Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 10-07-2011, 02:55 PM   #1
Devildogmom

Exclamation Flat screen question

This is the first winter for our 5th wheel. Will it hurt the flat screen tv to leave it in the fiver all winter?
Old 10-07-2011, 03:33 PM   #2
hankaye

Devildogmom, Howdy;

Why take the chance ??????

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 03:45 PM   #3
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildogmom View Post
This is the first winter for our 5th wheel. Will it hurt the flat screen tv to leave it in the fiver all winter?
No, it will not hurt it. Think of all the flat screens sitting on the dealer lots all winter ..... nobody takes them home and tucks them in. Most tv manufacturers just recommend that you not use them below 40°F. After all they are shipped in unheated trucks and you probably run a greater risk of damage from mounting and removing. JM2¢, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 04:45 PM   #4
Festus2
Site Team

We've left our flat screen TV inside the RV for the past two winters - both of which have seen the temperatures fall well below freezing - and have not seen any negative effects. I plan to leave it out in the Cougar again this winter.
Old 10-08-2011, 06:35 AM   #5
Steersall4

righjt now we are watching ours (32") because our big ol'46 projection one went beyond fixin. our 32 rides going down the road in our Cougar layin on its back on the bed. many many miles that is not bothered it either. yes I remodeled the ent. center carfully to make room for that size. but did not come up with a way for it to mount. so it goes in and out before or after the slide out. I would not hesitate to leave it out in the trailer if I didn'rt need it in the house. when we are winter texans it goes.
Old 10-08-2011, 06:54 AM   #6
hankaye

Howdy All;

I was only thinking of the "Liquid" in the LCD screens. That it might freeze and ruin the tv. Being as how the OP lives in Michigan.. That's all.

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 07:16 AM   #7
Festus2
Site Team

Just finished doing some online research into Devildogmom's question about flat screen LCD winter storage. Hankaye is correct when he says that the liquid will indeed freeze if subjected to cold enough temperatures. However, this in itself may not cause any damage.
It was recommended that you check the specs of your owner's manual which should give you information regarding storage temperatures. The safe limits vary from one manufacturer to another but most seem to have their lowest storage temp to -15 deg F to -20 deg F.
As mentioned by the other Hank (too many Hanks posting back-to-back), the set should not be turned on until it reaches its recommended operating temperature. Again, you should refer to your manual (if you can find it or have one).
If it gets really cold where you live, it might give you peace of mind to simply bring it inside over the winter then you won't be worrying about it.
Old 10-09-2011, 05:47 AM   #8
Jim W

Hi,
I have researched this issue last year when winterizing our 5er. I came to the conclusion it is better to be safe than sorry. I removed the TV from the 5er and store it in one of the unused bedrooms of your house. I remove the 4-small machine screws that hold the TV to the wall bracket. Remount the TV to the TV stand and place this in the upper bedroom. This takes all of 5 minutes to do the hardest part is labeling the TV wires in the camper so the TV can be plugged back in correctly.

I live in northern IL next to Chicago, so we see all sorts of temperature swings in the winter. From a 60F day to a minus 40F degree night within a week of each other. This cannot be good for electronics such as TV stored in un-heated rooms.

When winterizing I also remove all dry cell batteries from warning devices such as smoke alarms, along with the main 12V battery in the camper.
Jim W.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 03:53 PM   #9
ftwildernessguy

The flat screen that came with our Outback is a piece of crap. I have hoped for the last two winters it would die, but the darn thing just keeps on going.
ftwildernessguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 05:46 PM   #10
mhs4771

Read the specs in the owners manual, should list safe storage and operating temps.
I don't plan on removing either of ours, but I will store them in Florida along with us.
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Ext Cab LT DRW Duramax/Allison pulling a 2012 SOB (still Thor, but not a Keystone), Dual ACs, 4 Door Fridge, Fireplace, Sleep Number Bed, Level-Up Auto Levelers, Disc Brakes, Winegard DirecTV SlimLine Auto Dish, Onan 5.5K, Splendide Combo Washer/Dryer, GY G114s on HiSpec 17.5 wheels, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Mor/ryde IS.

Michelle & Ann Sullivan and 4 American Shorthairs
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote