Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 03-17-2018, 04:28 PM   #1
dwall

RV Value

My father is ready to sell his 2010 Cougar 27RLS. I was wondering where the best site to find the book value of it. He is thinking of trying to sell it back to the dealer but I think that is not the best idea. Im sure he could do better selling to an individual but he is pretty stubborn and wants to do it his way. I just hate to see him get screwed.
dwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 04:42 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

I don't know the value of that trailer; there are any number of appraisal sites that would give you some idea. I DO know that trying to sell it to a dealer is a losing proposition. Just think about it; an individual wants to buy it for their use, they don't mind paying what it's worth; a dealer wants to resell it, he will not give you what it's worth because that's what they are going to ask when they sell it. If he's got the time and patience (father) - sell it himself or just resign yourself to the fact that you are going to lose hundreds/thousands of dollars right out of your pocket.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 04:47 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

There are several ways to get a "guesstimate" value. You can first go to NADA's website. They have an RV appraisal section located here: http://www.nadaguides.com/RVs

Next, you can go to GOOGLE and do a search for that trailer by year and model. The search will bring up all of the trailers for sale around the country. Try to find some near your area (trailers in New York or California will price differently than ones in Texas and Florida). With that information, you should be able to come close to what private sellers are asking and what dealerships are asking. Keep in mind, those prices are "asking price" not "selling price" so somewhere between what your research shows that's for sale and what NADA shows as value should be relatively close to what your father could expect if he sells it to a private party. Dealerships will offer wholesale price with the expectation that they will take the trailer in, spend some money cleaning it, showing it and the profits will be split between the dealership and the salesman's commission. So, expect significantly less from a dealer's offer and what you'd get selling it outright.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 04:50 PM   #4
dwall

That is my thinking also sourdough, I have looked at some sites but its not as easy as a vehicle value. We should be able to get a good idea of the value though. I would love to buy it myself but mine is paid for and I don't want to have a payment right now.
dwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 02:47 AM   #5
notanlines

Dwall, I quickly found three online from Georgia to Oregon, different dealerships, and the prices went from 15K to 16K. Pretty standard price I guess. My money says your dad's dealer will give him about 8K, give or take, and I'll bet he could get 13K on the market. All ballpark figures, YMMV.
He will need to keep in mind that the Cougar may be ten years old. Manufacturers are making 2019 now, and his may have been made in 2009.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote