Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-17-2013, 02:20 PM   #1
Barryman

Bike Rack on bumper?

We have a Keystone Springdale 267BHS and was wondering if a bike rack can go on the back bumper? I purchased from CW the bumper adapater 4". Should i just move the spare tire over to the left to offset the balance?
Barryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 02:30 PM   #2
labs4life

Most of these TT bumpers have a 250lb capacity. That is not much and coupled with the bouncing around could spell disaster without reinforcement. You also need to be aware of modifying the frame and the warranty aspect. I would get with your dealer and ask these questions. If hey are ok, then go for the attachment or the mod, but they can be the ones that get past mod issues with Keystone should another problem arise.
labs4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 02:56 PM   #3
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barryman View Post
We have a Keystone Springdale 267BHS and was wondering if a bike rack can go on the back bumper? I purchased from CW the bumper adapater 4". Should i just move the spare tire over to the left to offset the balance?
Search on bike or bumper

There are dozens of posts all about the same topic. We've answered this question in great detail in these posts.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 03:27 PM   #4
Festus2
Site Team

If you use our forum search feature and type in bike rack, you will find that there are 5 pages of threads for you to browse through. The answer to your question is found here.
Old 05-17-2013, 05:24 PM   #5
Jables

My 267srt already had a receiver welded to the bumper in the middle. The tire sits to the right of it. The SRT is essentially the bhs with an 'off road' package installed.
Jables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 06:33 AM   #6
warsw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barryman View Post
Should i just move the spare tire over to the left to offset the balance?
We have done this exact thing. We have hauled our bikes for over 6000 miles with no adverse affects what so ever. I see no problems in hauling something as lite as a few bikes on a rack connected to the rear bumper.
Old 05-20-2013, 02:29 PM   #7
Barryman

thanks all. I found out how to do the search thing and read many a' reviews on this topic. It seems that it is not advisable. Better safe than sorry. Going to find another route.
Barryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 02:30 PM   #8
rjsurfer

I just unbolted the spare tire holder and ditched it, I keep the spare in front of the hitch.

This way there isn't any excess weight on the bumper after I installed a 2 bike bumper rack.

Ron W.
rjsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:52 PM   #9
trackmanbfa

Fed full

Why not just answer the request instead of referring people to other posts? Is that because you do not have the time or you do not know the answer? THESE PEOPLE ARE ASKING FOR HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"boun cey:
trackmanbfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:16 PM   #10
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackmanbfa View Post
Why not just answer the request instead of referring people to other posts? Is that because you do not have the time or you do not know the answer? THESE PEOPLE ARE ASKING FOR HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"boun cey:
Members who ask a question that has been asked many, many times before are often requested to use the forum's search function. In the majority of cases, the answers to the member's question can be found by browsing these posts. It may take some time to get used to using the search feature, but once a person becomes familiar with it, it is a valuable tool. As part of Steve's signature shows, the search function and Google are your friend.

Granted, it may take the person some additional time and effort but when the answers to the question have already been answered a number of times, it doesn't seem to make much sense to answer them again and again.

It's not a matter of members not having enough time or can't be bothered to answer. They may have answered this same question a number of times with different members. If the answers are already posted, what is wrong with asking that person to spend some time and effort looking for them?

If, after a person has tried to find the answers using the search feature and cannot, then all he/she has to do is bring that to our attention and someone will help.

Yes, they are asking for help and if no one knows the answer, we try to provide them with some resources or references where they might find the answer.

We are not trying to put them off or are too lazy and can't be bothered to answer- we are suggesting that they too put some time and effort into looking for answers that are easily obtainable. It would seem that Barryman did exactly that, found what he was looking for, thanked everyone and did not appear miffed that it was suggested he use the search function. He appeared to be quite ok with it.

SteveC7010 has put a tremendous amount of time and effort into answering members' questions. His answers are almost always thorough and easily understood. He is very willing to share his knowledge with others and to suggest otherwise is not only untrue but also unfair.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:33 PM   #11
SteveC7010

Quote:
Here's the deal...

We've answered and discussed this bumper issue (and many others) in great detail in several threads and not so very long ago. All of the facts and information are already here for the instant reading. No need to ask the question, just use the search function and read all the good information. No time delay, instant answers, even at zero dawn thirty..

Let me ask you a question back. How many times do you think we should answer the same exact question? What's reasonable? Twice, ten times, 20 times?

I take a lot of time out of my day nearly every day to spend time in this forum helping people. So do quite a few others. My answers are detailed and usually in great depth. I don't argue with people and I try to treat everyone respectfully.

In return, I have this silly expectation that folks will look around a bit and get the lay of the land before asking a question or starting a new thread. I think it is unfair to those of us who offer this help to start a new thread on the exact same topic that is already being currently discussed in another thread. I don't think it's too much to ask that folks use the search function and see if their issue has already been discussed. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect that folks at least look at the other current discussions first before asking a question.

On many, many forums across the internet, it is considered impolite or even down right rude to not use the search function before asking a question. On some forums, it will get you banned if you do it more than once. I don't want this forum to ever end up like that. This is too friendly a group to play that game.

So I seek a middle ground. When I know that a topic has been well and truly discussed and answered, I try to steer the user to the search function. But many times, it's something new or different and I jump right in with both feet to help. You should have seen enough of my posts to know that by now. Several other senior users are the same way.

Old 05-20-2013, 08:39 PM   #12
theeyres

It's a tough question because many, many people put a bike rack on the bumper and are totally happy and never have a problem. Our next door neighbor in Tucson had a Montana, put a bike rack on the bumper and lost the whole thing going down the road... So guess it is your choice. To be safe is there a way you can weld an extension onto the receiver, bolted to the bumper, and connected to some part of the frame? Then you know you will be safe.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:43 PM   #13
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by theeyres View Post
It's a tough question because many, many people put a bike rack on the bumper and are totally happy and never have a problem. Our next door neighbor in Tucson had a Montana, put a bike rack on the bumper and lost the whole thing going down the road... So guess it is your choice. To be safe is there a way you can weld an extension onto the receiver, bolted to the bumper, and connected to some part of the frame? Then you know you will be safe.
Yes, there are several ways to do that. Some involve strengthening the bumper and mounts while others bypass the bumper and connect directly to the trailer's frame. Both methods are covered in great detail with pics in previous threads. Please use the search function if you want to know more. Best keywords might be bumper and frame at the same time. bike and spare tire too.

Old 05-21-2013, 06:47 AM   #14
SteveC7010

Quote:
Let me draw an analogy that might put this in a better light for the new folks and for those that think we are being lazy or pressed for time....

When you go into a library, you're expected to use the card catalog or computer to look up a book or a topic or an author. If you feel you're "special" and just go to the desk and ask, usually the nice person there will politely steer you right back to the card catalog or computer. If your book is listed but not on the shelf, it is then very reasonable to go to the desk and ask if perhaps the book has been returned and is just waiting to be returned to the shelf. It is not reasonable to go to the desk and demand that the person there look up the book for you because you don't want to do that for yourself. It is also very unreasonable for you to expect the desk person to go look for your book if you have not first been down that aisle and looked for the book yourself. If you have a problem that is outside of this basic, common sense use of the library, the desk folks will bend over backwards to help you.

Festus, John, Hank, and others (including me) are all volunteer desk persons at this Keystone library. None of us get paid for our efforts. I do not think it at all unreasonable for us to expect folks to first look around and see what's already being discussed at the moment. I also think it is totally reasonable to ask people to first use the card catalog (search function) before asking for help on a specific topic.

Old 05-23-2013, 05:57 PM   #15
bfurry78

I have done lots of research on this forum about this very topic and the answer for me was to install a front hitch on my truck. I have only traveled about 1000 miles with this set up but it has been no issues. I put three mountain bikes on this setup an just wanted the piece of mind that when I get to my destination everything I started with ends up in the same place
2014 Ford F250 6.7 Powerstroke Turbo Diesel
**Previous**
2004 Silverado 2500HD 6.6 Duramax Turbo Diesel
bfurry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:30 PM   #16
warsw

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC7010 View Post
Here's the deal...

We've answered and discussed this bumper issue (and many others) in great detail in several threads and not so very long ago. All of the facts and information are already here for the instant reading. No need to ask the question, just use the search function and read all the good information. No time delay, instant answers, even at zero dawn thirty..

Let me ask you a question back. How many times do you think we should answer the same exact question? What's reasonable? Twice, ten times, 20 times?

I take a lot of time out of my day nearly every day to spend time in this forum helping people. So do quite a few others. My answers are detailed and usually in great depth. I don't argue with people and I try to treat everyone respectfully.

In return, I have this silly expectation that folks will look around a bit and get the lay of the land before asking a question or starting a new thread. I think it is unfair to those of us who offer this help to start a new thread on the exact same topic that is already being currently discussed in another thread. I don't think it's too much to ask that folks use the search function and see if their issue has already been discussed. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect that folks at least look at the other current discussions first before asking a question.

On many, many forums across the internet, it is considered impolite or even down right rude to not use the search function before asking a question. On some forums, it will get you banned if you do it more than once. I don't want this forum to ever end up like that. This is too friendly a group to play that game.

So I seek a middle ground. When I know that a topic has been well and truly discussed and answered, I try to steer the user to the search function. But many times, it's something new or different and I jump right in with both feet to help. You should have seen enough of my posts to know that by now. Several other senior users are the same way.
My thoughts are that there are very few topics that haven't already been discussed on the forum at one time or another and if all everyone did was to go to the search and look up old info there would be no reason to even have the forum. Part of the reason for the forum is to help each other out but the main reason I come here is to share ideas and to have fun.

The other reason I don't like always using the search is that there are always new members with new ideas and updated info. If all we do is use the search all we will ever get is old info and there is never a chance for the new info or new ideas to be brought forward. I do think that there might be some topics that the search might be helpful but not all.

I would think that if you have nothing new to add to a topic and feel that you have already given all the info you have to offer then just don't go there. Just skip it and let other that think they might have something to offer go there instead.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:51 PM   #17
jergeod

Quote:
Originally Posted by warsw View Post
My thoughts are that there are very few topics that haven't already been discussed on the forum at one time or another and if all everyone did was to go to the search and look up old info there would be no reason to even have the forum. Part of the reason for the forum is to help each other out but the main reason I come here is to share ideas and to have fun.

The other reason I don't like always using the search is that there are always new members with new ideas and updated info. If all we do is use the search all we will ever get is old info and there is never a chance for the new info or new ideas to be brought forward. I do think that there might be some topics that the search might be helpful but not all.

I would think that if you have nothing new to add to a topic and feel that you have already given all the info you have to offer then just don't go there. Just skip it and let other that think they might have something to offer go there instead.
Bravo good answer
Old 05-23-2013, 09:15 PM   #18
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by warsw View Post

warsw &jergeod -

Steve is not suggesting that members refrain from asking questions and instead only use the search function to find answers to their questions. He is not asking people to stop exchanging ideas on various topics or to take a less active part on the forum. No one, including Steve, wants all posting to come to a halt and have everyone start using only the forum's search feature. If you think that is what we are suggesting, then you have missed the point.

There is a lot of valuable information about various topics and issues that can be found in past threads. Much of that information is as current and relevant now as it was "back when". It doesn't become outdated over time. Adding excessive weight to a unreinforced bumper, for example, isn't a smart thing to do. It wasn't a good idea last year and it isn't a good idea this year. So if a person wants to know today if he should add a bike rack to his bumper, what he will be told now is essentially the same as what he would have been told 6 months ago.
What new information can we possibly tell him? What is the problem with having someone refer him to previous threads and posts which contain all sorts of discussions about bike racks on bumpers?

If you want to jump in and share your ideas with him or answer his question, you are free to do that. If someone else suggests that he read the pages of discussions that have taken place previously about this very same topic by using the search function, that is perfectly acceptable as well. The answer to his question has been answered before - many times. All we are suggesting is that the poster take some time and effort, browse through the threads/posts and get the answer that way. If you want to save the poster doing some reading on his own, then give him the answer.

If a new member posts a question about a topic that has been asked dozens of times earlier and there is an abundance of threads with answers, then I will continue to suggest that he use the forum's search feature. Other members are free to join in and contribute answers but I, for one, "won't be skipping it". However, if you want to participate and provide suggestions, then I would encourage you to do that. No one is curtailing discussion or funneling members' ideas to the search function.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:32 PM   #19
Mighty Ming

Quote:
Seriously? I had a mouthful to respond .. But instead ill give kudos to the MODERATORS for their responses which were more than diplomatic. Thanks for all the hard work in keeping OUR forum running n streamlined. 👍

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Go Padres!!
Mighty Ming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 05:14 AM   #20
jsmith948

[QUOTE=Mighty Ming;79204]Seriously? I had a mouthful to respond .. But instead ill give kudos to the MODERATORS for their responses which were more than diplomatic. Thanks for all the hard work in keeping OUR forum running n streamlined. ��

X2! I think our moderators and senior members do a great job keeping our discussions on track and friendly. I have visited some of the other forums and I hope that OUR forum never becomes a contentious and discourteous 'free-for-all' where there are lots of arguments but no discussion - there IS a difference! I'm off my soapbox and I feel better!

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote