Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-02-2019, 04:19 PM   #1
Becker103171

AC Help!!!!

Brand new Redwood 3881ES 2019

Second night in unit that air completely shut down as if control panel isn’t sending signal to unit.

We check voltage, amps, troubleshooting via manual, breakers, everything. How can this be happening on a 2 day old brand new rv???
Becker103171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 04:23 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Unplug the shore power (or turn off the Air Conditioner circuit breaker), remove the air conditioner filter door and use a flash light to view up, into the air return box. You should see an orange wire, hopefully secured with a wire nut to a wire on the air conditioner harness. That is the thermostat control wire and often comes loose causing the symptoms you're having.

Maybe, just maybe it's something as simple as that.......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 05:06 PM   #3
Becker103171

John

I have a unit on top of the rv. Is that where is would be?
Old 07-02-2019, 05:07 PM   #4
Becker103171

It is a ducted system. So any input there would be helpful
Old 07-02-2019, 05:32 PM   #5
Larrylane

Does your thermostat show the current inside temp and what model thermostat and air conditioner do you have?
Larrylane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 05:37 PM   #6
Becker103171

Set at 68. Zone is -F so doesn’t show inside. Earlier it did then the control panel(on wall digital) froze up and ever since then no air at all now.

Model 48000 Series AirXcel
Old 07-02-2019, 05:38 PM   #7
Becker103171

In-Command as well
Old 07-02-2019, 05:40 PM   #8
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becker103171 View Post
Brand new Redwood 3881ES 2019

Second night in unit that air completely shut down as if control panel isn’t sending signal to unit.

We check voltage, amps, troubleshooting via manual, breakers, everything. How can this be happening on a 2 day old brand new rv???
You have 2 acs, which one quit?
Are both tstats functioning?
Do you have the In Command system? If so I can't help, but someone should be able to!
Do you have a surge protector/ems connected? If so cbeck incoming voltages. If not you need one ASAP!!
To check the orange wire John mentioned you'll have to remove the ac cover on the roof then the metal shroud to expose the return plenum.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 05:42 PM   #9
Becker103171

You have 2 acs, which one quit? None work. I have 3 units

Are both tstats functioning? No
Do you have the In Command system? If so I can't help, but someone should be able to! YES

Do you have a surge protector/ems connected? If so cbeck incoming voltages. If not you need one ASAP!! - 124volts yes have SP

To check the orange wire John mentioned you'll have to remove the ac cover on the roof then the metal shroud to expose the return plenum. THAT’s what I thought.
Old 07-02-2019, 09:30 PM   #10
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becker103171 View Post
You have 2 acs, which one quit? None work. I have 3 units

Are both tstats functioning? No
Do you have the In Command system? If so I can't help, but someone should be able to! YES

Do you have a surge protector/ems connected? If so cbeck incoming voltages. If not you need one ASAP!! - 124volts yes have SP

To check the orange wire John mentioned you'll have to remove the ac cover on the roof then the metal shroud to expose the return plenum. THAT’s what I thought.
I'd suspect you issue is the In Command! Sorry never had that system on my Redwood, fortunately, so have no experience with it.
From reading here & the Redwood forums you might try disconnecting shore power & the batteries by removing the main negative cable (the factory disconnect will not totally disconnect 12 volt power) for a few seconds & that may reboot the In Command then try acs again
Replacement undetermined
Old 07-03-2019, 02:04 AM   #11
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

I believe John is referring to removing the INSIDE cover, not the ROOF cover. He will have to verify, but if you remove this as he said you will have access to your wiring. Don't make this harder than it needs to be. Being hot is bad enough.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 02:38 AM   #12
Northofu1

In computer land the first question is "Have you tried turning it off and then on again?"
Disconnect all power, incl batteries for 1 min. turn it all back on again. Test what the other gentlemen have asked you to test.
I like Honeywell for HVAC equipment. I work in large buildings with large and small equipment, it works well.
I'm pretty sure John meant the cover inside the trailer where the little dust filter is.
Good luck

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 06:11 AM   #13
ChuckS

I’d try resetting BCM .. but you stated you have digital thermostats? If
So is it a CCC2 thermostat ?

If so do a reset on the CCC2
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 06:36 AM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

Yes, the orange wire I suggested checking is INSIDE the RV. Remove the filter cover, use a flashlight and you'll see the wires as they enter a electrical box. There is an orange wire (from the thermostat to the control board) that is connected just outside that box. Typically, Keystone uses plastic wire nuts to secure that connection. I've found more than a few units that I've "fixed" by just undoing that connection, cleaning up the wire ends and reinstalling the wire nut.

On some "quiet air" units, there is no access to the unit from inside the coach. On those installations, everything must be accessed from the roof. So if you have the "new and improved" (which isn't really true) quiet air system, then you'll need to get on the roof, remove the shroud and open the control box to view/check any wire connections.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 06:38 AM   #15
Becker103171

Ok will do and report back. Thank you to everyone for taking time to help. Really appreciated.
Old 07-03-2019, 08:34 AM   #16
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbruce View Post
I believe John is referring to removing the INSIDE cover, not the ROOF cover. He will have to verify, but if you remove this as he said you will have access to your wiring. Don't make this harder than it needs to be. Being hot is bad enough.
His Redwood has the quiet air & DOES NOT have access from inside to that wire, only accessed from the roof. Also has 3 acs which all will most likely have that wire & will be hot tearing all of them apart while on the roof.
And compared to the non quiet air it is VERY quiet.
Replacement undetermined
Old 07-03-2019, 09:47 AM   #17
Becker103171

Correct. Just went up there and all connected and good. So I’m stumped. Like said either pneumatic issue or sensor issue at this point.
Old 07-03-2019, 08:02 PM   #18
ChuckS

The newer units that are ducted and using either In Command to control HVAC or CCC2 digital thermostat use a 4 wire telephone cable ... not wired like normal telephone cable to provide power to CCC2 and route data signals across the CANBUS. There is no orange wire

On In Command system start by reseating the RJ45 connector on the BCM and also at the tablet

If HVAC still not responding kill all DC power and shore power to RV

Go on roof and remove AC covers and reseat RJ45 connector at each air conditioner electronic control module

The restore DC power , shore power and reset BCM and try.

The ECMs for each AC... Zone1 and Zone2 are interconnected to each other via four wire telephone cable and then down to either BCM and
Tablet if In Command with Global connect or CCC2 digital thermostat

DC power is present at all times if on shore power or main DC disconnect is on

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 11:20 AM   #19
Bporourke2

I also have the in command system and one trick I have learned is to put the AC units on fan mode in high or low and then once the fan turns on, switch the mode to cool.
Bporourke2 is offline   Reply With Quote