Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-24-2016, 05:57 AM   #21
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike484 View Post
I didnt see "turn on the air conditioner" on any lists.

After leveling the trailer and unhitching, my first step is to plug in the electrical, then turn on the air conditioner. This way, after everything else is complete, hopefully the trailer is beginning to get cool enough that I can go in and cool off after everything is set up. I am in Texas though, so the A/C may be more important to me than it is most anyone else.
For me, after leveling and chocking, I check the electric pedestal and then hook up the electric. AC goes on next, both units, and I turn on the exhaust fans (bathroom and over stove). Helps cool things down faster!

Before DW puts out road side slide out, I hook up water and sewer hoses. Contorting into a pretzel shape after slide is out is no longer going to happen! I'm just slow figuring this out, not stupid!

Remember, what's right, is what works for you! Have fun!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 07:36 AM   #22
RavensFan24

This post isn't about set up, but it's about breaking down camp. After you close everything up, get hitched and are ready to go, ALWAYS do at least one walk around to check and make sure all windows are closed, the TV antenna is down, all hoses and cables are disconnected, etc... One stupid mistake can end up costing a lot of money, so I always make sure and do a final walk around, no matter how sure I am that everything is taken care of, before I leave the campground.

This is especially true if you're traveling with someone else and split duties as to what to do to get ready to leave. They may have forgotten something on their to do list and it could cost you in the end.

https://forums.goodsamclub.com/Share...205_164040.jpg
RavensFan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 07:44 AM   #23
Desert185

An important I tem I double check is the that the fridge doors have clicked shut. If that final click doesn't happen disaster can result. I have found them not clicked more than once or twice.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 02:38 PM   #24
RavensFan24

I had that happen once and I ended up with hot sauce all over the place. The bottle fell out (Sam's club size) and the cap broke. It rolled up and down the main area of the RV for about 45 minutes. Luckily I pulled over to grab a drink and noticed the issue before the entire bottle emptied all over the carpet.

https://forums.goodsamclub.com/Share...205_164040.jpg
RavensFan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 03:32 PM   #25
Mike484

Best thing to do is make a checklist for both setup and takedown on a card, take this card out each time you set up to make sure you didn't miss anything, and most importantly, use the checklist when you breakdown your camp. Look at each item on the checklist, don't assume that you did it, like as said above, one little mistake can cost a whole lot of money.

2016 Passport 2890RL
2007 GMC Sierra 1500
Reese 26000 Weight Distribution and Sway Control
Champion 2800/3100 Inverter Generator

American Ranger Auto Gyro
Mike484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 07:02 PM   #26
the sodfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
x2^^ AC is important to us everywhere we go in the summer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike484 View Post
I didnt see "turn on the air conditioner" on any lists.

After leveling the trailer and unhitching, my first step is to plug in the electrical, then turn on the air conditioner. This way, after everything else is complete, hopefully the trailer is beginning to get cool enough that I can go in and cool off after everything is set up. I am in Texas though, so the A/C may be more important to me than it is most anyone else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfifield01 View Post
I have my wife pull out the electrical cable as I move the truck (right after unhitching). I turn on the A/C and then finish leveling/stabilizer. In the Texas summer, A/C is a top priority.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
Yup! My brother is a cop. He went to an elementary school last year to visit with the kiddos. He was talking to them about stranger danger and general personal safety issues. When talking about car safety, he asked them, "So what is the first thing you put on when you get in the car?" (Correct answer is seat belt) A little girl blurted out..."The air conditioner!" He said dang right and gave her extra badge stickers.
the sodfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 09:09 PM   #27
GaryWT

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzcop63 View Post
GaryWT:
Side to side should be level before un-hitching from truck, but if you are still attached to the tow vehicle when you adjust the trailer, front to back you may have a lot of pressure on the hitch which could make it hard to un-hitch.
Yes I know, just typed it wrong, thanks.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 12:08 PM   #28
LarrySharon

Location: Rainier, Oregon but my heart is still in Arizona and my wife's heart is in Oregon.
I agree about the youtube videos, there are a lot of info dealing with setup, parking and general good info. I used them a lot myself. I just got my TT this month a Hideout and we love it. I new in towing and backing. Never done it till last month, so far I have damaged anything. Good luck and have fun making memories. Navy Retired
Also: using a cell phone is a good idea, but you may encounter a time where your cell won't work. So it my be a good idea to get a set of cheap walkie talkies. We use them they are louder and easier to hear. But the cell is a good if can use them to help keep your hands free for maneuvering.
LarrySharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 12:13 PM   #29
LarrySharon

Location: Rainier, Oregon but my heart is still in Arizona and my wife's heart is in Oregon.
Remember everyone of us have opinions try them out and see what works for you.
LarrySharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 02:50 PM   #30
notanlines

Ravensfan, durn yer hide! I had almost forgotten the "lower the antenna episode." Makes one run right out and buy the little flag that hangs off the handle to remind you!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 03:20 PM   #31
JimQ

At one campground I realized the electrical pedestal was to far away for hook up and I had to hook up the trailer again to reposition. It only happened once (rookie mistake) and now I make sure the cord will reach before unhooking. Usually most campgrounds have the pedestal close by the parking area for your TT, but just be aware to check prior to disconnecting from your tow vehicle.
JimQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 12:54 PM   #32
Wantoride

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimQ View Post
At one campground I realized the electrical pedestal was to far away for hook up and I had to hook up the trailer again to reposition. It only happened once (rookie mistake) and now I make sure the cord will reach before unhooking. Usually most campgrounds have the pedestal close by the parking area for your TT, but just be aware to check prior to disconnecting from your tow vehicle.
We just stayed at a PA state campground that was far from level. Even with blocking under the trailer tires and the power jack at the lowest point we were still off of level by 3 inches. We eye balled it to begin with, I suggest looking a bit closer at level.
Old 10-29-2016, 08:20 PM   #33
temccarthy1

Re: First time set up question

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
You have received some comprehensive lists. If you are in a complicated site my wife and I use our cell phones to communicate while she tells me of things I can't see. I have hands free so I can just maneuver and talk.

Also, you did not mention a surge protector. If you don't have one you need to seriously consider one before you start camping a lot. I know the empty wallet feeling but our surge protector has more than paid for itself. The Progressive and Surge Guard brands are good and I would recommend the more expensive ones that show their line analysis.

Good luck on your trip and HAVE FUN.
DITTO on the Progressive brand Electrical Management system! we bought a 60 buck surge protector when we bought Our Bullet 2 years ago, but then started reading all the forums about how LOW voltage or constant HIGH voltage , not surges, can do even more damage and how common it is. I bought a Progressive 30 Amp Electrical Management system from Amazon this year.. pricey at $269 but LIFETIME warranty! In our 6 camping locations this year TWO of them had serious voltage problems so my system shut down our power if there was a voltage spike or low voltage and automatically turns it back on when the voltage returned to normal, saving our expensive electronics and AC unit. One NY state park had a serious over voltage of over 134 volts at which time the system shut down my power and this happened 4-5 times a day for the whole 5 days we were there! I spoke to the Ranger about it and he said they were well aware and the engineers hadn't gotten around to fixing it! He said he knew it will cause a shorter life to appliances and electronics but very few people have reported it because very few have a top line device like I do. Another campground in NY state had low voltage under 108 V several times and my system shut it down! GET ONE OF THESE! it gives constant LED readouts of Volts, Amps, hertz and error codes.. and can save you thousands in replacement of AC, microwave, TV, stereo.

Tim, Ramona and dog Scruffy
1982 Coleman Sun Valley PUP (retired)
2014 Keystone Bullet Ultralite 285RLS TT
2013 Ford Expedition XLT 5.4L V8 Triton
Equalizer E2 WD Hitch
temccarthy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 06:16 PM   #34
temccarthy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Ravensfan, durn yer hide! I had almost forgotten the "lower the antenna episode." Makes one run right out and buy the little flag that hangs off the handle to remind you!
Flag on the crank handle is a great idea! Thanks!

Tim, Ramona and dog Scruffy
1982 Coleman Sun Valley PUP (retired)
2014 Keystone Bullet Ultralite 285RLS TT
2013 Ford Expedition XLT 5.4L V8 Triton
Equalizer E2 WD Hitch
temccarthy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 03:27 AM   #35
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by temccarthy1 View Post
Flag on the crank handle is a great idea! Thanks!
I do not have a crank up so no dog in this fight. I have heard of and seen others hang their truck keys on the handle. This way you can't leave until you go to the handle. Take the keys down and put the antenna down.

I'm sure that if I had a crank I would have to do this as a memory tool.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Fuzion Impact 312
2015 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ
WELL....THAT WAS FUN!

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote