Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 05-10-2021, 07:39 PM   #1
KarenK

Battery Question, should I return and get a different one?

Husband came home with a new battery for my camper today. Brought up that it wasn't a deep cell but he says it's a commercial one and will be fine. This is what he got.

https://www.familyfarmandhome.com/de...ery-90195.html

Checked the Deka website and even they say automotive batteries are not what you want for an RV. They do have deep cell heavy duty ones but not sure if they carry them in our local store.

Wouldn't this one be a better choice at the same price? https://www.familyfarmandhome.com/de...ry-649155.html

What are your thoughts? Will the one he bought hurt my rig in any way? In 30 years I've never NOT used a deep cycle.

And I see deka also makes the Sam's club duracell that have pretty bad reviews right now. Last Sam's club battery I had swelled up at year 2.
Past
2006 Springdale 280 FWIKL-GL
1997 Jayco 253
KarenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 10:10 PM   #2
LHaven

Hurt your rig? No. But if you boondock, you won't get the duration you want, and given that you're likely to discharge it past its damage point, you'll be replacing it more frequently.
Old 05-11-2021, 01:48 AM   #3
notanlines

What CD^^^^said. Over all, the one he bought will work, but your deep cycle
is a better choice. Make sure it will fit however!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 04:44 AM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenK View Post
Husband came home with a new battery for my camper today. Brought up that it wasn't a deep cell but he says it's a commercial one and will be fine. This is what he got.

https://www.familyfarmandhome.com/de...ery-90195.html

Checked the Deka website and even they say automotive batteries are not what you want for an RV. They do have deep cell heavy duty ones but not sure if they carry them in our local store.

Wouldn't this one be a better choice at the same price? https://www.familyfarmandhome.com/de...ry-649155.html

What are your thoughts? Will the one he bought hurt my rig in any way? In 30 years I've never NOT used a deep cycle.

And I see deka also makes the Sam's club duracell that have pretty bad reviews right now. Last Sam's club battery I had swelled up at year 2.
First I must comment on the intro. I love the "Husband came home with a new battery for my camper today. " I've seen women towing campers more frequently than ever. We have a good freind who towed her family's camper and wouldn't let her husband near it. Our youngest daughter was the same way, she towed the pop-up and didn't let her husband near it. Didn't mean to sidetrack but just had to say it.

To the battery, your husband's choice is not "as good" as yours. With that said, it depends on how you use it if it makes any difference. If you are using the battery as your primary source of power (i.e. boondocking) then I would go with the "true deepcycle". If you stay at electric available sites then "his choise" will work just fine.

Hope that helps.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 08:11 AM   #5
travelin texans

For the same money the deep cycle would be the best choice whether you use full hook ups or boondock, but the one he bought won't hurt your rig & will most likely need replaced much sooner.
Actually with only 650 CCA I wouldn't have bought it for the truck, I typically look for 900+ CCA.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 01:12 PM   #6
KarenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
First I must comment on the intro. I love the "Husband came home with a new battery for my camper today. " I've seen women towing campers more frequently than ever. We have a good freind who towed her family's camper and wouldn't let her husband near it. Our youngest daughter was the same way, she towed the pop-up and didn't let her husband near it. Didn't mean to sidetrack but just had to say it.

To the battery, your husband's choice is not "as good" as yours. With that said, it depends on how you use it if it makes any difference. If you are using the battery as your primary source of power (i.e. boondocking) then I would go with the "true deepcycle". If you stay at electric available sites then "his choise" will work just fine.

Hope that helps.
Thanks, I think the only time he's driven this one is the day we brought it home. Hardest part of the drive is our tree lined driveway loop.

I might return it tomorrow for a deep cell, he's taking his hunt shack up to the UP and I have the receipt. He won't care as long as doesn't have to carry it around again.
Past
2006 Springdale 280 FWIKL-GL
1997 Jayco 253
KarenK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery