Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 12-26-2011, 06:36 PM   #1
jbsmith

King Pin Lock Mod with PullRite Capture Plate

Today we pushed the new 5er back into its slot for winter storage and decided to toss on a king pin lock (hardened steel cylinder with slots for a pad lock). That's when I discovered that the PullRite capture plate has a set screw preventing the lock from sliding all the way onto the king pin.

I had to cut a notch in the lock with an angle grinder so it would slip over the nut. I started with a Dremel, but wasn't making much progress with the hardened steel. It isn't my best work with a grinder, but it did the trick. The photos show the trailer side of the king pin and offending set screw.

Any thief worth his salt could probably have this off in short order, but it might just slow them down long enough for me to reload.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0202.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	826   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0201.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	827  

2012 Keystone Cougar 331MKS
2018 RAM 3500 Laramie 6.7L DRW
B&W Companion
jbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 10:03 PM   #2
Str8shooter

JB, I have considered the same king pin cylinder lock for our 5'er. We also have the Pullrite SuperGlide with capture plate.

After reading your post I went out and looked at the plate on ours but no set screw or a hole for a set screw. Not certain why one would have it and another does not. Makes me wonder what purpose the screw serves. I guess I won't need to grind a slot.

Rick & Carol
16k Pullrite SuperGlide w/SuperRails
2011 Polaris Ranger XP 800
Str8shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 05:07 AM   #3
Flyguy

I too have the same capture plate as you (Part #3365) and I have been looking at the very same king pin lock! Didn't think about that set screw though, glad you mentioned it.
Timbrens
Flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 04:13 PM   #4
toneman56

I also have a Pullrite Superglide. Being on my third camper with the hitch, I have had two different capture plates. The first camper had the universal plate with has several flush mount screws that mount thru the hitch plate on the fiver. My first fiver had the capture plate welded. My second and third happen to use the same capture plate. It attaches by the set screw method. If you want to lock the kingpin simply loosen the set screw locking nut and the set screw and it will slide off the kingpin. I have done that several times when left for service.
toneman56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 11:43 AM   #5
chuckretnav

King Pin lock

You might want to look into a king pin made by a company called Enforcer. I use to drive 18 wheels and used that king pin log a lot. Once it is locked the only thing that will get it off is either the assigned key (each one is different key) or a cutting torch. It has been tested and proven. no hammer, chisle, or anything will break it. cannot punch the lock out. cannot pick the lock. the same one i used on my 18 wheels fit my fith wheel just fine. I have a 327res. I sleep at night knowing it will be there when i get back to it. They will have to remove the entire pin box and put another one on to steal it. Do a google search for it. Not cheap but you will sleep. Happy Trails
chuckretnav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 11:47 AM   #6
chuckretnav

Enforcer

This is one of the websites that carry the enforcer kingpin lock. Like I said not cheap. But you will sleep at night.

http://www.iowa80.com/DirectionsWEB/...p?itemid=10456
chuckretnav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 12:07 PM   #7
jje1960

Lock

Took me a couple of minutes to figure out what ya'll were talking about! I use this one.... Know anything can be broken, however hope it slows them down.
Attached Images

jje1960 is offline   Reply With Quote