Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-10-2021, 08:21 AM   #1
markcee

Equalizer Sockets

I have about 1300 miles in on a new 14K Equalizer 4 point and the sockets are stiffer now than when I began the trip. I am referring to the inward/outward movement required when pushing or pulling the spring arms towards or away from the L-brackets. A young Arnold Schwarzenegger would have a problem moving them.

I know there is some break in required but I am concerned that they are getting almost immoveable, which just doesn't seem correct.

This morning I:

*Loosened the socket bolts completely. This allowed me to move the sockets....but a lot of force is still required. I would say that in this completely loose position I am utilizing about the same force as my previous 12K hitch Equalizer required - when the sockets bolts were appropriately tightened.

*Swung the sockets completely to each side while the bolts were 'loose' and cleaned and greased both sides of the friction points where designated. Moved the bars back and forth several times to spread out the lube.

*Torqued the bolts to the minimum of 60 foot pounds, as measured by two different torque wrenches. The movement now is only marginally better. Still much more difficult than the previous hitch, and still at the point of extreme difficulty for a normal human!

Any other suggestions? Perhaps run the socket bolts at less torque for several hundred more miles, tightening as (if) things seem to loosen up?

Equalizer CS is not open on weekends, so also plan on giving them a call Monday.

Thanks!
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 08:48 AM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Mark mine did the same thing. It got to where it took what amounted to Herculean effort to pull them out or get them in to the point I figured I would either throw something out or break something. I procured a 5' hollow steel bar that then made moving them a snap and over time they really loosened up...but quite a few miles more than 1300.

I would find you a bar for the interim and I'm assuming you are using the tongue jack to lift the bars off the L brackets before trying to pull them in/out. I would also keep them torqued to spec.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 08:55 AM   #3
markcee

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Mark mine did the same thing. It got to where it took what amounted to Herculean effort to pull them out or get them in to the point I figured I would either throw something out or break something. I procured a 5' hollow steel bar that then made moving them a snap and over time they really loosened up...but quite a few miles more than 1300.

I would find you a bar for the interim and I'm assuming you are using the tongue jack to lift the bars off the L brackets before trying to pull them in/out. I would also keep them torqued to spec.
Thanks....I did find an old post of yours mentioning the bar. I was trying to lever them a bit with the tool that comes with it, but that is more to lift them up onto the L-brackets which is not my issue as yes...I am using the tongue jack for this purpose.

Dumb question, but you're using the hollow bar as cheater, right? Slipping it over the end of the spring arm as an extension for more leverage?
Old 07-10-2021, 09:01 AM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

No, I just wedged the bar on the ground/pavement and used it to either push the bar in or pull it out. I think the bar would have to be too big around to slide over the end of the spring bar plus stick back quite a ways. To try the concept initially I just took a rock bar and pulled/pushed the bar and it worked great but I didn't want to carry around a 40 lb. rock bar. I had the other bar in the shop from some other long forgotten use so just repurposed it. The bar just needs to be strong enough not to bend when pushing so hard.
Old 07-10-2021, 09:23 AM   #5
markcee

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
No, I just wedged the bar on the ground/pavement and used it to either push the bar in or pull it out. I think the bar would have to be too big around to slide over the end of the spring bar plus stick back quite a ways. To try the concept initially I just took a rock bar and pulled/pushed the bar and it worked great but I didn't want to carry around a 40 lb. rock bar. I had the other bar in the shop from some other long forgotten use so just repurposed it. The bar just needs to be strong enough not to bend when pushing so hard.
OK got it. One more question, do you think a length 1" schedule 40 black pipe is strong enough? See that available at HD close by.
Old 07-10-2021, 09:35 AM   #6
CedarCreekWoody

Those joints are a lube spot. I used a light weight oil on mine and they moved easily. I torqued them to 70 to stiffen them a bit.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 09:39 AM   #7
markcee

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
Those joints are a lube spot. I used a light weight oil on mine and they moved easily. I torqued them to 70 to stiffen them a bit.
Yep....i lubed them up on both the top and bottom....right where the sticker indicates. Still way hard to budge 'em.
Old 07-10-2021, 11:32 AM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by markcee View Post
OK got it. One more question, do you think a length 1" schedule 40 black pipe is strong enough? See that available at HD close by.

I think that pipe should work. As time goes by they will loosen up. Mine went from so hard to push and pull I had to use the bar to having to run the torque up on them (70-75) and I could still pull them out by hand(s) without a lot of effort. Remember the further you get away from the hitch head out on the spring bar the leverage increases and makes moving the bar easier.
Old 07-13-2021, 03:34 PM   #9
Weldon

I've had to use my rubber mallet more than once to move mine. I have used the install hook bar thing to move them away off the brackets. But what really helped was using the equalizer lube, and finding the sweet spot lifting the truck and tongue, then marking it with a sharpie. When I hit that line that I drew on the tongue lift bar, I've rarely needed anything. I may have 1,500 miles on my S4.
Weldon is offline   Reply With Quote