Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-24-2021, 01:51 PM   #1
cvin

Maxxair deluxe fan battery question

I have the deluxe fan and it has been slow to come on and seems to be spinning slow

Pretty sure my batteries are getting old/bad but I’m plugged in to shore power through October or November and was going to replace them then

Before I replace the motor on the fan I’m wondering if bad batteries could be the problem instead???
cvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 02:01 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

It could be... An easy way to find out is to disconnect the batteries from the trailer and see if the fan speed increases. If it does, the batteries are likely "pulling down the converter output. If so, it's time to take the batteries to have them checked... Delaying that could, if things go south, destroy your converter/charger as well as the batteries.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 02:14 PM   #3
cvin

Thank you, I will do that tomorrow

Will everything work in the camper if I pull the batteries while I’m gone for two weeks if it is plugged in?

There is no Costco Flagstaff…
Old 07-24-2021, 02:26 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Yes, everything will work, but you won't have "12 volt backup power" for the short time until the batteries discharge... In effect, shore power will provide everything needed to operate all the trailer functions except for large, high demand loads (don't open/close slides without the batteries connected)...

The only difference will be that without batteries, the refrigerator will not "switch to gas operation" if the shore power fails. This time of year, no need for the furnace, if you're gone, no need for hot water or water pump for that matter and with shore power failure, no air conditioning, but it doesn't work on battery anyway.

So, the only difference, essentially, if you disconnect the batteries, would be that the refrigerator won't switch over to gas and you "could" come home to a bunch of spoiled food....

As for no COSTCO, any auto parts store like Auto Zone, Advance Auto or O'Riley's can load test the batteries for you. If they're bad, then your next trip to COSTCO, take them with you. If they're good, then start looking at that fan motor as "starting to fail"......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 02:57 PM   #5
cvin

Thank you so much for all this information

Will update this as I get the problem solved, good chance it is the batteries
I am pretty sure they are bad
Old 07-25-2021, 02:57 PM   #6
cvin

Well flipped the big battery disconnect and unhooked one battery, checked it with the multi meter and it is toast

But i did not see any change in the speed of the fan…
How long do these fan motors usually last?
This one is 4-5 years old and has been used a good bit

Not sure how to check the converter output
Did notice the 12 volt lights- which have been switched to led- are flickering a little with the batteries off

This is the original keystone converter in here and think it may be one of the not great ones

Tags
battery