Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 03-31-2013, 06:31 PM   #1
snwjoy1

Cougar 5th wheel -Drain qstns

hello all,

Well first I would like to say that my husband & I are new novelist ..and with that saying "sighs" we need to get educated quickly.

We have notice that the shower is draining very slowly our 5th wheeler is 1 month old so I husband checked all the levels and have notice that the gray tank is full...wow! really haven't gone anywhere yet! lol now I hope that Y'All don't mind helping out the novelist here? we are wondering if its possible just to drain the gray tank in the area that we have the 5th wheeler parked, or does this mean that we've got to also drain the black tank we think maybe they are connected?
snwjoy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:15 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

I am not sure what model of Cougar you have but the majority of models have 3 tanks - 2 gray tanks and 1 black tank. The 2 gray tanks are devoted to the kitchen galley and to the bathroom sink and shower. In our Cougar, the 2 gray tanks are separate and each has their own pull valve to empty the tank. In some models and years, gray tanks may be tied into one another in some way.

The black tank is separate from the rest and not connected in any way and will have its own dedicated pull handle.

If you look under your RV on the driver's side, you should have 3 drain pulls, one for each tank. If you find the gray tank pull that is closest to your shower and bedroom sink, that would be the one that could be full. The valve may or may not be labeled.

You should also be aware that the tank readings that you see on the monitor are not all that accurate. You may find that a tank reads "Full" when it is not or reads Empty when it isn't empty. The readings on the black tank will often be "out of whack".
Old 04-01-2013, 11:07 AM   #3
SkiSmuggs

Look for hints on cleaning or keeping clean the waste tanks in this forum. Things like using fabric softener to keep debris from sticking to tanks and sensors. If your gray water will run into the grass and it is your property, it should be okay to dump it there. The black tank - NEVER! It should always be done at your campsite or campground.
Lots of good threads here on check lists and procedures. One of the most important will be the hook up and disconnect of your trailer to your truck. Critical!
And welcome!
Old 04-01-2013, 11:38 AM   #4
MarkS

Another thing to note, showering fills the grey tank quickly. When you are boondocking, you can control it a little by being quick and turning off the water while soaping up.

Mark S.
2014 Cougar 318SAB
2015 Silverado 3500HD 6.6L Diesel 4WD CC SB
18K Pullright Hitch
MarkS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:59 PM   #5
fla-gypsy

One of the things most people overlook is gray tank size. We have a single 38 gal gray tank and even when conserving we (2 of us) fill it in 2 days. Gray tank size or lack of it has always kept me away from the Cougar line.