Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 06-18-2013, 07:47 PM   #1
muphoff

no hot water

I have cold water but no hot.
muphoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:56 AM   #2
TAZ23

More info is needed. There could be several reasons why you dont have hot water. What year and model trailer is it? Is the trailer brand new or used? Have you had hot water in the past, or is this the first time using it? Have you checked the water heater by-pass? Lots of folks on here will be willing to help once we know more about your set up.
Oh, and to the forum
TAZ23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 02:48 AM   #3
crash

I agree we need more info Please.
2008 F350 chipped and bagged 6.4 power stroke crew cab 4x4.2013 384pk Raptor (Gravy Train) 2006 Fatboy w/18inch ape hangers,2006 883c sporty,Army wife Kim,Cocoa (The Boarder Collie) and Rebel (The English Bulldog) (THE RICH RAGE WAR,BUT ITS THE POOR THAT DIE)
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 04:34 AM   #4
GaryWT

Welcome and as others said, tell us your story so we can help, can be one of many things, just be sure not to turn on the electric part of the heater if there is no water in it.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:20 AM   #5
SAABDOCTOR

HI MORE INFO PLEASE! me being the wise guy here the hot water is the knob on the left!! ok you know i am kidding just had to brighten your day because a cold shower sucks!
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:20 PM   #6
FlyPatch

No hot Water

I have a 2010 Montana with the SW12DEL hot water heater. Its been working fine for several days...but now it doesn't work on gas or electric (or both). My tanks are full, on shore power (30amp) and nothing. It appears no gas is getting through...no way of telling if the heat element is coming on. Lights on the idiot board are lit.

any good suggestions?
FlyPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:31 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Flypatch,

First check the circuit breaker for the HWH. If it is on, turn it off, then back on. Sometimes the contacts may not make a good connection. If that doesn't help, check the fuse panel for a blown fuse.

Then turn on the gas HWH switch inside the coach. Do you hear the clicking when you turn on the gas ignitor? If you don't, the control board or the fuse for it are probaby not working properly. If you do hear clicking, open the outside door (BE CAREFUL YOU DON'T GET CAUGHT IN A FLASHBACK!!!) and check to see if the ignitor is sparking. Sometimes carbon builds up on the ignitor and it won't work properly. If it's sparking, you've probably got a gas flow issue. If it is NOT sparking, clean with a small wire brush and see if it starts to spark.

If you don't have any hot water on electric or on gas, press the "RESET" button under the two black rubber plugs on the outside of the water heater. There's only one reset button, but who knows which rubber plug yours is under. Push 'em both LOL

If you still don't get hot water, you may have a plugged, or malfunctioning "backflow valve" It's located INSIDE the coach, on the top outlet on the water heater. Sometimes calcium or rust will collect on the inner workings of that valve, cause it to stick open or closed and then you can get only cold water flow out of the system.

Good Luck.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 08:54 AM   #8
FlyPatch

Problem solved.

Thanks John for the response. However, my resolution took me a different direction.

I solved my hot water problem, with a little help from a friend.

My symptom was my hot water heater (model SW12DEL) wasn't getting gas. It was working fine yesterday...but not today. I consulted a friend and he told me a story about how he had a similar problem with his furnace...in the winter. We tested his method and BAM! Thus this resolution will also work if your furnace has same symptom. Follow along and in these easy steps you get back in hot water or get you out of the cold.

Symptom:
Propane tanks are on and filled, gas is getting to the stove and spark to unit. But no gas to hot water heater (or furnace).

Resolution:
1. Shut off gas valves to tank(s) if you have more than 1. In my case I have (2) 30 lb tanks with one regulator with a manual divert-er controlling both.
2. Disconnect the gas line to the tank(s), notice you may be able to hear the gas bled from the hose.
3. Ensure your regulator is on for the primary tank (or the tank that has gas and you want to draw from).
4. Reconnect both tanks.
5. Very slowly turn the gas back on, you should be able to hear the gas recharge the line.
6. Now hit the on/off switch to turn on your hot water or furnace.

What just happened?

Apparently (by my assessment) the gas regulators control the flow of gas from the tanks to devices...dah. The regulator internal valves sometimes will stick or malfunction. Hence...no gas flow to devices that require high-volume, i.e. furnace or hot water heater. Your stove doesn't require high-volume. By releasing the gas from the lines it also releases the internal valve pressure from the regulator. Hence resetting the regulator.

Before a mechanic tells you 'your regulator' is bad try these 5 easy steps.

Let me know if this worked for you and got you in or out of hot water!!

FlyPatch
FlyPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 11:07 AM   #9
hankpage
Site Team

Your method does work but it is not the regulator that is the problem. The new valves on your tanks are designed to shut themselves off if a high rate of flow occurs. (broken hose or fitting) Opening the tank valve too fast or even the auto switchover can trip this and simulates a leak. It is a safety feature.
Okay .... here's the problem .... Why didn't the electric work to heat the water???? When you say you have shore power (30 amp) does this mean your trailer does not use 50 amp or is 30 amp all that is available. If your trailer is wired for 50 amp your water heater may not be getting power when only 30 amp is available. Check the circuit breaker and the resets on the tank. If trying to run A/C and W/H on 30 amp at the same time you may have tripped a breaker or overheated a connection somewhere. JM2˘, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 11:12 AM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Flypatch,

Good information. That valve is a safety device located in the hose. It's called a high volume leak valve and is designed to stop a large "leak". Also, your tanks have a flow volume restrictor which will shut off gas flow if there is no hose (pigtail) connected. Each hose has this high volume leak valve, so one or both may function stopping the flow of propane if you open the valves too quickly or if you develop a leak. If neither the furnace or the HWH will operate, the valve is a good bet, but if one is working, then the valves have not closed to stop propane flow.

Thanks for the reminder to check tanks if the HWH isn't working.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote