Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-15-2019, 01:27 PM   #1
Don N.

Slide motor - cold weather

Temperatures have fallen below freezing at night but warm up during the day. When extending the living room slide, the motor starts but soon after it slowly begins to slow down to a stop. I restart it and it runs for a while then stops. The motor runs fine when I retract the slide. i have the trailer plugged in to 120V house outlet and it worked fine before the cold weather. Is this a cold weather or motor issue?
2013 GMC 2500HD w/ B&W turnover gooseneck hitch and Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel gooseneck mount
Airlift airbags

Don N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 01:49 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

This is a "For What It's Worth" kind of response, so take it for what it costs you:

I'd ask, What's changed?
Answer: Only the temperature....

So, I'd not do a lot of "tearing things apart and replacing components" until the weather warms and then, the first "Indian summer day" when the temps are above 65 or so, I'd head to the trailer and confirm the slide operation...

My guess (again FWIW): The slide will operate normally....

Why the change to "slowness" ???

Likely low temp affects battery output, low temp makes slide seals stiff, so they drag rather than "turn and comply" with the slide movement and oil/grease in the slide mechanism are thicker, so take more effort to move.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 08:22 PM   #3
Justvisiting2day

Slide motor - cold weather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don N. View Post
Temperatures have fallen below freezing at night but warm up during the day. When extending the living room slide, the motor starts but soon after it slowly begins to slow down to a stop. I restart it and it runs for a while then stops. The motor runs fine when I retract the slide. i have the trailer plugged in to 120V house outlet and it worked fine before the cold weather. Is this a cold weather or motor issue?
First check your ground wires, battery hook ups. That really should not be too much of a situation. And even if you are hooked to shore power, a ground bad , will make it act funny. But if it is old???
The ground just off the batts, first, then the "cleanliness" of the cables.
Good luck,
Chuck
Justvisiting2day is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide