Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 04-16-2021, 11:03 AM   #41
kcamp99186

Similar experience

We plugged out new rig into our garage (GFI) outlet for the first week. It kept tripping the outlet. I contacted the dealership and was told there can be issues doing that. Sure enough, when I moved the plug to a regular outlet the problem resolved itself. It seems that having more than 1 GFCI in the circuit can cause problems and note that it doesn't have to be your fridge circuit. It could be something else. Hope this helps, wish you the best.

kcamp99186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 11:11 AM   #42
edepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcamp99186 View Post
We plugged out new rig into our garage (GFI) outlet for the first week. It kept tripping the outlet. I contacted the dealership and was told there can be issues doing that. Sure enough, when I moved the plug to a regular outlet the problem resolved itself. It seems that having more than 1 GFCI in the circuit can cause problems and note that it doesn't have to be your fridge circuit. It could be something else. Hope this helps, wish you the best.
Thanks so much! Unfortunately, all of the storage unit receptacles are GFCI. But... another forum member here suggested that we try to flip off the circuit to our GFCI outlet inside the trailer. That may fix the issue for us. Thanks again for your suggestion! Much appreciated.
edepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 11:59 AM   #43
KimNTerry

I was also experiencing similar issues 30 Amp cord through dog bone adapter to 15 Amp GFCI. It worked for years without issue, then suddenly GFCI started tripping. It turns out that my dog bone adapter shorted out. So check all of the components. in the chain and never assume it is good.

The GFCI tripping is actually a good thing in that the protection devices are doing their job and not letting your equipment get cooked.

2016 Cougar 1/2 Ton Series 283 RETWE
2018 F150 EcoBoost FX4 Lariat Max-Tow and Heavy Duty Payload Package
KimNTerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 12:21 PM   #44
edepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimNTerry View Post
I was also experiencing similar issues 30 Amp cord through dog bone adapter to 15 Amp GFCI. It worked for years without issue, then suddenly GFCI started tripping. It turns out that my dog bone adapter shorted out. So check all of the components. in the chain and never assume it is good.

The GFCI tripping is actually a good thing in that the protection devices are doing their job and not letting your equipment get cooked.
Definitely. I ended up buying another 50 amp to 15 amp in the event that the one we had was bad, but it wasn't. So now we have a backup. We also tried a heavier extension cord (10/3). I'm hopeful that if we just turn off the circuit to the GFCI to our bathroom, that will fix our issue. Fingers crossed!
edepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 12:20 AM   #45
SAE

Quote:
Originally Posted by edepp View Post
Our Dometic refrigerator keeps tripping the storage facility outside "GFCI." We have nothing but the fridge turned on while on the storage lot. We have a commercial extension cord going from our travel trailer directly to the storage unit's GFCI outlet. They said that we may have a power surge "issue." I'm not so "sure." Any ideas?

Don't be so sure that the GFI plug itself isn't at fault. .... you'd be surprised!

The only way to tell for certain is to replace (yes, I have ALSO received bad GFI right out-of-the-box!
SAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 01:50 AM   #46
cavie

Quote:
Definitely. I ended up buying another 50 amp to 15 amp in the event that the one we had was bad, but it wasn't. So now we have a backup. We also tried a heavier extension cord (10/3). I'm hopeful that if we just turn off the circuit to the GFCI to our bathroom, that will fix our issue. Fingers crossed!

I hope he comes back with a report.
Old 05-11-2021, 09:54 AM   #47
SAE

Quote:

Other's mentioned that their pigtails had a "short", and that is what caused the GFI to trip. That, alone (a short) wont cause the GFI to trip. That's not how they work. A short should have caused the main service pole (box) to trip a fuse or CB. GFCI protect ONLY for current "leaks". Simply put, it measures current coming to the GFI and current going back directly to the utility. If the EXACT current being 'consumed/used' does not match the current being 'returned to the utility', the GFI know that current, no mater how minuscule, perhaps as small as 4 or 4 milliamps.... is being leaked to ground by another pathway. =BAD! and then it trips. Again, they do not act as circuit breakers, and do not 'trip' for 'shorts'.

In a Keystone, (at least) the bathroom GFI generally may have outlets wired "downstream". These should be connected to the "LOAD" side of the GFI (vs. line) You may consider finding those downstream "loads", ... usually an outdoor accessible or basement accessible outlet. Even though those downstream outlets are NOT generally GFI" outlets, the upstream outlet (bathroom if GFI) protects them from uneven loads (GFI 'leaks'), too.

In the past (HA!) both my bathroom was bad AND a downstream load (outlet) was 'leaking' current. To trouble shoot, rather than simply buy parts (that you may not need),

1). get a plug-in circuit tester with the GFI test function for your toolbox(s). (<$10). It will show any 120VAC outlet (home or camper) for proper wiring..... for example, neutral and line being reversed is soooooo common (and deadly). You can check the campground's 120VAC outlet at their power stand as well.

This will assist you in testing which are loads to the the bathroom outlet, as well as testing one function of the bath GFI as well.

2) find all downstream "loads" and pull those apart looking for spiders, failed water seals, and stuff that could cause a current 'leak'.

3) Check your bath GFI for proper wiring/polarity. Line-in/load/"hot"/neutral/ground. Then simply "trip" your bath's GFI (vs. tripping the entire bath circuit (which may in fact be electrically the same? -Depends on your specific camper, etc... .). but the point is to begin a process of elimination to find who's GFI is possibly bad (the campground's our yours), or where the leak to ground is occurring.

Good luck and please report back.
Old 05-11-2021, 10:01 AM   #48
SAE

Quote:
Our Dometic refrigerator keeps tripping the storage facility outside "GFCI." We have nothing but the fridge turned on while on the storage lot. We have a commercial extension cord going from our travel trailer directly to the storage unit's GFCI outlet. They said that we may have a power surge "issue." I'm not so "sure." Any ideas?

I should have asked earlier.... how was it that you determined that the refer was the exact culprit to cause the storage facility gfi to trip?

After our writings here, I am subject to believe that the storage units GFI isn't up to snuff.... weak, wired incorrectly, or failed.

thanks

Tags
fridge, gfci, storage