Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-07-2012, 01:47 PM   #1
MichiganMarty

Landing Gear - Venture MFG. Co.

My 2006 3712TS Toy Hauler landing gear failed - again.

My electric motor is on the passenger side of the vehicle - only one electric motor. The first time it failed the shear pin (10-32 bolt) sheared on the motor end of the square drive tube. This time, the shaft coming out of the leg (on the same side) snapped off at the hole where the bolt goes through.

My fix was to use the hole that retains the black nylon spacer bushing as the shear pin hole, and cut the black nylon spacer bushing shorter to fill in the gap.

I discovered the black nylon spacer bushing is needed to hold the motor and reduction gear box tight to the leg assembly.

As a permanent fix, I will order the repair kit from Venture which will include a new shaft.

Since I had this problem I wondered about the shape of the shear pin on the driver side. My unit has a generator so I had to empty the basement and pull the nearly 8 foot long panel from the front side of the basement to access the leg. The bolt on that side is a 1/4-20 bolt and the nut nearly fell off in my hand. I fixed that with a ny-lock nut.

Then I cut the panel off 2 feet from the left end so I would not have to remove the entire panel again.

I cannot seem to get any straight answers from Venture on what is the proper hardware for shear pins so I used the same thing that was in there before...Grade 8 socket head cap screws - both sides. After reading many threads here, I am going to change them out to grade 5.

That said, I am seriously considering adding a motor to the left side to eliminate the shear pins and drive tube completely.

Any thoughts?
2006 Raptor 3712TS on top of a Hensley BD3 Trailer Saver
MichiganMarty is offline   Reply With Quote