Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 12-23-2011, 06:25 AM   #1
Johnnyfry

Outdated inspection and Canadian customs

My 5er and truck are licensed in VA and presently parked in San Antonio. We plan to pick up the rig and head to Alaska next spring.

Problem is that, although the plates are current, the inspection stickers on both the truck and trailer will have expired. I know that in the US outside of VA this would not be a problem, but what about crossing the Canadian border? Do they check the inspection stickers?

Can a vehicle be inspected in a state where it is not registered?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Happy holidays to all.

John
Johnnyfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 08:30 AM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

If you are going to be "just passing through" Canada and one or more Canadian provinces, I am quite sure you do not have to any kind of current inspection stickers on either your TV or TT. I cannot speak for the requirements of other provinces, but in BC, vehicles used for private, non-commercial use do not have to pass any kind of mechanical provincial inspection. In some areas, there is an "Air Care" aka emissions test inspection but there is no provincial-wide mandate to have that done. This requirement does not apply to out-of-province plates here on a temporary basis.
Our RV's have to meet certain requirements regarding propane, etc., but once it has the certified sticker on it, no further inspections are carried out. I cannot recall ever hearing about anyone who has had their RV pulled over for an inspection. And other than truckers, I have never heard of anyone being pulled over for a safety inspection either.
There is a licencing requirement in BC about towing an RV however. If your RV has a GVWR of 10,000 lbs or over, you must show that you have taken and passed a safety driving test AND be able to prove that your TV towing capacity is able to tow something that heavy. But again, I am thinking that requirement would not apply to out-of-province drivers.
It would be my guess that you need not have to worry about travelling in or through Canada enroute to Alaska if you have expired inspection stickers. Having said that, I am including a website and phone numbers that you may want to use to check into this more thoroughly:
(1) Canadian Border Services Agency: www.cbsa.gc.ca Border Inspection Services phone numbers: 204-983-3500 or 506-636-5064. Sorry I can't find any toll-free numbers for you.

(Remember, this is a Federal Government website and government phone numbers. Use at your own risk.)

Hope this is of some help to you.

On a side note: If you are entering Canada, please be aware that you are not allowed to bring firearms across the border - for any reason - and you will, if you try to sneak them across, have them confiscated and face a heavy fine and/or imprisonment. Just recently, for example, 2 couples were enroute to Alaska in a motorhome, and the husbands spent 5 days in jail and were fined $20000 each for not declaring several guns they had in their motorhome. The RV was searched and guess what was found? The couples, by the way, were retired seniors.
Old 12-23-2011, 08:44 AM   #3
geo

Festus2 -

You should also mention that in Beautiful BC, "double" tows are illegal. That is , one cannot tow a trailer or fiver plus have a boat or other trailer behind the first trailer. While this is not all that common in the States, it is not a rare sight.

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 01:13 PM   #4
Jim W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
On a side note: If you are entering Canada, please be aware that you are not allowed to bring firearms across the border - for any reason - and you will, if you try to sneak them across, have them confiscated and face a heavy fine and/or imprisonment. Just recently, for example, 2 couples were enroute to Alaska in a motorhome, and the husbands spent 5 days in jail and were fined $20000 each for not declaring several guns they had in their motorhome. The RV was searched and guess what was found? The couples, by the way, were retired seniors.
Festus,
I believe this is incorrect information. You can bring firearms into Canada, but you need to declare them and they may be required to be sealed at the border. The seal will be removed upon exiting Canada. I know of several hunters that travel all the time to Canada with hunting firearms to hunt and to skeet shooting events.
Like any country you need to be aware of that countries laws and obey there requirements. This is very similar to a CB radio when I use to travel with one to Canada. I wrote the Commonwealth government and obtained licenses to operate a CB radio in Canada. When we cross the border I provided a copy of the licenses to the Canadian border crossing guards and had no issues.
I also locked up and put away my Radar detector which is illegal in Canada. I did inform the guards and showed them that the detector was locked in a suit case in the trailer and not in the TV. We went through the crossing and on into Canada.
Jim W.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 01:26 PM   #5
Festus2
Site Team

Jim:
You are right and thanks for pointing out this incorrect information. I should have said that, under special circumstances and special permits - such as hunting, relocation, - they are allowed providing the proper declarations and documentations have been made upon entry.
It is still important to note that you can't bring firearms into Canada for "protection" - personal or to fend off grizzlies, polar bears, and wolves while camping. In the example I quoted, the two American couples had heard that in some regions of Canada, it is still "something like the Wild West and covered wagon days" in early USA history and they had come "prepared". Prepared for ?????
Thanks for clearing up any misconception my post might have caused.
Old 12-23-2011, 02:43 PM   #6
Outbackmel

Canadian Invasion

Based on this information, it "appears" Canadians are not well armed. It's time for the US to run north and grab the resources instead of concentrating on Mexico.....too many guns down there!

MERRY CHRISTMAS to all and to all a GOOD NIGHT.
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 05:31 PM   #7
larrym

I recently moved from Alaska to the lower 48, and brought my rifles, shotguns and hand guns with me. I downloaded all required documents, send them in and my authorization was returned via email. One of my serial numbers was incorrectly transposed to my authorization, they were more than accommodating over the phone, fixing it with several calls and a fast response email.

I was not permitted to carry a small .22 caliber piston, any barrel under 2.5 or 3 inches is not allowed. At the border crossing leaving Alaska, they made a stink about my BB pistol, I was not able to get the data needed to get an authorization as it's not technically a "firearm", it was a spring motivated .177 caliber piece. It got so much attention at the border, I told them to trash it and let me on my way. They searched online for this killer weapon, and finally handed it back and I was allowed to proceed.

BTW, I was required to have my pistols in a locked container upon arrival, they don't seal them, at least coming through the northern checkpoint. Also, if you don't have your affairs in order, there's no second chances or turnaround permitted, they will take them on the spot and you suffer the consequences.

I made two road trips between Texas and Alaska in three weeks, the first towing my custom car, the second with a motor home towing another vehicle, there was no vehicle inspection or requirement. Leaving Canada I was given the mirror chassis look see and once over for my prostreet car, then permitted to enter the U. S., after a couple of canned questions. I was also required to have up to date shots and health records for my two Goldens, with a vet's endorsement not older than 90 days.
Banks SpeedBrake w/IQ
18K Superglide
RideRites & Pump
8-71 Blown '68 Nova SS
21' Interceptor 212BR
'23 T-Bucket, Tunnel Ram 427 BBC

https://banners.wunderground.com/weat...t=40 width=467
larrym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 05:51 PM   #8
CarKath

Reciprocity is the best word to use here. In other words, what ever rules you are required for licensing in your home state. other states and Canadian provinces honor.

There are a few local rules and regs for each state and province. Nothing varies widely. And overall nothing to get worried about.

I made a post with Rules of the Road broken down. Have a look. Every state and province.

A good example of rules that are hard to find however ,is this.

In my province, we are required to have a " class 3 "or greater drivers license to drive any combination of vehicles over 10,000lbs. Including RV's ( I have a class1 ). Class1, 2 and 3 are equivilent to what you call a CDL.

My home province does have reciprocity with all states and provinces and honors what is required in your home state. So if your state says you need a regular licence, your good to go in Manitoba. FYI

Hope it helps
Dog : Tucker
Cats: Beaudie and Jangles
CarKath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 08:37 PM   #9
pjhansman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackmel View Post
Based on this information, it "appears" Canadians are not well armed. It's time for the US to run north and grab the resources instead of concentrating on Mexico.....too many guns down there!

Now THAT is funny.....

As one of the only people not packing sidearms to the Nascar races, I find it's easiest to surround myself with well armed Americans. Makes me feel safe
MOR/ryde Wet Bolt Kit, TST 507 TPMS, 1000w PSW Inverter, JT's Strongarm Stabilizers, and the list goes on....
Yamaha EF3000iSE/B Inverter Generator
pjhansman is offline   Reply With Quote