Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-13-2019, 11:57 AM   #1
Lil Joe

M/C Trailer

Does anyone have experience towing a motorcycle behind their 5th wheel. I am looking into a Kendon Trailer. Weighs 300lbs and the bike weighs 800lbs. Could the rear bumper of a 2015 Cougar 333MKS be modified for an add on ball hitch?
Lil Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 12:34 PM   #2
notanlines

Joe, I looked their website over and watched the video, but they never cover the tongue weight issue. The company assumes you'll be pulling it behind a pickup or van of some sort. We tow both the bike and sidecar on a 1000 pound trailer, but our RV has a factory receiver. I would be very inclined to bring the unit by a welding/fabrication shop and get their views.
I'm well aware of members who have a sister who knows a fence painter who once dated a man who took welding in high school shop for a semester. This would be more serious than people who weld at home for a hobby. Keep us up on what you decide, or PM me and we'll talk.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 01:05 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

The question should be more along the lines of:

Can I modify the rear of my Cougar to support towing a M/C trailer and motorcycle with a total weight around 1100 pounds?

The answer to that is: Yes, you can install a receiver UNDER the current bumper that will support that kind of weight. Any qualified and experienced welder should be able to modify your trailer to install such a hitch...

The "caveat" being this: The rear bumper on all Keystone trailers is not adequate to support much more than a spare tire and its carrier. Certainly, that type bumper could not be expected to support 1100 pounds and attempting to do so would be extremely unsafe.....

I routinely tow either a 2000 pound boat and trailer or our Slingshot and trailer (about 2400 pounds). I had a "properly installed receiver" welded to the frame rails of our Cougar when we first bought it. It's been in place about 6 years and there's no damage and we've had no problems of any kind while towing.

I would suggest that you carefully research the laws that apply to double towing (often called "triple towing") as they apply to your state. For licensure, some states require an endorsement, some don't. If you're legal to tow in your state, then you have "reciprocity" to tow in all states where double towing is allowed. You must, however, meet the laws in the states through which you'll be towing your rig. If "no double trailers" are allowed in a specific state, then you can't operate your rig in that state, even though it's legal "at home"....

Here's a couple of photos of our rig
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3630.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	191.6 KB
ID:	24353   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3629.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	226.1 KB
ID:	24354  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4