Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 02-15-2016, 12:00 PM   #1
{tpc}

Looking for a dining table and chairs...

So this past weekend we were at a camper show and noticed a lot of units with freestanding tables and 4 chairs. After playing around with one of them, I believe inside a Rockwood, we decided that is what we wanted. Of course I didn't spend the extra time to take a photo of it or look for part numbers or anything. Doh!

What it was, was a small table with just a center pedestal. It had a hidden leaf underneath that you could slide out from one end to make the table bigger. And of course 4 chairs.

Anyone have any ideas where to find this? I've read all the threads about removing the existing dinette, and that seems pretty easy. I think we have used it as a "bed" (more like an area to relax for the tv's sake) once, and we never use the under seat storage. Its hard to get in and out of as is, so making this mod seems like the way to go.
Old 02-15-2016, 02:01 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Some things to consider are whether you "really want" a pedestal table or one with legs on each corner. Our Cougar has a pedestal table screwed to the floor. That makes it "immovable". I unbolted it from the floor (thinking it would make it easier to use) and discovered that it's not stable enough to use without tipping. So it's "bolted down again".... Also consider that if it's not bolted to the floor, during travel, it may tip over causing damage to the wall, window or ???? A table with 4 legs won't tip as easily.....

Anything you buy from an RV furniture store or from an RV dealer is going to be "very expensive"... You can do a Google search for "square pedestal dinette sets" and find a large number of "workable solutions" for less than $400. The cheapest RV set I found was in excess of $800.

Good Luck on your search and on removal of the existing dinette booth. I think you'll enjoy having chairs to sit in rather than a booth to slide into since you seldom use it for anything but meals.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 05:12 PM   #3
CaptnJohn

I should go to my 5er later this week and can measure my table if needed. No fan of the dinette as we do not need the extra sleeping or the storage ~~ too uncomfortable. Short trips to a new area we only take 2 of the chairs.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 05:24 AM   #4
{tpc}

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Some things to consider are whether you "really want" a pedestal table or one with legs on each corner. Our Cougar has a pedestal table screwed to the floor. That makes it "immovable". I unbolted it from the floor (thinking it would make it easier to use) and discovered that it's not stable enough to use without tipping. So it's "bolted down again".... Also consider that if it's not bolted to the floor, during travel, it may tip over causing damage to the wall, window or ???? A table with 4 legs won't tip as easily.....

Anything you buy from an RV furniture store or from an RV dealer is going to be "very expensive"... You can do a Google search for "square pedestal dinette sets" and find a large number of "workable solutions" for less than $400. The cheapest RV set I found was in excess of $800.

Good Luck on your search and on removal of the existing dinette booth. I think you'll enjoy having chairs to sit in rather than a booth to slide into since you seldom use it for anything but meals.
Thanks for the advice. I honestly didn't look to see how it was attached if at all to the floor. The center pedestal seemed like a nice idea, since its more "open" but I'm not sure I like the concept of it being permanently attached. In my mind I was trying to figure out how it was held in place or how to hold it in place while moving. I did see a strap that appeared to go around a leg of each chair to secure it to the pedestal.

The takeaway for us is that the current dinette is serving no more purpose than the occasional eating area or just a common place to toss a coat or bag or something. A table with a small hidden leaf like the one we saw would be ideal as it would allow the room to eat inside comfortably. Plus it should "open up the floorplan" a bit.

I could probably live with it if it had to be attached, but it would be nice if it wasn't. At the end of the day, if it wasn't attached, the benefit to me would only be that I could remove it from the trailer completely and my guess is that is not practical as the door would likely no accommodate it without dis-assembly.

Cost is a factor, but if the DW likes it, much less of a factor lol. Maybe I should look to ikea for ideas, as they seem to like to make stuff that maximizes smaller spaces. If a did a table with 4 legs, I could probably utilize the former attachment points of the bench under the window to "strap" the legs to that wall. I could also probably utilize a similar strapping arrangement to keep the legs together...but I'm just spitballing now lol..
Old 02-16-2016, 08:26 PM   #5
CaptnJohn

On the current and last camper the chairs are stacked in pairs and strapped. The last I know was attached to the floor and suspect this one is too in the center. A table, sized correctly, could be strapped sideways to the chair rings and tight to the island when the slide is in. The extension is only about 6" - 8" and is held by a snap when closed. Much more comfortable than the booth only wish the theater seating was about 6" narrower to give that extra few inches of chair room to the extra around my belly, but still a lot more comfortable than the booths.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 09:44 PM   #6
GMcKenzie

Couple things I've noticed with mine. One screw in the pedestal has come loose and the table is noticeably wobbly. Need to fix that. The top will slide to one side or another, which is nice. I'm a big guy and don't always sit on the same side so being able to move the top is helpful. Not sure if this is an RV thing or if a household table will do that as well. The extension is nice and we put ours up as part of our normal setup. The chairs are just strapped together, but I've had no issue with them when traveling.

Also noticed that the dogs can't get up on the table like our last dogs did in our last trailer with a dinette.

There is even storage under the seats. Not a lot but enough to put the chair strap out of sight in one of them.

Have a feeling we are going to lose 2 chairs and just go with two.

Anyway, I really do like it better than a dinette. Wasn't sure I would when I bought the trailer, but as I have no kids and don't often have anyone sleeping over, I am glad it came with a table instead.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 05:40 AM   #7
{tpc}

I was actually looking at some 4 post ikea units. Reasonably priced, have extensions. The trailer is in storage so I can't measure. The 4 post unit would likely hold up to travel a bit better, and I think I could affix some straps to the outer wall to be used to hold it in place.

Of course I would need to come up with some sort of cushion between it and the wall so it didn't leave marks. Same with the chairs if strapped together and against the table.

I'm still going to look for that one I saw before as style and color it would almost be a perfect fit I "think" (have to let the DW decide on that though). My only issue as discussed with the single pedestal is that it is affixed to the floor, and while I have no issue removing stuff from the floor, knowing where and how to mount to the floor is another thing.

For adding secure straps to the wall I would hope to just use existing mounting holes left be removal of that dinette portion.
Old 02-18-2016, 08:06 PM   #8
theeyres

Our Arctic Fox had the table and four chairs--none of them were bolted down and I never strapped them down when travelling. None of it ever went anywhere and it was all very stable. So guess it all depends on your rig and the furniture. All I can say is check out what Arctic Fox uses and see if that fits the bill. The AF was a fifth wheel and built like a tank so maybe it didn't bounce around much...who knows...

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote