Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 11-08-2015, 07:20 AM   #1
Kdjshep

Florida to Colorado trip

We're taking the month of July off next year from our jobs. We are planning to land in Estes Park, Colorado. I would also like to stay somewhere around Dillon or Frisco for a week. Our daughter lives in Denver and will visit us hopefully. We enjoy the National parks and hiking. We figured it will take 5 days to get there. We welcome any ideas on routes and destinations while we are out there.
Old 11-08-2015, 08:40 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Well, from my experiences, I-10 through Louisiana is "the pitts", I-20 through Mississippi and also through Louisiana is "the same pitts". Travelling through Arkansas on I-40 this summer caused me to simply get off the interstate and take the "back routes" because of the rough roadway.

So, I'd think along travel up I-75 to I-70 and across Kansas and into Denver, then north on I-25 to Fort Collins. If you'd be inclined to stay closer to Denver, Cherry Creek Reservoir has some full hookup sites. It's "just outside Denver" and unbelievably "rural" for being so close. Make reservations NOW for CCR, they are impossible to find as we get closer to your travel dates.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 03:39 PM   #3
BOWWOW

Definitely make reservations for Estes Park. You will be very lucky to get a spot here in Colorado after Mid May. Dillon Reservoir is a very popular boating destination. Maybe consider the Leadville area a bit south. There is national forest dispersed dry camping everywhere in that general area also. My favorite hiking spots are around the Telluride. region.

2010 Fuzion FZ 302 has 12ply F-loads, Dexter ez-flex w/ wet bolts, 6 volt Deka GC 15 batteries, 1 gen battery, solarpanels, leds inside, replaced clear textured door glass with tinted, 87 gallons of loc-tite.
Decals removed.
AKA CONFUZION / PORH HONKY.
BOWWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 06:31 PM   #4
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Well, from my experiences, I-10 through Louisiana is "the pitts", I-20 through Mississippi and also through Louisiana is "the same pitts". Travelling through Arkansas on I-40 this summer caused me to simply get off the interstate and take the "back routes" because of the rough roadway.

So, I'd think along travel up I-75 to I-70 and across Kansas and into Denver, then north on I-25 to Fort Collins. If you'd be inclined to stay closer to Denver, Cherry Creek Reservoir has some full hookup sites. It's "just outside Denver" and unbelievably "rural" for being so close. Make reservations NOW for CCR, they are impossible to find as we get closer to your travel dates.
X2
I just got beat up again today on I-10 at Lake Charles Louisiana and Orange, Tx.
Anything else has to be better.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 06:28 AM   #5
hankaye

Kdjshep, Howdy;

You haven't mentioned if you are wanting to take your time on the way out
and back or make it a mad dash and get there as quickly as possible ...
that can make a large difference as to how you might plan your jourmey.

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 07:22 AM   #6
C130

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Man, that's the truth! I drove to Hunstsville Alabama to pick up our new toy hauler via I-10 and it was terrible. I came back through Mississippi via I-20 to avoid I-10 and it was about as bad. Back in June we went to Tennessee and I-40 between Little Rock and Memphis was terrible and just about beat us to death. Our interstate system is really bad, at least a lot of it is.
Old 11-10-2015, 11:30 AM   #7
TonyCO

Quickest

Quickest route is I75, I24, I57, I64, and I70. A couple of hills in Tennessee, but other than that pretty flat cruising.
TonyCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 02:35 PM   #8
Larry1013

Route wise, I would agree with TonyCO. I have made the trip to the area you are wanting to stay in Colorado the last two years in August/September.

In 2014, I stayed in Estes Park Campground at Mary's Lake. The RV park has many spots with full hook ups to include sewage, also free wifi. I do not remember the price but it was reasonable. It is close to the entrance to Rocky Mountain National Park. If you are of age, get the Senior pass so you don't have to pay park fees for entrance and other things. You are not far from Central City or Boulder and Denver itself.

2014 and 2015, I also parked at St Vrain State Park which is close to Longmont and just off I-25 north of Denver. You will have to buy a Colorado State Park day pass or a year pass to use the park.

I used Reserve American to search and reserve the spots at these two parks. Also there are plenty of Wal Marts and Sams along the way that you can overnight RV park. If you don't have the app Gas Buddy for your phone, I would get it so you can find reasonable fuel prices.

http://www.reserveamerica.com/

If you don't have these, I would suggest them. Wal Mart Credit Card gets you 5 cents a gallon off on fuel. You can put money on a Wal Mart gift card and get discount in most states.

Pilot/Flying J gets similar discount per gallon on fuel also.

2015 F350 Ultra Lariat CrewCab Long Bed 6.7L
2005 Keystone Outback Sydney 30FRKS
Larry1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 02:52 PM   #9
BirchyBoy

All good points here. One thing to keep in mind is the Colorado sun. Unless you really, really enjoy baking in the evening, look for a spot that has an East/North East exposure for your awning area. I'm from Maine and can honestly say that the sun here is different than on the East coast.

Unless you enjoy knowing your neighbors up close and personal in Estes Park, avoid the KOA. We were there last Fall and it's a dirt parking lot with no room.
'15 Open Range 256BHS / '05 F350 CCLB RWD V10
'14 Keystone Passport 238ML / '13 GC Trailhawk Hemi
RIP Birch (pitbull)
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 04:53 PM   #10
Kdjshep

Thank you everyone for the suggestions. We plan to take 5 days to get there and will take I 75 to I 70. We've been exploring campgrounds and the reviews. My hubby just got his discount card for the National parks while we were in the Smokies last month so that will help. We're moving the time off to mid June to mid July. I know we'll be competing for campsites since it's the busy season.
Old 11-15-2015, 12:21 PM   #11
Richard Noble

Take a look at Saint Vrain State Park near Longmont, CO. It is not to far a drive to Estes from there and the park is nice with really big sites. Very noisy on weekends. Really busy in the summer so you must make reservations ASAP. The St. Vrain river runs right next to the park.
Richard Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 06:04 AM   #12
Forrest

Since you live in Florida, you might want to check out Publix ads. They often have Fuel cards on sale for 20% off when you purchase $50 in groceries. The cards are good for a year. We have done this for years and have saved "Mucho" $$$
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote