Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 05-30-2013, 10:30 AM   #1
wjbrady

might have too much tt for our Suburban

Our tv is a 2005 Chevy Suburban 1500 4wd LTZ. Rated to tow a trailer at 7200 pounds max. Our tt is a 2011 Hideout 27bwe. Dry weight 4860 tongue weight 600. We mainly plan on pulling the trailer to parks with full hookups. So at no time in the near future do we plan on pulling with full fresh water tanks. We have a family of six that, when we have the Suburban packed with all of our gear and people, total weight of vehicle, occupants and gear equals 6500 pounds. That weight includes all camping gear and food. Now that we have a travel trailer, much of that weight will be redistributed back into the trailer. I am concerned about if we ever want to pull this trailer with the Suburban over the passes here in Oregon. Have looked at other posts and it seems that people are saying that the 1500 Suburban will be maxed out and my transmission might go on me. Would like anyone's advice who has been towing with a half ton Suburban what their experiences are. Forgot to add that I am using an Equalizer weight distribution hitch that has a thosand pound tongue ten thousand pound trailer rating.
wjbrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:01 PM   #2
EricLynnAllison

We pulled a 4300# trailer from Ohio to Yellowstone to Grand Canyon with a1500 03 Suburban. Took Mountains at 45mph going up and 50mph going down. Only 3 of us though. Had the trailer 10 yrs. Did rebuild the tranny at 185000 mi.
Previous 1973 Coleman Popup
EricLynnAllison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 01:38 PM   #3
hankpage
Site Team

I would be more concerned with rear axle and tire weight limits. With six passengers I will be willing to bet that you are over on payload. What is the GVWR on your door sticker compared to the 6500 scale weight. I know you will be moving some to trailer but the trailers tongue weight + propane + your hitch will more than likely add more than you move. JM2¢, Hank .......... might have to leave the kids home
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 04:52 PM   #4
wjbrady

Just went out and re-checked my weight on the door stickers. Gross Vehicle Weight Rating is 7200 pounds, Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating is 13,000 pounds. The previous posted weight I gave for the Suburban with all passengers and gear did also include the weight of the equalizer hitch head. Upon checking my manual for the Suburban it states that the trailer tongue weight for my 1500 series with a weight distribution hitch should not exceed 1000 pounds. Also today is the first time that I've fully installed the equalizer hitch to the Suburban and the travel trailer. I took before and after measurements on the suburban of the wheel well height from the ground, it really surprised me that after loading the travel trailer without having the weight distribution bars in place yet that the weight of the tt only lowered the back end of the Suburban one inch and raised the front end 3/4 of an inch. After hooking up the weight distribution bars and everythign was in alignment it brought the back end to within a quarter inch of uncoupled height. And it brought the front end to also 1/4" of uncoupled height. I'd really expected that the weight of this trailer would have sagged the Suburban quite a bit but I just didn't see it.
wjbrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:18 AM   #5
ken in md

Curious how the Suburban did?

Would love to know how the 1500 suburban actually did with that much trailer. We are thinking of picking up a Passport 2920 which weighs about 5500 empty...

We are also looking at a Suburban to tow it with (not because its the best tow vehicle out there, but because best all around vehicle for us). I guess I always thought Suburbans were master tow vehicles, but this 1500 we're looking at has the 5.3 and a 3.73...and it is rated to tow only 7k (no more than our current Envoy XL).

Maybe I should look for a 2500...or an Expedition LOL. Welcome any advice...
ken in md is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:17 PM   #6
kancop

Getting ready to pull a Passport rated 5515 UVW with a 05 Suburban 1500. Have similar concerns, but figured that I would pull the vehicle in a more conservative approach. Question is, does the weight alone hurt the tow, or does the weight and speed affect it more. Seems to me that speed at which you pull could really affect the tranny. Any thoughts?

2005 Excursion V-10 3.73 Helliwig ASB, Ride Rite AB
2008 Passport Lite 300BH
kancop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 01:35 PM   #7
randy69

Been there. And did that, for 7 years I pulled a 21' fleetwood prowler toybox fully loaded water gas atvs,dirt bikes, and all the other stuff. With my brand new 1999 suburban. After couple of years pulling up steep grades became slower transmission was screaming. 7 years later trans now slipping traded in on f350 super cab and bought a new tt
If you pull with this make sure you buy 10 ply tires and good rear adjustable shocks. This will prevent ( white knuckles)
With standard tires you will notice big trucks passing you will suck you towards them then releasing you as they go by.

2010 361lev
f350 larriet 4x4
randy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:10 PM   #8
Festus2
Site Team

wjbrady, Doug (aka kancop) & ken in md -
Since all of you have pretty much the same tow vehicle and 2 of you have not yet purchased a TT, what I would suggest is :
1) when you have both your TV and your TT, load them up as if you were going camping and take it to the nearest weigh station and get them weighed. The numbers that you obtain at the weigh station will take almost all of guess work and doubts about whether or not your Suburban is up to the task of safely pulling your TT.

Once you have the numbers, figure out what your limits are or whether or not you are already over payload. If you don't know how to work the numbers, come back to us and we will help you make some sense of them and we will better able to provide you with more accurate advice.

Don't take this the wrong way but towing conservatively, towing to campsites that are nearby or towing over stretches of flat territory won't change the fact that you may still be overloaded. Travelling slowly isn't going to change this either. If, however, you are overloaded, then travelling slowly is a good idea but still doesn't make it safe for you and for others.

The Suburban will tow all 3 of the TT's that you mentioned. It will get them up to and maintain the speed limit for you over flat stretches of highway. Almost all small trucks and SUV's will do pretty much the same thing but that is about all that they can do. Take your units to a weigh station and most of the puzzle will be solved.

If you are going to be hauling your TT up and down mountains from time to time and have concerns about your transmission's ability to deal with that, then it's time to start looking for a new tow vehicle. I can't see anyone heading out on a vacation and having to worry about whether or not your transmission will hold out. It doesn't seem like much of a holiday.

Keep an open mind about the safe pairing of your tow vehicle with your TT and be prepared to look at other options - options that will provide you and your family with the safest and most enjoyable outings.
Old 06-26-2013, 07:49 AM   #9
E597283

I have a passport 2910bh thats is rated 5450lbs dry and 1700 capacity with a 2007 Yukon XL Denali. I have had not issues pulling local or long distance. The Yukon is rated for 7900lbs towing.

2011 Keystone Passport 2910BH Ltd. Edition

2007 Yukon XL Denali, 6.2 liter
E597283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 12:28 AM   #10
suza

We pulled a 23' Nash with our Ford Expedtion (V-8, 2WD), equipped with a towing package including self-adjusting gas shocks. It was maxed out, but towed fine. I agree, you might have transmission problems, as well as lack of power, going over Oregon passes. I'd also be concerned about overheating the engine if your Suburban isn't factory equipped for towing.

We just purchased an F350 Diesel 4WD longbed crew cab TV. No doubt about whether it will tow our Cougar 279RKS 5th-wheel The diesel engine makes a world of difference and i can't believe how quiet the new Ford Powerstroke is. No one who hears it running can believe it is a diesel.
Bridge, OR
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2014 Cougar 279RKS
2013 F-350 Super Duty Powerstroke 4WD LB CC

https://i1365.photobucket.com/albums/...ps78607eca.jpg
suza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 03:26 PM   #11
Patrickj65

Tow Vehicle

I have the passport 2910BH the same as E597283 but I have pulled mine with both a Tahoe and a now a 1/2 Ton Surburban with the 5.3 and towing package. I use a WD hitch and a sway controller and have never had an issue.

Patrick
Patrickj65 is offline   Reply With Quote