Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 09-27-2021, 01:00 PM   #1
Falcon67

New 2021 220RD owner

As in, just drug it home Saturday. We'd been looking a while and kept coming back to the 202RD and the 220RD. The 220 seemed to be the best fit, just a tad longer and liked the couch. One of the main criteria was for it to park in front of daughter's house in Albuquerque and not block her or the next neighbor driveway. In that neighborhood, that's a tough requirement as they really squeezed those high buck houses in. 31' would have been the max.

This is our first RV trailer but we're not really new to RV. We also pull a 34' Continental Cargo race trailer with a bath package. We outfit it for sleeping at longer out of town races. Just spent 3 1/2 days at Ennis with it.

Our main puller is a 2020 F-350 DRW with a 7.3L gas motor. The 34' weighs 13,900 with the door car in it. So pulling the 220RD home 150 miles with just a hitch ball wasn't a big deal. I was surprised that the truck didn't care for the trailer much above 70, but I think the internal truck systems can't tell how much is back there. Trailer is light on the tongue but it's tall so it probably feels heavier. The 10 speed trans spent time hunting more at 70~72 than at 68. The truck likes 2300~2500 lbs tongue weight for the big box, so I might pack some more stuff in the nose and see how that does. Will be adding a 2nd battery anyway.

Alternately we'll pull it with a F-150 5.4L. The Equalizer 10K hitch is on order for the unit.

One thing right off I'd knock Keystone on is the ceiling lights in the trailer. News flash - not everyone is 6' tall. I had to cut down a wooden dowel so my wife can push the center LED light buttons. I'd also knock them on just dumping paperwork in a drawer. Except for the AC unit, I'll have to open panels and hunt for things like the model number on the inverter. I'd also wish they could provide a specific wiring diagram for future troubleshooting.

Solar - in spite of the "solar prep" noted in the literature, the only think solar on this one is a SAE connector next to the "giggy box". (really?) We could have waited for a 2022 but we'd paid $5K more for the trailer and I can add 200w of solar MPPT control for around $500, no not really a great trade off.

Other than that, we'll see how we like it. We've been having our after dinner wine break out in the driveway with the dogs. Wife now calls it her mobile screened in porch.
Falcon67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 01:34 PM   #2
Texas Steve

I have the exact same floor plan only in a Hideout wrapper. We have had it for almost 3 years and it is a good couples trailer that is light enough to drag and fit anywhere we want to go. Now the grandkids have started coming on some trims and just need a bit more space. It has been a good trailer that has never needed to go to the shop (might have just jinxed myself there!). Biggest mods were adding tv's in the kitchen and bedroom areas and adding peg board in the pass through storage for organization. Just put a new set of Carlisle Radial HD tires and what a difference in ride and feel.

Congrats on the trailer and get out and enjoy!
Texas Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 02:07 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Welcome to the forum from a fellow Texan! Lots of good folks and knowledge here so join in.

Merkel, TX? Was just through there a couple of days ago headed to Abilene. Got a good friend there. Happy Camping.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 03:33 AM   #4
spicercars

Welcome from northern MN.
Old 09-28-2021, 05:20 AM   #5
curtiscapk

Welcome we have the baby brother Hideout 177 RD. We love ours!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210827_194355 (Medium).jpg
Views:	36
Size:	205.4 KB
ID:	36059  
2013 F150 5.0 2WD
Equalizer 4 WDH
Overland Park, KS
curtiscapk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 06:03 PM   #6
Falcon67

Thanks very much for the welcome! We intend to use the thing, that was really the major debate - if we buy it, will we use it.

The equalizer hitch for the F150 came today, so we can test with that truck soon. Wife needs to learn that one.

I'll mention while we were at the dealer, we looked over a 100k 5th wheel unit. I could see living in one of those. Provided it came with a 40x60 shop for the race cars and such.
Falcon67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 08:42 PM   #7
Gary R.

Hello and welcome!

Congrats on the new TT, and we hope you and DW enjoy many mile of enjoyment!

Have fun and take care!
Retired Firefighter/EMT.
Gary R. is offline   Reply With Quote