Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 10-20-2015, 07:29 AM   #1
KSH

Parking brake?

I know it sounds silly, but is there anyway to engage the break manually when parking on a hill? I chock the wheels, but feel that isn't always enough.
KSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 08:46 AM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

Pulling the breakaway switch will engage the brakes but it will also drain the battery very quickly ...... chocks are the best solution.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 09:22 AM   #3
slow

I park our TT on a concrete driveway with a 5 degree slope using rubber chocks on the down hill side of all four tires.

I also use a vinyl coated steel cable looped thru the spokes of two adjacent wheels on each side of the TT for piece of mind. The cables are just long enough to loop thru the wheels and connect the two ends of the cable with a quick link. That way, the TT can not move very far if it was to move for some reason.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 01:39 PM   #4
Pull Toy

PLUS ONE for hankpage! Definitely don't pull the breakaway cable. One good sized chock on each side should do it. I prefer the tires on the downhill. That way you just move your rig and don't have to worry about running it over with the second axle, when ready to leave. Obviously if the terrain is that steep, have a helper retrieve the chocks, while you keep your foot on the brake pedal.

If your still nervous, BAL, and several others make a device to stop camper rocking. You place it between the tires and crank it down. This would work too, but personally it is overkill to me, and in long-term use puts unnecessary stress on the wheel bearings. I'd also be concerned about tire flat spots if misused! Stick with the chocks, you'll do fine

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 08:18 PM   #5
Ken / Claudia

You do not say if your leaving the trailer on a slope for storage or just parking over night. If your just parking overnight etc. keep it hooked up to the tow vehicle, put tow vehicle into park and set the brake. Do not do like a dealer here did, keep trailers on a slope without any tire blocks just the tongue jack down. Salesman and customers went into the rear and guess what happened, yes it did. It rolled across the lot and crashed.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote