Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 07-01-2018, 05:18 PM   #1
cshrader

Satellite Signal Meter Recommendations

I'm new to satellite TV and recently switched to Dish Network. I'm trying to learn how to setup and point my portable dish and have quickly figured out I need to get a signal meter. I bought one of the cheap ($15) ones, but it was junk and didn't work. I'm ready to get a "real" meter, but I'm not sure which one to get. Anyone have any recommendations for a good, easy to use signal meter?

Thanks
cshrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 05:53 PM   #2
Badbart56

Can't help you with that, but we went from Dish Network to Dish Now, streaming tv. It ended up being much less expensive. You may want to check it out if you haven't already.

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 05:55 PM   #3
cshrader

Thanks, but Dish Now does me no good if I don't have internet access.
cshrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 01:48 PM   #4
bill-e

I can't help you with the meter but I can tell you to download a satellite finder app for your phone so you at east have a starting poing.

Personally having pointed dishes at my home many times I'm done with that. I got a Dish Tailgater for under 300 bucks. I just sit it on the ground, plug it in and 5 minutes later have my channels. $7/month turn on/off as you want. Easy to store, maybe 15" square and fits under my bed.

2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
2015 Cougar 26RBI
bill-e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 02:05 AM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

We use a wineguard carry out. Plug it in and let it find the sat, no pointing or aiming. They aren’t cheap but totally worth the loss of frustration and wasted time.

If your still adamant about pointing it try these guys:
https://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=sf-1000

I had this one for about one season before I switched to my carry out.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 02:21 PM   #6
cshrader

I'm adamant about having more than one tuner so the self-pointing domes won't work for me. I have a Hopper 3 that I want to use in my camper.

The cheap meters won't work with the Hopper 3 so no go there. Doing more research, it appears that with a Hopper 3 and the Hybrid LNB, you can only use the Super Buddy 29 and it costs $700.

I'm having a really hard time learning to point the dish. It is very frustrating. When I switched to DIsh, everyone assured me that with a few practices, it would become simple to set up and point the dish.

Oh well, I'll keep trying.
Old 07-03-2018, 03:36 PM   #7
cpaulsen

I use a portable dish....hybrid lnb's...hopper and wireless joey. I have been using a Birdog meter for a long time.......takes about 10 minutes at the most...usually less than 5 minutes to get all 3 satellites.
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 05:06 PM   #8
RoscoeV

Peaking the dish takes a little practice. Make sure you use the Dish assembly manual and set the Dish Angle and Elevation based on your zipcode and make sure they are as precise as possible. Next I put aluminum foil over the two outside LNBFs (119 & 129) Connect the cable to the 119 port on the LNBF. That is the middle satellite and center of the LNBF. Connect the other end to your Hopper 3 and using a compass move the Dish to the designated azimuth. Once you start to get a signal (using your check switch display) tweak it in to the best signal strength and make sure the display identifies the satellite as 119 and it's locked. You can then remove the tin foil from the other two LNBFs and you should have signal from all satellites ( 110, 119, and 129.

I hope this helps
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LNBF.JPG
Views:	218
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	17309  
2018 Ram 2500 Laramie
Pathway X2 with DISH Wally
RoscoeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 07:00 PM   #9
cshrader

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaulsen View Post
I use a portable dish....hybrid lnb's...hopper and wireless joey. I have been using a Birdog meter for a long time.......takes about 10 minutes at the most...usually less than 5 minutes to get all 3 satellites.
Do you have a Birddog Ultra? It appears from their website that the Ultra will work.
Old 07-04-2018, 07:05 PM   #10
cshrader

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoscoeV View Post
Peaking the dish takes a little practice. Make sure you use the Dish assembly manual and set the Dish Angle and Elevation based on your zipcode and make sure they are as precise as possible. Next I put aluminum foil over the two outside LNBFs (119 & 129) Connect the cable to the 119 port on the LNBF. That is the middle satellite and center of the LNBF. Connect the other end to your Hopper 3 and using a compass move the Dish to the designated azimuth. Once you start to get a signal (using your check switch display) tweak it in to the best signal strength and make sure the display identifies the satellite as 119 and it's locked. You can then remove the tin foil from the other two LNBFs and you should have signal from all satellites ( 110, 119, and 129.

I hope this helps
I don't have that LNBF. I'm pointing to the Eastern Arc. I do own a Western Arc LNBF for use when I travel across the country, but it doesn't look like that. It only has three ports.

Thanks anyway.

Tags
satellite