Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-09-2012, 05:04 AM   #1
dave-g

2011 f250 6.2 gas chip

Has any one tried a chip or cold air intake on one of these.
KTM 300 xc-sold
ktm 450 exc-r
dave-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:34 AM   #2
Tim&Patty

Dave,
We have a 2011 F-150, 6.2 I've installed a Hypertech drive, Volant air intake and MagnaFlow Cat Back hitting somewhere around 515HP. If you increase your suck, ya got to increase your blow also. Factory exhaust went down to 2 1/2" before muffler (way to restricted) the Hypertech adjusts max shift points, rpms and a whole host of other options. Bottom line about 2-4 mpg more while towing, tho any gains are lost because of a malfunction with brain and right foot when disconnected from the RV. She's turned into a "Bad A$$ Truck".

Happy Camping

Tim & Patty (RHDW Red Head Dear Wife)
Riley (Monster Yorkie)

2011 High Country 291RLS, SteadyFast, XM Radio, Awning Sun Shade.

2011 Ford F-150 Platinum, 6.2L, Max Tow Package
Voliant Ram Air, MagnaFlow Cat-Back, Hypertech Chip, On Board Lift Bags, Anzo Projector Headlights & LED Tailights, Pace Rolling Padded Hard Cover.
Reese 16K Slider
Tim&Patty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 02:31 PM   #3
jje1960

Ford 6.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim&Patty View Post
Dave,
We have a 2011 F-150, 6.2 I've installed a Hypertech drive, Volant air intake and MagnaFlow Cat Back hitting somewhere around 515HP. If you increase your suck, ya got to increase your blow also. Factory exhaust went down to 2 1/2" before muffler (way to restricted) the Hypertech adjusts max shift points, rpms and a whole host of other options. Bottom line about 2-4 mpg more while towing, tho any gains are lost because of a malfunction with brain and right foot when disconnected from the RV. She's turned into a "Bad A$$ Truck".

Happy Camping
Wow... bad stuff. "somewhere around 515HP" Gotta ask, how the heck much did this stuff cost? Even my 6.7 Diesel is only at 400Hp and 800 torque, did you under buy the original truck and need to bump to pull?
jje1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 04:00 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

The base 6.2 L engine in the 2011 F150 makes 411 HP and 434FtLb of torque. So the increase, while very good is not really stressing that engine "that much" I'm still trying to justify playing with my 5.4 L but don't really want to risk the warranty just yet. Sooner or later, I'll start playing with it, but just not yet.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 02:07 AM   #5
dave-g

I do not feel I "under bought" just find it had to leave things alone.

The hp numbers are nice but the torque is what moves mountains. That diesel of yours make twice as much as the gas motor.

$$$ I'm guessing, 400 for the chip- 400 for the intake- 1100 for the exhaust.
KTM 300 xc-sold
ktm 450 exc-r
Old 05-11-2012, 09:27 AM   #6
Harley76

Dave,
Save your money! Is a plug and play programer fun? you betcha! Canned tunes and chips can make your truck feel "peppy" by changing shift points and MAY get you and extra 1mpg. and if your lucky 10-20 more HP. I also use a programer on my mustang to change from a 93 octane tune to a nitrous tune at the track.

Is this a true statement "Hypertech drive, Volant air intake and MagnaFlow Cat Back hitting somewhere around 515HP"... Over 100 HP? Really? Sorry I think not. I would love to see the dyno sheet adding up all the manufactures claims may equal that much.

Bottom line, Do all the mods (intake, exhaust, etc) you would like on your truck and then take it to have a dyno-tune by a pro. Cost, about $300. They should give you before and after results and offer to load your tune in a hand held programer like an SCT. If down the road you decide to change something like 373 to 410 gears you can reprogram the tune yourself with the SCT. If you are leaving your truck stock...trust me, Ford knows what its doing.
Harley76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:54 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley76 View Post
Dave,
Save your money! ........If you are leaving your truck stock...trust me, Ford knows what its doing.
Harley76,

I agree with you that 100+ HP increase with a chip, intake and exhaust is a big increase. As you say, when you add the chip increase, the intake increase and then the exhaust increase, they may individually add up to 100HP, but when all of them are added to one vehicle, is the increase the sum or all three or does each individually work with the others and the sum of increase is somewhat less than the total of the three? (Now even I am confused by that statement) LOL

At any rate. When you say "Ford knows what it's doing" I also agree with you there for the most part. The engineers at Ford are more interested in tweeking an engine (and drive train) to obtain maximum reliability/longivity and maximum fuel economy. Where those two curves meet is around where they try to maintain their "tune" It's an added benefit that performance also falls "sort of" in that same spot on the graph. Ford does, at times, tune specific vehicles for increased performance at the expense of economy or longivity (Shelby Mustang and Ford GT as examples) but the general population of Ford cars and trucks are tuned for economy and longivity. That's not necessarily "what's best" for a specific application, rather for the overall yearly production and profit margin. So, to restate what you commented... "Ford knows what it's doing (when it comes to Ford's bottom line and meeting CAFE standards)." When it comes to tweeking a vehicle to meet a specific task such as towing a heavy trailer or shifting at higher RPM points, that tweeking can better be individualized with aftermarket components. Yes, potentially at the risk of economy or reliability, but not always are those compromised.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 02:17 AM   #8
dave-g

100+ hp would be great- but not realistic. 25-30 would be possible with a cold air intake and a tuner. Just not a lot of options for the 250- 6.2 I'll check with stc and see what they have.

I wish they had a on the fly tuner like my friend has in his diesel.
KTM 300 xc-sold
ktm 450 exc-r
Old 05-12-2012, 07:24 AM   #9
Harley76

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Harley76,

When it comes to tweeking a vehicle to meet a specific task such as towing a heavy trailer or shifting at higher RPM points, that tweeking can better be individualized with aftermarket components. Yes, potentially at the risk of economy or reliability, but not always are those compromised.
All good points JRTJH! We all have a canned tune in our trucks (mine: 12 F250, 6.2, 373 gear) Just push the tow/haul button. For the most part this is a canned tune that can't be improved on with aftermarket components. I just got back (4/10) from 2 1/2 months on the road Mi. to Fl. pulling a 5er (cougar h/c) about 9k lbs loaded. Shift points for the most part are dead on, I felt the tune was for a bit heavier trailer, on a few hills I did shift into M then up shift when I felt the need while I would have liked 2 more MPG I don't think I would change anything.
Harley76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 09:09 AM   #10
Tim&Patty

Gee guys just answered Dave's question, wasn't trying to play "Mines bigger than yours", did the exact same mods to a 2010 F-150, 5.4, heavy tow package and was pleased with the results. The 11 is a Platinum with more bells and whistles (6.2, nav, sony sound). As to the statement that "Ford knows Best" to me is like "I'm from the government and here to help". Their attempt at cold air intake was IMHO was in the right direction, just too restricted (noise factor I assume), throw in resonator that choked the blow down to 2 1/4" hence the Cat-Back. The tuner took 3 months to get because it wasn't offered yet for the 6.2 and since I had the 5.4 tuner they asked if I become a beta tester, the only drawback so far is "she loves high octane". After 2 weeks of running premium gave me my best results on the dyno (515), I run most of the time without it (less temptation) and just use it on the road. Neither the 10 or 11 was under powered, I chose to do the mods because I could. A full-sized bed, 4X4, DRW, doesn't fit our lifestyle, plus we'd just end up buying a bigger RV .

Tim & Patty (RHDW Red Head Dear Wife)
Riley (Monster Yorkie)

2011 High Country 291RLS, SteadyFast, XM Radio, Awning Sun Shade.

2011 Ford F-150 Platinum, 6.2L, Max Tow Package
Voliant Ram Air, MagnaFlow Cat-Back, Hypertech Chip, On Board Lift Bags, Anzo Projector Headlights & LED Tailights, Pace Rolling Padded Hard Cover.
Reese 16K Slider
Tim&Patty is offline   Reply With Quote