Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 10-07-2015, 06:56 AM   #1
GaryWT

Leaving the gray tank open

Up until the last 2 trips, I always open the gray tank when I connect to the sewer and all is good. I close it the last night to get some water in there for the final flush when closing up. Has workout the past couple years. Well, the last two weekends, for whatever reason I have left the tank closed. I think it was because of the distance, I really could not put a "elbow" in the sewer hose so it would hold some water. Anyway to make a long story short, I have had to clean my tub at least 3 times as the tank gets filled and backs up in the tub. What a pain that is to have to go out usually late to dump the tank and then go in and clean the mess. Going to go back to leaving it open for sure.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 08:40 AM   #2
Javi

Okay...

We don't have that problem because we know how many baths we get to a tank and I dump accordingly..
Old 10-07-2015, 08:44 AM   #3
BirchyBoy

We've had the grey tank back up into the tub a couple times. I'm usually pretty diligent with dumping in a timely manner but have missed a few times. My concern with leaving the tank cracked open is the possibility of sewer gases coming in from all of the other campers. The P traps should keep it contained, but you never know.
'15 Open Range 256BHS / '05 F350 CCLB RWD V10
'14 Keystone Passport 238ML / '13 GC Trailhawk Hemi
RIP Birch (pitbull)
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 08:58 AM   #4
GaryWT

I do know that it would need to be done everyday as 2 showers and dishes one or two times will fill it but we added the baby this weekend plus I am so forgetful now that it just did not get done.

When I can I leave a dip in the sewer hose to create a block for any fumes.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 09:09 AM   #5
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryWT View Post
I do know that it would need to be done everyday as 2 showers and dishes one or two times will fill it but we added the baby this weekend plus I am so forgetful now that it just did not get done.

When I can I leave a dip in the sewer hose to create a block for any fumes.
We have a 38gal grey tank plus a 38gal galley tank so for us the dish washing isn't an issue. We can normally get 6 baths, tooth brushing and hand washing on a tank before I need to go outside and dump.. I also leave a dip in the hose if we are in a full hookup site but I still close the tanks and only dump when full..

Most of the time we are camped at Goose Island a small Texas State park and there is no sewer so I've learned exact what I can do as far as the grey tanks... and use a 35gal dumpette..
Old 10-07-2015, 11:16 AM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

Leaving the gray tank open

I simply dump my gray in the evening after doing dishes, close it and do it again the next evening.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 05:57 PM   #7
bmach

When hooked to sewer we never leave the tank closed. The only time it is closed is when doing the dishes the day of a trip so we can use that water to raise the sewer hose after dumping the black. I don't think there is any reason for it to be closed all the time when connected to sewer.
bmach is offline   Reply With Quote