inverter, thru the y-cable, to the 30amp output plug?

All this so I don’t have to walk out there and plug and un-plug the generator/inverter.

Thanks in advance -
Bill

Bill McCall
2016 Cougar 29RKS
2006 Desert Fox 17VS
2005 F350 Powerstroke
1994 Jeep YJ
wldwilliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 05:23 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

I'm not an electrician, but I can't help but think "back feeding" either component is not a good thing, and possibly quite dangerous, isn't that why emergency power units installed in houses have transfer switches or isolators?

What are you trying to power with the inverter? If you have a single group 24 battery (common "stock" set-up) you are limited on how many and for how long anything being powered will operate. While your operating the inverter you still have a few things drawing 12V. The refrigerator is the most important, it has to have at least 10.5V for the controls to operate, and if it's a Dometic 9.6V to maintain the gas flame.

A more detailed explanation of your goals other than not going outside might help other members give you a more detailed answer.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 06:39 PM   #3
wldwilliam

My thought was the same as yours, that it's probably not a good idea...possibly causing damage to either or both components up to causing a fire. I just thought I'd check with people who know a heck of a lot more than I about this stuff.

I don't get around so well so not having to venture out to plug/unplug in order to run off either system would have been a benefit.

I wish they'd put 12v TVs in these things and a heck of a lot more 12v outlets instead of all the 110 outlets.

The primary use for inverter is for TV watching before bed for an hour or so and maybe some cell phone charging.
The fridge will be set to gas, micro breaker off, converter breaker off. I picked up a Samlex PST-600 for that job which should be plenty.

I'm running two group 24 12v batts currently with a 90 watt solar panel out during the day. The Honda 3000 usually runs for a few hours during the day to charge the golf cart with the trailer hooked up at the same time so the batts aren't taxed a whole lot overnight.

Thanks for reading,

Bill McCall
2016 Cougar 29RKS
2006 Desert Fox 17VS
2005 F350 Powerstroke
1994 Jeep YJ
Old 09-22-2015, 07:03 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

will hooking up Inverter and Generator thru y-cable to shore plug cause damage?

There are 12V televisions that have LCD display in the 32" diagonal size. Can't remember the brand off hand but they were standard for "Sun Seeker" class C motor homes. Very nice picture as I remember, so that may be one option.

Since all you want to do is operate a TV for an hour or so before bed, maybe just install the inverter near the batteries, install a remote switch and run a dedicated 110 line next to the AC plug at the tv. There a few options for the wiring.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 09-23-2015, 10:09 AM   #5
bobbecky

http://www.jensenrvdirect.com/products/lcd-tvs.html

I upgraded our original 12 volt Jensen in the bedroom to a larger one. Got tired of having to use binoculars to watch it from bed. The Jensen products are designed for RV's, so they can handle the rougher environment these rigs are exposed to.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 11:05 AM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

Jensen was what I was trying to remember, thanks for posting that.

Old 09-23-2015, 01:48 PM   #7
chartrand

I would install a separate outlet in the trailer for the inverter.

2014 Keystone Bullet Premier 22RBPR
2017 Chevy Colorado (Baby Duramax)
Propride P3 Hitch
chartrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 05:48 PM   #8
shiggs68

Back feeding either device may or may not cause a problem. Why not use an auto-transfer switch to accomplish the same thing but without the back feeding.

TravelingRVDoctor -Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
shiggs68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 05:54 PM   #9
eddarde

I just yesterday ordered a go-power 30a auto transfer switch to do just what you want. (and I want.) When the shore power or that plug, plugged into generator stops the switch will automatically switch to inverter. you need to flip the breaker on the converter or it will try to charge the battery. Iam going to rewire mine so the converter only runs on the shore power/generator.
eddarde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 10:35 PM   #10
wldwilliam

With three mentions of Transfer Switch, I consulted Doctor Google and darn, if it doesn't appear to be exactly what I need. I will research some more but that looks like a good option.

I still want to add some additional 12v functionality to the coach but I think the inverter will be a useful tool.

Thanks you guys...

Bill McCall
2016 Cougar 29RKS
2006 Desert Fox 17VS
2005 F350 Powerstroke
1994 Jeep YJ
Old 09-24-2015, 03:40 AM   #11
jsmith948

The following is a quote from a post by JohnnyFry:

You can accomplish an automatic switchover by using a double pole double throw (DPDT) relay with a 120 volt coil and contacts rated for the AC circuit breaker.

The load is connected to the common contacts, the inverter to the Normally closed contacts and the AC line from the breaker to the Normally open contacts. The coil is connected to the incoming AC line.

In operation: When the trailer is connected to shore power the relay energizes and allows power to flow normally from the circuit breaker panel to the load.

When on battery, the relay is in the unenergized position allowing power from the inverter to flow to the load.

This type of set up avoids the possibility of mis connection of the inverter across the energized line and functions automatically.

Suitable relays with 20 amp contacts are available from companies such as Potter & Brumfield and are distributed through major electronic suppliers such as Newark electronics. The relay can be mounted in a small metal circuit box.

John

We installed this DPDT switch for the circuit that powers the t.v. Works very well.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 08:45 AM   #12
Sherwood

Here is why you do NOT mix generator power with utility power without the use of a fail safe like a transfer switch of some kind or other means. It only takes one time to forget.

http://www.electricgeneratorsdirect....Generator.html

Eric & Kim Sherwood
2011 Cougar 31SQB Travel Trailer, EZ-Flex
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab 6.0L
Reese Straight Line Trunnion Bar w/Dual Cam Anti-Sway
Sherwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 06:36 PM   #13
wldwilliam

Thank you for the reply. Transfer Switch it is or manual disconnect/connect...no simultaneous connection.

Thank you again -

Bill McCall
2016 Cougar 29RKS
2006 Desert Fox 17VS
2005 F350 Powerstroke
1994 Jeep YJ
Old 10-26-2015, 06:32 AM   #14
Larry1013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
Here is why you do NOT mix generator power with utility power without the use of a fail safe like a transfer switch of some kind or other means. It only takes one time to forget.
Years ago, we lost house power during a storm. So, I hard wired the generator to the house so we could have a few convinces such as blower fan on gas heating, fridge and the coffee pot in the morning. Needless to say, the power came back on in 3 days and the generator was hooked up, but not running and it took the hit on the rectifier. The repair was easy and simple but could have destroyed the generator as in that link.

Lesson learned, either make sure the two power sources or physically isolated or you have some type of transfer switch.

2015 F350 Ultra Lariat CrewCab Long Bed 6.7L
2005 Keystone Outback Sydney 30FRKS
Larry1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 12:05 PM   #15
1995Suburban

Being a lineman, if you are backfeeding from your generator into the system, you can kill us while we are trying to restore power to your homes.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk
1995Suburban is offline   Reply With Quote