Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-29-2015, 01:40 PM   #1
Tbos

Propane Regulator operation?

I've always had the selector on my regulator set to the tank I want to use. If that tank becomes empty will it automatically switch to the other tank if I have that tank turned on too? I simply can't remember what the kid said when he explained it during the PDI a year ago. If the selector is in the middle is it off or pulling from both tanks? Thanks in advance.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 01:47 PM   #2
Steve S

Somewhere in the search John, JRT has a great explanation on how it works. I only run 1 tank at a time as then I will always have a good idea as when to get the empty tank refilled.
Old 06-29-2015, 03:02 PM   #3
Pull Toy

I only run one tank at a time (30 years plus) that way, I have 30# in reserve prior to mandatory refill. When you're out you know it! So what do you do about it?

The minor inconvenience of running outside in your skivvies at 0200 to turn a valve, beats running out of heat at 0200 at 39 degrees, with no reserve!

I'm just sayin'...

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 04:33 PM   #4
MotownJG

My 2009 Keystone Cougar 5th Wheel has a manual valve you turn from one cylinder to the other. Found out the hard way there's a procedure to doing it in order to avoid the automatic shutoff kicking in - made me manually swap tanks one morning in order to eat breakfast.

Like the idea of being able to know when it's empty without it automatically switching and leaving me with two dry bottles...
Hoping to leave California in the next year.
MotownJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 06:27 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

It's apparent that a number of posters are not familiar with the operation and function of an automatic regulator. To "not trust it" or to "not use it" is entirely a matter of personal choice, but honestly, to not understand how it works and to be "afraid to use it" seems out of place in this age when we all are "chastised" if we don't know how to text and if we don't have a tire monitor system, backup camera, torque wrench and know the width of our wheels when installing replacement tires. Propane regulators, in their current version have been around longer than I've been RVing. They aren't new and mysterious, they are "old school technology"..... Heck, even this "old fart" figured it out in 1972 when as a 22 year old, I knew everything and didn't need to read the instructions......

Automatic regulators function without difficulty and automatically change from an empty propane tank to a full one. This keeps the propane supply constant to the trailer. It's an "advancement in propane delivery" that evolved before I started RVing in the early 1970's. To say that it's been around "since I was a pup" is an understatement.

Yet there are people who still either don't trust its function, don't understand how it works, fail to "followup" and check their propane system (the tanks won't fill themselves) and continue to say "it's the system's fault I ran out of propane" or "I don't want to be cold with 2 empty bottles, so I never use both at the same time."

If you think about it, just walking by and tapping each bottle with the butt end of your pocket knife will tell you if you have an empty propane tank. (that's for those who don't yet know how to read the window red/green indicator on the automatic regulator). There's no excuse for running out of propane either with both tanks open and the regulator changing automatically or with one tank open/one closed and manually changing tanks when your DW gets angry about the chicken not frying on the stove. All it takes is thinking about the propane system and checking it just as you do the battery water level, the tire pressure, lug torque and fresh water/holding tank levels. If you start with two full tanks, turn them both on and point the arrow to the right tank, all it takes to know if you have an empty tank is to look at which direction the regulator arrow is pointing and then look at the red/green indicator. If the arrow is pointing right and the indicator is green, you are using the right tank and the left tank is full. If the indicator is red, the right tank is empty (needs to be filled) and the regulator has automatically switched to the left tank. Fill the right tank, turn the indicator to the left tank and it will again be green. When that tank is empty, the regulator will again "automatically" change to the full tank (right) and the indicator will turn red. Continue in that fashion and you'll never have to get up at 2AM in the cold to change propane tanks. Initially, if you start with two full tanks, the system is "failproof". But, if you don't know the status of the "off tank" you may not have propane "when the regulator switches". You can't tell if you have propane in the "not pointed to" tank by looking at the gauge, but if you've been "filling the empty tank every time you switch the red indicator" you'll know your status. Even if you don't remember, a "pocket knife test will confirm the status. What could be simpler? If you don't trust yourself, the pocket knife "clunk/clink" test will confirm the tank's status as full (clunk) or empty (clink)...

Either way, it's really up to each person to determine how they "use" their automatic regulator and propane system, but for me, with two batteries, I'm not about to connect one until it's dead, then in the middle of the night, go out and switch to my good battery so I have lights. None of us would consider turning off the refrigerator (in case it might freeze the milk) because we don't trust the automatic feature, why would I want to do that with my propane system? Seems counterproductive to good use of "camping evolution" that occurred 50 years ago............

To each his own, I suppose

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 09:26 PM   #6
X-Treme

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
It's apparent that a number of posters are not familiar with the operation and function of an automatic regulator. To "not trust it" or to "not use it" is entirely a matter of personal choice, but honestly, to not understand how it works and to be "afraid to use it" seems out of place in this age when we all are "chastised" if we don't know how to text and if we don't have a tire monitor system, backup camera, torque wrench and know the width of our wheels when installing replacement tires. Propane regulators, in their current version have been around longer than I've been RVing. They aren't new and mysterious, they are "old school technology"..... Heck, even this "old fart" figured it out in 1972 when as a 22 year old, I knew everything and didn't need to read the instructions......

Automatic regulators function without difficulty and automatically change from an empty propane tank to a full one. This keeps the propane supply constant to the trailer. It's an "advancement in propane delivery" that evolved before I started RVing in the early 1970's. To say that it's been around "since I was a pup" is an understatement.

Yet there are people who still either don't trust its function, don't understand how it works, fail to "followup" and check their propane system (the tanks won't fill themselves) and continue to say "it's the system's fault I ran out of propane" or "I don't want to be cold with 2 empty bottles, so I never use both at the same time."

If you think about it, just walking by and tapping each bottle with the butt end of your pocket knife will tell you if you have an empty propane tank. (that's for those who don't yet know how to read the window red/green indicator on the automatic regulator). There's no excuse for running out of propane either with both tanks open and the regulator changing automatically or with one tank open/one closed and manually changing tanks when your DW gets angry about the chicken not frying on the stove. All it takes is thinking about the propane system and checking it just as you do the battery water level, the tire pressure, lug torque and fresh water/holding tank levels. If you start with two full tanks, turn them both on and point the arrow to the right tank, all it takes to know if you have an empty tank is to look at which direction the regulator arrow is pointing and then look at the red/green indicator. If the arrow is pointing right and the indicator is green, you are using the right tank and the left tank is full. If the indicator is red, the right tank is empty (needs to be filled) and the regulator has automatically switched to the left tank. Fill the right tank, turn the indicator to the left tank and it will again be green. When that tank is empty, the regulator will again "automatically" change to the full tank (right) and the indicator will turn red. Continue in that fashion and you'll never have to get up at 2AM in the cold to change propane tanks. Initially, if you start with two full tanks, the system is "failproof". But, if you don't know the status of the "off tank" you may not have propane "when the regulator switches". You can't tell if you have propane in the "not pointed to" tank by looking at the gauge, but if you've been "filling the empty tank every time you switch the red indicator" you'll know your status. Even if you don't remember, a "pocket knife test will confirm the status. What could be simpler? If you don't trust yourself, the pocket knife "clunk/clink" test will confirm the tank's status as full (clunk) or empty (clink)...

Either way, it's really up to each person to determine how they "use" their automatic regulator and propane system, but for me, with two batteries, I'm not about to connect one until it's dead, then in the middle of the night, go out and switch to my good battery so I have lights. None of us would consider turning off the refrigerator (in case it might freeze the milk) because we don't trust the automatic feature, why would I want to do that with my propane system? Seems counterproductive to good use of "camping evolution" that occurred 50 years ago............

To each his own, I suppose

What he said.
Old 06-30-2015, 05:39 AM   #7
Bowhunter

One more thing you may want to keep in mind. Turn both tanks off when storing your camper for any length of time. That way you don't find yourself with no gas. Small leaks can be pretty common, & left for extended periods can drain your tanks. We turn ours on a day or two in advance when we turn our frig. on to prepare for a vacation. We turn them off after getting done from a trip.

2002 GMC Sierra 1500HD 6LV8
Current TT: 2014 32BHPR Premier
2003-2014: 2004 298BHL Springdale
Bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 03:21 PM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

x2 on what John and Bowhunter said.

If you use the trailer much you get a feel for how much propane goes thru your system - lots more in winter vs summer, so you know to check the gauge every 2-3 days in winter or every week or so in summer. When it has switched you know you have time to run fill the other tank. In really cold weather with a holiday or something like that approaching I just switch tanks to the full one and go fill the other one to make sure I make it thru the holiday.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 08:13 AM   #9
Western Traveler

Thanks for the explanation how the red/green indicator works.

If I want to know exactly how much propane I have left in a partially used tank I pour hot water over the tank then feel the side of it. I will start paying attention to where the indicator is as that seems simple.

My old habit of only opening the valve on the tank I was using ended last fall on a hunting trip when I went to sleep in 50' weather and woke up at 2AM to snow, an inside temp that matched the outside temp and an empty propane tank on line.
I went outside switched tanks and then got out the manual.

2014 Cougar 21RBSWE "The Sugar Shack"
2006 F250 Super duty "Buttercup"
King Ranch Crew
6.0L Diesel
Bulletproofed
Reese Straight-line Dual cam WDH
Me and My Bride
Western Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote