Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-15-2019, 03:23 PM   #1
Cfitzkp

Water..leak!

so wondering if anyone else had this.. today i opened
my storage container on my travel trailer to find a couple of boxes wet with water inside the storage container not sure where the water came from can any one help me ...??
Cfitzkp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 05:41 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

If you find out definitively I would be interested in knowing as well.

Just before returning from FL in April I decided to get into my tool box (had not needed it) and found the bottom full of water along with the tray at the top. Everything was covered in rust and ended up throwing several things away. The tool box was in the bed of the truck with a weatherproof cover on the bed. Nothing else was ever wet in the bed....just inside the toolbox. I could only figure it had to be the high humidity and some way the black tool box inside the bed (which did get quite warm at times) formed condensation repeatedly and it just accummulated in the toolbox - only thing I could think of. I did however buy a new tool box that has rubber seals on all the openings; I guess we'll see if that makes an improvement.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 03:09 AM   #3
Cfitzkp

Its a brand new unit.. i dewinterized it 2 weeks ago but my guess its from the storage door some how..
Old 05-16-2019, 04:08 AM   #4
{tpc}

Is it one of the pass through storage doors? Brand new or not, the seals can be an issue. One of mine was mis-aligned from the start. I didn't see it on the walk through, but a simple adjustment and it was fine. Was actually so new that I could peel it back with th sticky still on it, and adjust and re-stick it.

Haven't seen an issue since. Personally I don't like how those doors seal, and how they are constructed, but it is what it is I guess. If I ever get a new trailer I will pay more attention to the details like this.
Old 05-16-2019, 10:53 AM   #5
Bullet Boy

Lay paper towels on the inside of the pass through storage and then spray your closed doors like as if it was raining,,,,if paper towels are wet, that’s where the issue lies!!!! If not, check your front vertical and horizontal caulk lines on the outside of trailer, even check the roof lines. Water and air find the path of least resistance. Good luck!!!
Bullet Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 03:59 PM   #6
Cfitzkp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet Boy View Post
Lay paper towels on the inside of the pass through storage and then spray your closed doors like as if it was raining,,,,if paper towels are wet, that’s where the issue lies!!!! If not, check your front vertical and horizontal caulk lines on the outside of trailer, even check the roof lines. Water and air find the path of least resistance. Good luck!!!
I put towels down so will see what happens...
Old 05-17-2019, 06:02 AM   #7
Lee

Please report back your findings.

1970 F250 Highboy 4x4
2013 Cougar 21RBSWE
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 10:23 AM   #8
bobbecky

Shortly after we bought our rig new, we developed a leak in the pass through compartment, and it turned out to be loose water fittings behind the convenience center. I had to pull the plastic wall to access the plumbing area and found several of the fittings barely hand tight. Once tightened, no more leak.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 01:48 PM   #9
slow

It may be entering along the top of the “hinge”. At first glance it looks like one pice but it is not. A bead of silicone solved my issue with water entering the storage compartment.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8013.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	21848
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 05:29 PM   #10
Cfitzkp

Well i think i found the problem jus dont know how the water is getting in..i hosed the door down for a couple of minutes and sure enough we had water inside the storage compartmant. It rained hard fro past 3 days here and thats my guess where the water came from idk if its a seal or what you said “slow” with the hinge... ???
Old 05-19-2019, 05:04 PM   #11
slow

The bead of silicone will not hurt anything and eliminates one possibility. Worth doing.
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
Old 05-19-2019, 05:19 PM   #12
Cfitzkp

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow View Post
The bead of silicone will not hurt anything and eliminates one possibility. Worth doing.
Im confused on where exactly your talking about with the hinge...??
Old 05-19-2019, 05:39 PM   #13
slow

Water..leak!

Post a picture of your baggage door top frame so I can confirm it is the same as mine.

The “hinge” on mine and many others is an extrusion mounted to the underside of the top of the wall frame. If the top of your baggage door looks like mine, the hinge is the portion that is round in cross section. Simply apply silicone where you see it in the picture I posted, just behind the screw (not above the top of the frame).
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
Old 05-23-2019, 08:10 AM   #14
mjwrobl

Quote:
Originally Posted by {tpc} View Post
Is it one of the pass through storage doors? Brand new or not, the seals can be an issue. One of mine was mis-aligned from the start. I didn't see it on the walk through, but a simple adjustment and it was fine. Was actually so new that I could peel it back with th sticky still on it, and adjust and re-stick it.

Haven't seen an issue since. Personally I don't like how those doors seal, and how they are constructed, but it is what it is I guess. If I ever get a new trailer I will pay more attention to the details like this.
I had to do the same thing after a year. You should see a depression line where the door contacts the seal all around. If its not contacting because of poor placement or shrinking, it will not be seal until you fix it.
mjwrobl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 08:17 AM   #15
babaloo

We had a water leak in our NEW 2018 Cougar 279 RKSWE.
No one could find the origin.
Finally, told dealer exactly what to do to get it to leak, and they found seals around shower base, not properly siliconed. The water was dripping down into driver-side pass-through storage bay, on inside of storage door wall, and also, inside, puddling just outside shower. Leaked first time out !!. Seems to be 'fixed' now. Good Luck !
babaloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 12:25 PM   #16
Dboland9

I had a similar problem with a small amount of water in the basement but could not figure out where it was coming from. I assumed that it was from the basement door hinge or gasket but could not get water inside by spraying the outside with a hose. Finally, I opened my eyes and realized that about 12 inches away was my city water hose plug in. Careful inspection revealed that the caulking around it was inadequate. Rainwater was getting in there and tracking into the basement. I recaulked it and solved the problem.
Dboland9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 01:44 AM   #17
fred.overmeyer

Check to see if your water pump has a strainer on it. I had a water leak that started suddenly and I found the strainer housing loose.
fred.overmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 04:24 AM   #18
{tpc}

The other thing that you might find is that the metal that runs around the storage door has two little holes in the bottom. I assume this is for "drainage" or something. However, this door is "outside" the seal, and while drainage is good and all, even with this at the bottom, there is potential for water intrusion up into the door itself. Especially after a hard rain, if the rain "pools" underneath the door a bit.

I left mine alone and I have one that was obviously got wet and dried out at some point, it doesn't show or anything on the outside so I have left it alone, but its worth looking at. I don't know if it would be better to seal over these holes or not.

Tags
leak, water