Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 11-19-2012, 05:37 PM   #1
Sicapo

What type of battery do I have?

Hi everyone.
I've got a brand new 2013 Passport 195RB. I've read many post about battery maintenance. They talk about "flooded", "Gel" or "AGM" type of batteires. I'm wandering what type is my battery? Do I have to add water to it even though it's labelled "maintenance free".(I've attached a pic of the battery).

Thank you all in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Batt.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	2141  
Sicapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:40 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

It appears as though the battery is sealed - meaning that there are no openings into which you can add water to the cells. If this case, you do not need to add water meaning that it is not a "flooded" type. If it is labelled "Maintenance Free", then you shouldn't have to add any water. It would then be either a Gel or AGM variety.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:50 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

It is hard to read the name and model number from the picture of the battery you posted. Please post the name brand, model or other identifying information about the battery. Festus2 may well be correct that it is a gel or agm battery, however there are a few wet cell batteries that have "stylized caps" that look like they don't open, but in reality they pop off to access the cells to add water. This battery might be one of those from the appearance of the two "common screwdriver" tabs in the lower part of the battery.

Please post the information so we can be sure of the type battery you have.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:19 PM   #4
f6bits

It looks like this one:
http://www.batteriesdixon.com/Batter...1/Default.aspx

And everything about it is in French. Maybe you can give them a call.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:27 AM   #5
SAABDOCTOR

LOOKS Like there are 6 screw caps. so yes you can add water. maintanace free means that there is a system of passages that allow the acid to drain back as the battery vents therefore it is maintance free. kinda like the artic package decal.
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:25 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Right Barney. I saw the two screwcaps and it looks like a third one on the right side of the nameplate decal. When I bought new batteries for our snowmobiles last year, they are AGM batteries, there are 6 push in caps to seal the battery after the acid is added to the gel material. Once the caps are pushed in, the battery "becomes sealed" and the caps don't come back out.

I am not sure if the OP's battery is one of that type or if it's a simple "maintenance free" battery with conventional electrolite in it. I found the battery online, but there is no data or specs listed on the site, so hopefully with additional information from him we'll be able to tell him positively if it's "maintenance free" or AGM/sealed.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 11-20-2012, 10:33 AM   #7
SAABDOCTOR

if they unscrew then you can add water if they are snapped in it is agm. but i am betting they screw off!
Old 11-20-2012, 11:03 AM   #8
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABDOCTOR View Post
if they unscrew then you can add water if they are snapped in it is agm. but i am betting they screw off!
Oh! ... I thought you said "Screw up" .... thought you were calling me. ... Sorry.

Even in Canada I don't think a dealer would give AGM or Gell, so my bet (and I don't read French) is Maintenance Free. Just for dealer profit.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:18 PM   #9
SAABDOCTOR

hank remember i am a mechanic so it is i that screws up!!!! and your right i can't see the dealer puting in an expensive battery. so me thinks that battery is unscrewable. if it was a french battery would you have to add wine instead of water? oh i'm gonna get for that one
Old 11-20-2012, 05:11 PM   #10
Sicapo

Closer look at the model: http://flic.kr/p/dv2HZf

I've check further and I found that there are 4 other "caps" (hidden by the sticker) for a total of 6. Could be one for each cell?
Didn't try to unscrew them! Should I? What kind of dammage can it do?

By the way SAABDOCTOR, although the label is in both english and french, there's a big sticker on the side that says "Made in USA"

http://flic.kr/p/duW8CP
Sicapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:59 PM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

What you/ve got is a typical group 24 lead acid deep cycle battery. It's the normal "maintenance free" type, which means that about monthly you need to check the acid level in each of those 6 caps. Inside the battery cap you'll see a molded "spout" and at the bottom of that spout will be a molded triangle/different shape flange. Fill the battery with distilled water to that level. NO HIGHER!!! Check it about once a month when in service, and if it's on a trickle charger for the winter, check it about every other month.

These batteries are not "super expensive" and replacements can be bought at WalMart for about $60, so nope, your dealer did not give you (sell you) one of the expensive AGM batteries. They are upwards of $250 for a similar size battery.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 11-20-2012, 08:19 PM   #12
Mighty Ming

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
What you/ve got is a typical group 24 lead acid deep cycle battery. It's the normal "maintenance free" type, which means that about monthly you need to check the acid level in each of those 6 caps. Inside the battery cap you'll see a molded "spout" and at the bottom of that spout will be a molded triangle/different shape flange. Fill the battery with distilled water to that level. NO HIGHER!!! Check it about once a month when in service, and if it's on a trickle charger for the winter, check it about every other month.

These batteries are not "super expensive" and replacements can be bought at WalMart for about $60, so nope, your dealer did not give you (sell you) one of the expensive AGM batteries. They are upwards of $250 for a similar size battery.
X2 on what JRTJH states. Just be sure you use DISTILLED WATER!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Go Padres!!
Mighty Ming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:22 AM   #13
SAABDOCTOR

SOMEONE SAID IT WAS IN FRENCH HENCE THE WINE JOKE!. YES YOUR ARE RIGHT ONE CAP FOR EACH CELL!. I WOULD TRY TO UNSCREW THEM THEY ARE IN SNUG NOT SUPER TIGHT. IF THEY ARE THEY WILL BE A BEAR TO MOVE AND THEN YOU SHOULD STOP!. OPPS SORRY ABOUT THE CAPS. I WAS DOING A REPAIR ORDER AT WORK AND FORGOT TO TURN THEM OFF. I AM NOT YELLING.IT IS TO NICE OUT TO BE MAD!! Have a great thanksgiving.
Old 11-24-2012, 05:00 AM   #14
Bushman512000

Battery

Made by DECA batterys? This company builds for many labels.location PA USA I have Dura Cell from Sams Club was told thats made there also.I have lots of faith in them.Used them for years.Not a bad run so far.Just have a eye on water as they age or ar stored with a charger on for a long time...Bushman
Bushman512000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:19 AM   #15
PerryB

That is a typical flooded battery. Check the water 2 or 3 times a year. When it comes time for a replacement go with am AGM. They are expensive up front but worth the cost in my opinion.They don't lose water, produce almost no gas (which may or may not be an issue for you, depending on mounting location) and last nearly twice as long.
PerryB is offline   Reply With Quote