Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-04-2014, 01:02 PM   #41
CoHideout

Continuing story on the Atwood Fridge

We were told that the fridge was working fine. They couldn't get it to quit. After DH told them to plug it in and leave it all weekend, they called and said that it quit working. They are going to replace the fridge, but Atwood is asking them to take all sorts of readings on it before they pull it out and before they will send a new one. Tomorrow will be two weeks at the dealership. (Sigh).
CoHideout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 06:50 PM   #42
trikerbob

Follow up on our Atwood.

As I stated in previous posts, I took the thermistor off the fins and clipped in on the top rack. Worked almost too well. I re-clipped it back to the fins, BUT, I put a small piece of plastic insulator between the fin and the thermistor, and that did the trick. Setting 3 was just a leetle bit too warm, but 4 hit it just about right. Now when summer gets here and the thermometer hits 100 again, we'll see what happens. I put a more accurate thermometer (wired, not wireless) in the fridge, and that made a big difference, too. We'll be heading out again in July, so that will be the next big test. Good luck to you all, and travel safe.

Robert
trikerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 05:15 PM   #43
Trey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysquirrel View Post
Went out and plugged in my 19FBPR to go on a trip tomorrow and went to start the fridge. Instead of going on automatic and AC it came up with a check light and a flashing gas light. The mode button does not do anything when I push it so I cannot get it to go to AC.
This happened once before but finally went to AC. Got a feeling I am SOL and it is something wrong with the board behind the controls and even if it does go on I will take it to the dealer when I come back.
In the meantime does anyone have any idea of what I might do. I have unplugged the fridge for a minute to see if it will recycle have also turned it on and off a number of times to purge any air in the gas line in case that is the problem.

I have the same thing happening to mine have you had any problems after they changed the power board.
Trey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 01:13 PM   #44
campertime

How long does it take these new helium fridges to cool on LP? The old Jayco took about three hours but this new fridge in our Passport has been on for three hours and doesn't feel cold at all.
Old 07-03-2014, 03:37 PM   #45
campertime

OK freezer is COLD, fridge is cool. Been about 5 hours now.
Old 07-20-2014, 01:39 PM   #46
Rudeswoman

2104 Keystone Hideout Refrigerator trouble

Hello, I have a 214 Keystone Hideout with a Atwood Helium fridge. We camped for the first time this weekend. It took an extremely long time to cool down. Never seemed like the fridge got appropriatly cool. It was cool, but not cold. Has anyone had any troubles with theirs? We let it cool down over night before we put food in it, roughly 22 hrs. Maybe in expecting it to be as cold as my house fridge? Asking too much maybe?
Rudeswoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 01:41 PM   #47
Rudeswoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by campertime View Post
OK freezer is COLD, fridge is cool. Been about 5 hours now.
Did you ever get your fridge to cool down to the correct temperature?? How long did it take?? I have a 2014 Hideout and having same problems.
Old 07-20-2014, 01:46 PM   #48
chuckster57
Site Team

Are you adjusting the temp to the coldest setting? IIRC all the blue bars lit is the coldest.

If you look inside the refer, there should be a plastic bulb looking thing attached to the cooling fins. Moving it up should make it colder.

RV refers are absorption refers, meaning the fins in the fridge "absorb" the heat. Back in '08 I discovered they make fans for the inside of the fridge. Runs on 2 D cell batteries and WOW what a difference.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 03:35 PM   #49
campertime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudeswoman View Post
Did you ever get your fridge to cool down to the correct temperature?? How long did it take?? I have a 2014 Hideout and having same problems.
Propane on, Set fridge to auto, All blue bars lit up, Trailer level?

Yes ours finally got cold. took about 6 hours
Old 07-21-2014, 09:06 PM   #50
Rudeswoman

Ok, update!! I moved the "cooling bulb" up on the fins higher and that made all the difference!! Now the fins are iced over, not dripping with condensation & the door compartments are even cold! I was worried we had a defective fridge, but thanks to all of you we are ready to get out "Glamping" on!!!! Thank you all for your speedy & amazing advice!!!
Old 08-17-2014, 12:16 PM   #51
CoHideout

An update to our fridge saga

Atwood agreed to replace the fridge after the dealership took a bunch of readings. We got the TT back and first trip out the fridge didn't work. Dealership gave me the Atwood customer service number when I called in from the CG. As I talked to one of the techs, the fridge came back on. Prior to that we couldn't get anything to work including the troubleshooting mode. Tech said it sounded like loose wires. We took it back to the dealership and they tightened everything, checked all connections...and then it worked like a champ and has continued to work like a champ. We plug it in 2 days before we leave on a camping trip, then load the fridge before we leave with COLD food, turn it off before we head out and back on when we get there. It has worked without a hitch ever since, and it has worked WELL.
CoHideout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 10:19 AM   #52
ncinthenext3

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikerbob View Post
Guys, I'm watching your thread very closely as I might have a suspect Atwood, also. Now mine hasn't done what yours is doing, but I don't think mine is cooling like it should. I'll give it this, it's hotter than, well, you know, here, with 100+ days, but it still seems a little lacking. I'm waiting for Ford's refrigeration video on the Atwood that should be coming out soon. He's been doing some testing at his shop comparing the Atwoods to Dometic and Norcold. We'll see what happens, but I'm keeping an eye on y'alls thread.

Take care, travel safe.

Robert
I too am keeping a close eye. I don't think the refrigerator itself is where I like it, even on its highest cool setting. The freezer does excellent, so maybe there is a way to balance this? I have no idea. Nice 7cu ft size in my Premier 31BHPR but curious if this is an issue.

EDIT: Will try that 'bulb on the fins' trick. This is something all of the dealers should be doing when they prep units.
ncinthenext3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 07:05 PM   #53
Cindyv17

Atwood refrigerator with all the lights on!!

Hello all,

We have an Atwood refrigerator in our fairly new keystone trailer. This is only the third time we are using it.

The issue is: we turn it on, and all the lights stay on; check, auto, gas and ac

The refrigerator is not cooling.. We have tried everything possible, we even had other fellow rv-ers try and identify the issue and no one seems to figure it out.

We tried to make it run on LP only, no luck!

DC - no

AC - no

Gas tanks are full, battery is fully charged...

Any advice? Or experience with issues like this!?

Thanks in advance.
Cindyv17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 07:19 PM   #54
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum!

Sorry to hear your having issues with the refer. About the only thing I would suggest is to pull the fuse and throw the breaker so ALL power is removed. Leave it off for a few minutes and then try again. If it still fails, then it probably needs to be taken in for further tests. It could be the control board and any decent RV service center should have the tester.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 04-24-2015, 09:15 AM   #55
Carmen D

Second Trip out This Year 2015

Our second trip out this year and we pull the Pass Port to the house to plug in and the refrigerator freezer is not agreeing with the AC. As soon as I touch the power the "check" light comes on and stays on and the "gas" starts blinking (and chirping). This sounds like a problem with Atwood and Keystone and they aren't listening. We are suppose to leave on Monday but if that Atwood doesn't start working, the dealer ship is going to have it and deal with warranty work.
What to do next? I have read this whole thread and nothing has worked for us but irritate my DH.

Thanks for any advise,
Carmen
Texas Hill Country
Carmen D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 11:35 AM   #56
chuckster57
Site Team

Is the refer set to "automatic" ? If not then it's going to look for LP and if there isn't any pressure in the line, you'll get the check light.

Old 04-24-2015, 03:36 PM   #57
wolfee240

We have a attwood fridge in our Passport. We had issues with it not cooling all the time. It would work here and there. After weeks of beating my head on the wall i found out is that the camper had to be perfectly level for the fridge to work correctly. It the bubble is off center by a little bit on a 4' level the fridge would not stay cold. If the bubble is perfectly center the fridge works great. I just make sure the camper is perfectly level and i don't have a problem. I hope that helps with your problem
wolfee240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 05:52 AM   #58
Charby

I agree with the level trick. I also manually turn frig off between cycles to AC and Gas as it doesn't like the auto switching for some reason. I got stuck once after it did not switch from AC to Gas when unplugged.
Old 05-05-2015, 03:43 PM   #59
B-O-B'03

We have the Atwood in our 22RBPR and other than something shifting in the freezer and popping the door open, we did not have one problem with it on our first voyage of 1800 miles.

I had it running in the driveway, for a couple of weeks, prior to leaving and had it switching from gas to electric and back, both shore power and on my Champion generator.

On the trip it switched flawlessly as well, with no manual intervention from me.

I was kind of worried, after reading this thread, but it worked great

-Brian
Old 05-06-2015, 11:10 AM   #60
HappyCamperMN

For those that have issues with or are suggesting making sure the fridge is completely level. I have a question...

Does the power source (AC vs. propane) have any relation to how level the fridge needs to be?

The reason I ask is that in this thread I was having intermittent issues running our fridge on AC, but it runs just fine on gas. Our driveway has enough slope that I cannot get the trailer even reasonably level front to back when parked there. Some times it will run on AC in our driveway and sometimes not. Starting to feel like being out-of-level is the cause. Dealer tested things when it was in for warranty service last fall and couldn't find any issues.

Seems to me like an out of level issue would affect BOTH modes equally, but if there was any difference at all it would affect gas operation more than AC operation.?.?

Looking for comments or sage advice.

https://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w...psyh8hlsyo.jpg
HappyCamperMN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
greysquirrel