Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-27-2013, 02:53 PM   #1
Sunbeamtiger

Cougar Xlite 28sgs 5th wheel shower pan

I recently purchased this 2013 new and have noticed the shower drain is mounted slightly higher than the pan itself. Has anyone else noticed this on their rig? If so, how did you resolve the problem? By the way, I'm not into having the dealer making repairs, I prefer quality workmanship.

Mike
Sunbeamtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 03:55 PM   #2
Bowti

Mike,

I also just purchased the 28SGS, but I haven't picked it up yet. Thanks for the heads up. I will check mine out before I pick it up.

Also, I wanted a ladder and the dealer said they will install one. I hope they can do this as I did not see it as an option.

Bill
Bowti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:44 PM   #3
Ron

You might want to check that they did not put the rubber gasket under the lip on the shower drain inside of the shower, you never know could have been a newbie that day on the production line.....
01 F350 7.3 PSD Crew Cab DRW 4X4 6 Speed/Chipped

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:46 AM   #4
Ayotte

This happened to our kitchen sink. Rubber gaskets on inside of sink rather than below. I just took them apart and used some silicone on the top and rubber gasket on bottom. Let set for a while. Problem solved.
Ayotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:04 PM   #5
Sunbeamtiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowti View Post
Mike,

I also just purchased the 28SGS, but I haven't picked it up yet. Thanks for the heads up. I will check mine out before I pick it up.

Also, I wanted a ladder and the dealer said they will install one. I hope they can do this as I did not see it as an option.

Bill
Hi Bill,
My description of drain was misleading, the drain "basket" is sitting correctly in the pain (rubber gasket is on the correct t side), it is the plastic pan itself that is the high point. The pan around the drain is higher than anywhere else, so you always have standing water around that area. I am guessing the foam padding under the pan is not tapered to the drain hole. Hope this makes sense.
Bill, make sure you check yours out before you leave the dealer. I am real interested on how your ladder comes out. I too want one but have been told that the Xlite model does not have the structural support for it. If you can, please post some pictures.
Mike
Old 03-28-2013, 12:06 PM   #6
Sunbeamtiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
You might want to check that they did not put the rubber gasket under the lip on the shower drain inside of the shower, you never know could have been a newbie that day on the production line.....
Hi Ron,
I gave a bad description of the problem, the drain basket is installed correctly. It's the pan itself around the basket that is the high point.

Mike
Old 03-28-2013, 04:25 PM   #7
Bowti

Mike,

I will be sure to let you know how things turn out. However, it will be a couple of weeks before I take delivery.

The ladder thing is quite controversial on this model as to whether or not, there are the backing plates installed at the factory to support the ladder. My dealer says there are backing plates.
Then there is the question as to how strong the roof is. I don't plan on dancing on it, but I am sure hoping the aluminum truss are strong enough to support my fat rear.

I have searched the topic and read everything, but I haven't seen anyone that has a ladder on the cougar 28SGS.

Bill
Old 03-28-2013, 05:24 PM   #8
Sunbeamtiger

Bill,

Looks like you and I have done the same research concerning a ladder installation. Like you I haven't seen our model with a ladder but I have seen slightly older 1/2 ton Cougars with them. I have taken measurements of these rigs and everything is the same as ours. Same window, lights and location mounting.
I can't really dig into anything for another month or so since we are set up in a rv park waiting for our house that is under construction to be completed. Then I will have access to all my tools and work space.
Do you think Keystone would tell us if there are mounting blocks in place for a ladder?? I'm more concerned about the wall than the roof. The way I figure it the roof will be a bit spongy but when the built it, they had to walk on it.

Mike
Old 03-29-2013, 02:15 AM   #9
XLite28SGS

Mike, Bill;

When we ordered our 28SGS last summer we asked about a ladder and were told no (wanted it factory installed). Dealer also would not install one. Only reason - roof to soft (?) and no blocking. Let us know if you have one installed and how it goes. We would still like to have one.

Allan
2013 Chevrolet 2500HD EC DMax/Ally, 3.73 gear 4x4
XLite28SGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:25 AM   #10
Sunbeamtiger

Allan,
That's not good news, lets just hope it is just your particular dealer that doesn't want to do with it.
I'll keep you informed on my quest for a ladder.
I do wish I would have purchased a different model/make due to this ladder mounting and several other modifications I want to make but were standard on other brands. I do believe I have "Buyers Remorse".

Mike
Old 04-03-2013, 09:07 AM   #11
Bowti

Mike, Allen,

I checked out my 28SGS today at the dealers storage lot. They have the ladder installed on the left side and it is very solid. It does have a weight rating on it of 300lbs. I pulled on it hard but like I said it was mounted solid.

I also, kind of checked out the rear bumper, as I have been looking at bike racks and have been reading about all the weak bumper posts. I would not say it is the strongest in the world but after jumping on it and tugging at the spare tire, it seemed fairly solid to me.

I do plan on fabricating a solid scooter carrier on from the frame out to carrier my old 62 Cushman Iron Eagle.

So, my dealer came through for me with a solid ladder, if you can say 300lbs is solid.
Old 04-03-2013, 02:22 PM   #12
Sunbeamtiger

Bowti

The ladder mounting sounds very encouraging. What are the chances of posting a few pictures of the ladder, possibly with a tape measure next to a mounting bracket or two. So I/we can get an idea where to attach mine. If you don't feel comfortable posting it let me know and I will give you my email address.

Funny that you should mention a bike rack, I too plan on doing the same. First thing will be to mount the spare tire under the belly, between the landing gear. There appears to be plenty of steel for support there. Then I'm going to order a hitch from etrailer.com and bolt that on to the frame then have a welding shop attach the receiver portion of it to the bumper. That is if I think it needs to be.
The Cushman sounds really cool, my plans are to carry a Honda CT90.

Mike
Old 04-03-2013, 03:23 PM   #13
Bowti

Mike, I will get you some pic's along with some dimensions, but it will be a while as I don't plan on picking it up until the 15th. I will also ask my dealer about this controversy to see what he says about this ladder thing.

I have decided to go with a front receiver hitch on the TV for the bikes. The Cushman will have to go on a custom fabricated carrier on the rear of the Cougar as it goes about 250 lbs.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:01 PM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Mike, I will get you some pic's along with some dimensions, but it will be a while as I don't plan on picking it up until the 15th. I will also ask my dealer about this controversy to see what he says about this ladder thing.

I have decided to go with a front receiver hitch on the TV for the bikes. The Cushman will have to go on a custom fabricated carrier on the rear of the Cougar as it goes about 250 lbs.
YIKES !!!!!!!!!!!! Pick it up on the 14th or the 16th. The last thing you want is to be "negatively reminded" on how old your RV is on TAX DAY

As for packing a MC on the back of your RV, you might want to talk to people who have done it before. There's a tremendous amount of bouncing that far behind the axles and if you value your bike, you may not want it banged around that much.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 04:17 PM   #15
Bowti

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
YIKES !!!!!!!!!!!! Pick it up on the 14th or the 16th. The last thing you want is to be "negatively reminded" on how old your RV is on TAX DAY

As for packing a MC on the back of your RV, you might want to talk to people who have done it before. There's a tremendous amount of bouncing that far behind the axles and if you value your bike, you may not want it banged around that much.....
I hear what you are saying, I still have to talk to the fabricator, before going thru with the plan, to see what he says about how strong he can make it and what he sees as weight limits. I figure 250 lbs isn't too bad as long as he can keep close to the frame. This guy does the work for the dealer, so I'm hoping he knows what he is doing.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:21 PM   #16
trucker LOU

Hey guys, my Springdale did not come with a ladder. Amazon ladder on sale $80 less than camping world. stores behind chair. see pic I hope, ---LOU---
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1580.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	2711  
trucker LOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:18 AM   #17
Sunbeamtiger

Quote:

Bowti,
That would be wonderful if you could come up with some dimensions/pictures. As for the carrier on the rear, we should be just fine if we use lots of common sense and do our research.
Mike