Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 11-29-2014, 09:47 AM   #1
Richard6959

Help! Black tank flush water disappeared

I just tried using my black tank flush for the 2nd time. I hooked up the hose turned on the water and heard water rushing into the tank (I hope). The drain valve is open, but the water didn't come out. I let it run for a good five minutes, checking, looking waiting for water to spill out the belly. Nothing. The black tank is showing empty. Where did the water go?
Richard6959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 09:57 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

pull the other drain valve handles. If it comes out then either the flusher is in the wrong tank, or the valves are mislabeled.

Mislabeled valves seem to be a recurring theme. I would take a couple of screws loose to lower the coroplast and have a look to make sure it isn't disconnected and flooding the underbelly.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 01:45 PM   #3
Richard6959

I know which valve is which. I hear what sounds like water running into the tank, but its not draining out. When I flush the toilet, that water comes out just fine. I think my sprayer is broke, lose or something.
Richard6959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 02:00 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

since you know which valves are what, drain your gray(s). Then run the rinser for a minute and pull the gray one(s) again. If you don't get any water, then it's time to open up the belly and look.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 02:16 PM   #5
notanlines

I'm with the Chuckster here.....
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 02:25 PM   #6
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard6959 View Post
I know which valve is which. I hear what sounds like water running into the tank, but its not draining out. When I flush the toilet, that water comes out just fine. I think my sprayer is broke, lose or something.
Looks like you got three 34 gallon tanks, one black, one grey and one galley.. If I ran my black tank flush for five minutes and nothing came out, my first reaction would be to close that valve and open another one. Probably the grey water tank..

But that's just me...
Old 11-29-2014, 08:01 PM   #7
Ram189

Did the black tank drain before you started messing with the flusher??

If not you may have a drain line frozen or your valve is not opening when you pull the handle.

https://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...ps110a0f22.jpg
Ram189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 08:22 PM   #8
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram189 View Post
Did the black tank drain before you started messing with the flusher??

If not you may have a drain line frozen or your valve is not opening when you pull the handle.
That was my first thought but then I noticed the OP was from Florida .... and I don't think it has been that cold there ...YET! I'm thinking more like wrong tank label or handle has become disconnected and not opening valve. JM2¢, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 03:49 AM   #9
Wing-in-it

Exclamation

Funny, this post shows up...(not laughing) but we just had an issue on our maiden voyage...Thank goodness I have a clear elbow on my sewage hose set up...because our rig's tanks are mislabeled. Grey was marked black & black marked grey. The worst part of it was when I was using the BLACK tank FLUSH....I noticed water leaking on the opposite side of the rig (into the basement) I wonder if the 20 seconds running the Black flush with the BLACK tank closed it broke a line or is there a relief valve on it in case the black tank is closed when flushing? Anyone?

It's going back to the dealer to see what's up! And why during the dealers PREP did they NOT pick this up.....I'm a little perturbed to say the least.

2015 Fuzion 325
2020 Ram 3500 DRW 6.7 HO Aisin
Chesterfield, VA.
Wing-in-it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 03:58 AM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing-in-it View Post
Funny, this post shows up...(not laughing) but we just had an issue on our maiden voyage...Thank goodness I have a clear elbow on my sewage hose set up...because our rig's tanks are mislabeled. Grey was marked black & black marked grey. The worst part of it was when I was using the BLACK tank FLUSH....I noticed water leaking on the opposite side of the rig (into the basement) I wonder if the 20 seconds running the Black flush with the BLACK tank closed it broke a line or is there a relief valve on it in case the black tank is closed when flushing? Anyone?

It's going back to the dealer to see what's up! And why during the dealers PREP did they NOT pick this up.....I'm a little perturbed to say the least.
I'd guess that about half the dealership PDI "breezethrough" inspections don't pick up anything but what can be seen on a quick visual inspection. If you read through the forum you'll find far too many posts from members who have picked up their new RV only to find that the sink faucet wasn't connected, the black tank antisiphon valve was missing, thermostat not connected to the air conditioner, gas line on the furnace was not connected, refrigerator not plugged in, slide cables and guide wheel pulled loose from slide, and the list goes on and on.

While there are a number of dealerships that are conscientious and do a great job of inspecting and repairing new RV's before delivery, there are probably just as many that hire a "cleaning lady" to vacuum and sweep it out and pull it to the front of the lot for you to connect up and take it home.

I'd guess that there are at least 100 (maybe many more) posts from various members who have found their holding tanks mismarked.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 04:34 AM   #11
Wing-in-it

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I'd guess that about half the dealership PDI "breezethrough" inspections don't pick up anything but what can be seen on a quick visual inspection. If you read through the forum you'll find far too many posts from members who have picked up their new RV only to find that the sink faucet wasn't connected, the black tank antisiphon valve was missing, thermostat not connected to the air conditioner, gas line on the furnace was not connected, refrigerator not plugged in, slide cables and guide wheel pulled loose from slide, and the list goes on and on.

While there are a number of dealerships that are conscientious and do a great job of inspecting and repairing new RV's before delivery, there are probably just as many that hire a "cleaning lady" to vacuum and sweep it out and pull it to the front of the lot for you to connect up and take it home.

I'd guess that there are at least 100 (maybe many more) posts from various members who have found their holding tanks mismarked.
I know exactly what you're talking about...this is my third rig....It just erks me to no end that something as simple as this can cause serious problems because the dealer is to lazy to do a good job (or their job period).
Can you imagine if I didn't have the clear elbow on the drain and continue to run the black flush...

I will give my dealer a piece of my mind.

2015 Fuzion 325
2020 Ram 3500 DRW 6.7 HO Aisin
Chesterfield, VA.
Wing-in-it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 06:40 AM   #12
bsmith0404

I'm curious if the valve is actually not working. The first time I used mine I thought the same thing, then I realized the black tank was draining when I used the flush, I just expected more. You have to remember you have a 3/4" hose with regulated pressure, 50 psi or less in most cases feeding a 4" drain hose. You basically end up with a trickle at the drain

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 07:49 AM   #13
hankaye

Howdy All;

Could be that the infamous valve was installed backwards???

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 08:05 AM   #14
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankaye View Post
Howdy All;

Could be that the infamous valve was installed backwards???

hankaye
Hank -
Not a chance!